Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2005   #1
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229
Default Laveranues Coles

Text:
http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113254

Original link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb20.html

Found this on KFFL saying that Laveranues Coles could be released. I hate to bring up another "hey, this guy is available, lets sign him" but I wanted to see what people thought. What level of speed does he have? Would he be an upgrade over who else we have and how much money would he be looking for?

He's complaining about not being enough of the offense though, so I doubt Houston would look that appealing where he would have to settle for #2 money and #2 receptions.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Only way I could see him being a Texan is if someone tells him that the Texans run a "#2 WR is the main option" Offense

I think Dallas is a STRONG possiblity cuz of BP drafting him.
Old 02-21-2005   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Text:
http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113254

Original link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb20.html

Found this on KFFL saying that Laveranues Coles could be released. I hate to bring up another "hey, this guy is available, lets sign him" but I wanted to see what people thought. What level of speed does he have? Would he be an upgrade over who else we have and how much money would he be looking for?

He's complaining about not being enough of the offense though, so I doubt Houston would look that appealing where he would have to settle for #2 money and #2 receptions.
i think the complaint over "this guy is available, let's sign him," is not the Coles of the world but the guys who are wash-up or never had beens. Talking about Coles makes sense. Honestly, I am not convinced that he will get a gig where he is the clear number one. His best spot is probably opposite another WR who is his equal or better. IMO, he would fit great in Houston, but he may not want that role.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will end up with the Eagles. They have the vertical passing game he likes and the cap money to sign him.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #5
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Thumbs up So excited!!!

Coles is the perfect fit for Houston. He runs like a 4.2 forty. He was the speedster on the Jets before anyone even knew Santana Moss' name. And man he can catch. This would be a huge move for the Texans. He is the real deal and made Pennington look better than he was. Andre opposite Coles would be an awesome tandem throw in a little Armstrong (Jabar who?) in there too and you have an all league recieving corps. Then we can focus on Darryl Johnson in the draft. Anyone notice AJ came in second in the 35 yd dash in the Pro Bowl skills challenge to only Rossum?

Last edited by twinkletwinkle; 02-21-2005 at 01:14 PM.
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

and once we get all them we can toss Gaffney Armstrong and Starling out on their as*es

bleh.. id rather not get anyone.. and let our young guys mature. we have some great young talent.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #7
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
I think Dallas is a STRONG possiblity cuz of BP drafting him.
I thought Parcells left before that draft?
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2005   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
and once we get all them we can toss Gaffney Armstrong and Starling out on their as*es

bleh.. id rather not get anyone.. and let our young guys mature. we have some great young talent.
Armstrong and Gaffney are proven slot guys, but don't have the speed.

Honestly, what has Starling shown to everyone that we would expect him to compete for the #2 spot more than year or two down the road? The guy went undrafted and didn't get any real playing time. I want to see him develop as much as anyone, but if we signed Coles to say a 3 year deal, his contract would expire about the time our developing #2 speedsters should be more than ready to move up.

Old 02-21-2005   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

How about his running mate Rod Gardener? Big physical receiver but hasn't lived upto potential yet. He could be a good no.2 guy imho.
Old 02-21-2005   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

This almost guarantees that the Redskins will either take Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams @ #9.
Old 02-21-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Starling was getting open and making plays when he was in the game.

as for having not enough speed to be the #2 guy... yah there are times when our #2 is gonna need to stretch the field.. thats when you bring in Starling.. otherwise, having Armstrong or Gaffney in isnt gonna hurt anything.

Honestly.. we do not need another WR.. we need to develope the talent we have.
Old 02-21-2005   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Starling was getting open and making plays when he was in the game.

as for having not enough speed to be the #2 guy... yah there are times when our #2 is gonna need to stretch the field.. thats when you bring in Starling.. otherwise, having Armstrong or Gaffney in isnt gonna hurt anything.

Honestly.. we do not need another WR.. we need to develope the talent we have.
When was Starling getting open and making plays? Possibly preseason? He didn't have a single reception all season.

I am all for developing these guys, but that's what they are: "Developing". If we had a deep threat that opposing defenses were actually worried about, it would open up chances for Gaffney and Armstrong underneath (and hopefully Joppru) and running the ball would be a lot easier. Protecting Carr would also be a lot easier since teams wouldn't be able to blitz as aggressively.

