Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2005   #21
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

[quote=powda]-you cant get money out of cutting bradford being cut because he's not under contract.

I meant cut him from the roster.
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #22
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I believe Bradford's a free agent, so unless we sign him then cut him we can't cut him from the roster.

As far as Cole's goes, I just heard on SportsCenter that the Redskins are trying to back out of an agreement they made to cut Coles, and instead are looking to trade him. I guess that's so they can get something in return for letting him go.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #23
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

my point is that the talent we have at WR is nothing to sneeze at and our needs are greater in other places. If we fix our Oline then you may find that we dont need any more help at WR. Of course.. if that happens we will be stuck with a veteran WR sucking up cap space.

Stick with what we have.. our WRs are fine as they are.. get the weaknesses fixed before you try to accentuate our strengths.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #24
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sheeeesh!

I am absolutely laughing myself silly reading this thread.

Some of you don't have a freakin clue what a salary cap is. And some of you don't have a freakin clue why the Titans will be forced to release half of their starting lineup this upcoming season.

Laverneous Coles is a high dollar player. What, praytell, makes any of you think that we wouldn't be "blowing all our cap space" if we signed him?

Quote:
develop the talent we have....??? What is this the Astros board? We need to buy one or two players and develop the rest. The two teams in the superbowl this year both went out and got players. Dillon, TO, the Freak, you have to get a couple FA's here and there to be the best. Maybe we can compete with what we have, but at $60 bucks a ticket I want to see someone more exciting than a fourth string hopeful dropping an open touchdown.
Cap smap, huh?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #25
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Exclamation

Quote:
If we fix our Oline then you may find that we dont need any more help at WR.
Okay, I hear alot of people on this board saying this. But how are we gonna go about fixing the o-line when the front office say they are not spending anymore money on the o-line through free agency?? Please don't tell me ya'll recommend spending an entire draft worth of picks on rookie O-lineman
Old 02-21-2005   #26
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Texans need to spend an entire draft on fixing the O-Line. They can use a pick to upgrade one of the two weak spots on the line (Center and Left Tackle in my opinion). Use the rest on LB, D-Line, DB, WR, TE (especially if Joppru will never see the field).

Coles isn't worth the money it will take to sign him. He's definitely an upgrade over Bradford and would be a great compliment, but teams can't afford to pay 2 guys that want #1 money and still be successful year after year. If he'd sign for #2 money with a chance to be part of a winning organization sign him up. That's not going to happen, though.
Old 02-21-2005   #27
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Default Coles wants out of Washington...could he be our #2??

I know its a long shot, but what do you all think about LC coming to Houston? I know his nagging toe injury will pay a huge factor in this as will his contract negotiations with the Redskins, but with a WR combo of AJ, LC, and AG I think it would be a tremendous tandem.

Not only is he a good, fast receiver but the fact that his hate and discontent of playing for the Redskins and his injury could allow for him to go at a much lower cost....possible draft pick we got from Dallas for Henson and something in return??

What are your thoughts??

It was just interesting to see a receiver of his caliber about to be released.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2005   #28
texansfan88
All Pro

Why would a #1 WR want to come be a #2 somewhere else?
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #29
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Cause he thinks about a SB on his finger someday.... Time for charley to play our "Texans Legit Playoff Conterder Card" to get some good players into the system and not break the bank...

Like your the last piece of the puzzle, but we cant pay you that much... kinda thing
Baltimore has a better shot than Houston right now
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #30
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea I agree. He's much more likely to go somewhere where he's "the" man. Why come to Houston and get 2 balls per game when he can go somewhere and get alot more? I guess money talks but in this case I am guessing he can go somewhere else and get just as much money as he can here.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans had to release 6 starters because their GM wasn't properly managing the salary cap. Signing Laverneous Coles would be mis-managing the cap, and Casserly ain't about to do that. There is a good reason why Casserly said that he wouldn't be signing any big-time free agents. He would love to be able to go out and freely spend Bob McNair's money for every free agent that's released by another team.

Ever wonder why these teams are releasing these players?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #32
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Yea I agree. He's much more likely to go somewhere where he's "the" man. Why come to Houston and get 2 balls per game when he can go somewhere and get alot more? I guess money talks but in this case I am guessing he can go somewhere else and get just as much money as he can here.
I believe that Coles would get more balls to him as the Texans 2nd reciever than the Ravens #1!! Who would you like to throw to you???
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #33
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Just watch. If the Colts use the frachise tag on Edge, then they too will be in cap trouble in the distant future. The Titans have just nose-dived. The Colts are next. I for one hope the Texans are able to manage the cap by keeping the core of players in tact and adding some youth that can make an impact without the astronomical cost of a FA.
Old 02-22-2005   #34
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
I believe that Coles would get more balls to him as the Texans 2nd reciever than the Ravens #1!! Who would you like to throw to you???
Someone with the official stats noted that Coles was the third most thrown to guy in the entire NFL.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #35
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Just watch. If the Colts use the frachise tag on Edge, .....
Not to hijack the thread, but that was mentioned on 790 as most likely what the Colts will do by 4:00 today.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #36
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I apologzie for not addressing the topic of Coles in my previous post. I am a Noles fan and I think he would be a wonderful addition to the team, but I really have to wonder what the cost-benefit model would look like in this case. Right off hand.

Benefit- 1. AJ does not get "all" the double teams.
2. The defense would not be blitzing every down unless its Philly. (They just dont care.)
3. The confidence and veteran leadership on the offensive side of the ball would increase.

Cost:
1. Risk AJ or Coles not accepting a role of equal at the position. (They both would want to be top dog)
2. The salary cap number for Coles would be significantly higher than trying to get a younger player with similar potential to Coles.
3. Risk the chance of spending so much on WR that the OL gets ignored or less attention than needed.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-22-2005   #37
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Coles is a great receiver and could bea great addition to the team if the conditions and contract was right. So could Mason, Buress or a number of other guys. But any of those guys coming in with probably has multiple Pro-bowl appearances and experience and thus should IMO expect to be the #1 receiver.

That said - AJ is a great receiver also - dont get me wrong, but Competition for him at his level I think would make him a better player - not the other way around. How great would the options be if you have 2 Pro bowlers on the field? It would be real nice to have a Coles / Johnson combo on the field much like the Irvin Harper comboy combo was when they made their SB runs. Having 2 great receivers on a team gives the offense options and keeps the defense pinned back into more coverage and that will help give David more time to pass. Eventually one of the 2 will get open. With the Cover 2 most teams are using now on defense, Quick hitting hitches, short outs, curls, slants ie: a west coast style offense or run and gun would need to be mixed in to the current Run 60 pass 40 mix they have going to use the talent the way it should be and give us the cahnce to be a more passing team which caters to David's style moe. Then you also have Gaffney and Miller and DD too to think about. So many weapons - so many options. The thing is it's on Palmer to use the weapons if he gets them and thats where an offensive shift in playcalling would be necessary. IMO if you Mix in a dose of DD and 2 pro bowl receivers and you will see a huge difference in the Offenses production numbers.

my 2 yards
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #38
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make but my point would be that AJ is the number one guy here. There is no way around that.

Why would Coles want to come here and automatically be the number 2 guy when he can go someplace and be the top receiver...

That would seem to be the logical thing for him to consider. I do think he will go wherever he gets offered the most irregardless but I don't see the Texans paying him more than he can get somewhere else and I do see him wanting to be the number one guy wherever he goes.

He won't get that here for sure. David is going to throw to AJ more and that's just a given.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #39
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

As Marcus said I am no pro at the cap. But I do know all about creative solutions. With respect to Coles being a disgruntled No.2, that is a chance worth taking. We have already seen what happened in Carolina with Steve Smith (Mr. Ego) and Muhammad (Mrs. Ego). Smith is the No.1 guy until he got injured and the only person left to throw to was MM. Carolina paid MM No.1 $$, so can he and Smith get along, I guess we will see. And Delhome is no Carr. So I think Coles and AJ will get along too. Coles can ba a No.1 reciever on a rebuilding team or a No.2 on a contender, his choice. Maybe with the cap playing such a major role the FA receivers will come cheaper this year.
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #40
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

or he can be a #1 on a contender like the Jets or Ravens.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read