Old 02-21-2005   #13
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

develop the talent we have....??? What is this the Astros board? We need to buy one or two players and develop the rest. The two teams in the superbowl this year both went out and got players. Dillon, TO, the Freak, you have to get a couple FA's here and there to be the best. Maybe we can compete with what we have, but at $60 bucks a ticket I want to see someone more exciting than a fourth string hopeful dropping an open touchdown.
Old 02-21-2005   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

So yall dont think we should develope our current talent.. and instead should blow all our cap space on some pro bowl WR?

great idea :P.

I guess we will see which one of us was right by the beggining of next season.
Old 02-21-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

and btw.. we DO have a deep threat.. his name is Andre Johnson... and him and bradford going deep didnt do a dang thing for our pass protection. It hardly matters when Carr only has 3 seconds to throw the ball.

And look around the league.. look at how many teams dont need two 4.3 40 WRs to be successful.
Old 02-21-2005   #16
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So yall dont think we should develope our current talent.. and instead should blow all our cap space on some pro bowl WR?

great idea :P.

I guess we will see which one of us was right by the beggining of next season.
I never said I don't want to develop the current talent, and I never once advocating "blowing all our cap space".

What I wanted was a WR that's been around a few years with elite speed so we aren't so predictable. So Johnson/Coles can burn the D to the point they learn their lesson. None of the others can. I wonder who they are going to roll the coverage to?? This doesn't take a college degree to figure out. If Starling is a great WR in a couple years and solves all those problems, then great. At that point Coles (or similar equivalent) will be towards the end of their contract and Starling can step in without the offense missing a beat.

And I don't really know how signing/not signing Coles will prove one of us right and one of us wrong. I'm saying it would help our offense, not that Casserly would necessarily sign the guy.

Old 02-21-2005   #17
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

I dont think there is a chance we will get Coles, Porter, or even the late great Rice. The team won't spend the dough to make it happen (I can wish though). Can you blame them when half of the fan base will be happy coming in 9-7; second to Indianapolis from now until Manning retires. Look at Seattle, you can have the best on paper guys around but if they can't catch you don't win.

I am for devolping talent but the WRs on the FA market this year we already KNOW can catch, and in Coles case, can run too. Cap Smap pay a WR and maybe a lineman, and cut Bradford to make the room. What do we lose 10 catches a year? Besides two speedsters on the corners will leave DD open over the middle for an extra 5 yards a completion.
Old 02-21-2005   #18
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63569 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle
Cap Smap pay a WR and maybe a lineman, and cut Bradford to make the room. What do we lose 10 catches a year? Besides two speedsters on the corners will leave DD open over the middle for an extra 5 yards a completion.
-you cant get money out of cutting bradford because he's not under contract.

-your not going to find another reciever with speed much better then bradford ,and you know what little effect that had on opposing defenses in our short history.

dont get me wrong, im all for developing talent ,and in the meantime signing a vetran wr. BUT until we have a proven running game and an offensive line that can give carr longer then 2 1/2 seconds its probably a poor investment.

sign a vet reciever to a short term contract at a reasonable rate...aside from that i think we're better off aquiring a reciever on the first day of the draft. coles will not be cheap. thats a pipe dream.

Last edited by powda; 02-21-2005 at 06:57 PM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #19
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Sure, its a total pipe dream. We need an OL. The Eagles were good enough that TO could make an immediate impact (though any change in that recieving corps was a good one). If we spend next year timing every play for how long it takes Carr to get creamed, a reciever won't help. But we have heard that the Texans won't spend $$ on the FA market for OL this year. So in the meantime Coles is a burner and fun to watch. Or, how about we trade down and pick Clayton and get another pick TBD. I hate OU but that Clayton can catch the ball.
Old 02-21-2005   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would pick up Coles in a heartbeat. Coles is head and shoulders above Bradford. He can improve the offensive line just by getting open or drawing coverage off of AJ so there will be much less coverage sacks. Carr holds the ball instead of throwing it away and gets sacked. He will probably want more than we can pay him though but it is still nice to dream.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read