Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2009   #1
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Updated Corner Statistics

It's been a few weeks since we last took a look at the Texans corner statistics, so I figured it was a good time for an update.

They are sorted by the rankings column, which is a formula taking into account plays in coverage, yards, and receptions. It's not perfect, but it will do as a preliminary sort, and does correspond for the most part with who I think are the best cover corners.

CS1 is yards surrendered per play in coverage. (Lower is better)
CS2 is plays in coverage per reception allowed. (Higher is better)

These rankings are only coverage stats, and don't include the player's value in run support, or as a playmaker (INTs, Fumbles, Defensive TDs). They are not adjusted for strength of competition.

Green = above average for the 75 corners tracked
Red = bellow average

A handful of players have been discarded from this table for limited sample size, though their play would put them in the top 32. Darius Butler (NE) is the highest rated player I've tracked, with a ranking score of 106.58, but that is largely influenced by his limited number of snaps, and the WRs he's covered as the nickle/dime corner.

*Snaps, plays in coverage, yards, Thrown at and Receptions courtesy of Profootballfocus.com

Glover Quin is 41st.

With Reeves at 16 and Robinson at 24 the Texans have a top 10 cover corner tandem, even if they're not exactly exciting playmakers.

Robinson would actually be ranked a lot higher if the receptions he allowed were not 13 yards down the field. Help over the top, and a better passrush would help that.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Goatcheese; 10-31-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #2
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Updated Corner Statistics

Interesting!
Old 10-30-2009   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Jack Reeve is TERRIBLE
Old 10-31-2009   #4
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

great read
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
Jack Reeve is TERRIBLE
Then what does this report say about Dunta?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Then what does this report say about Dunta?
I think he was being sarcastic. Reeves has easily been our best cornerback this year and last year. Excellent signing by our FO.

I can't believe Aso has only been thrown at 8 times all year
Old 10-31-2009   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
It's been a few weeks since we last took a look at the Texans corner statistics, so I figured it was a good time for an update.
Please provide a link each time you quote or screen capture from another site. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think he was being sarcastic. Reeves has easily been our best cornerback this year and last year. Excellent signing by our FO.

I can't believe Aso has only been thrown at 8 times all year
How many games has he played in?

And I disagree about Reeves being our best CB.
But everybody has the rights to think what they want!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

And I disagree about Reeves being our best CB.
But everybody has the rights to think what they want!
Reeves was clearly the best CB on the team last year. This year, I'm not sure, but I may give the nod to Glover Quin.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Please provide a link each time you quote or screen capture from another site. Thanks.
The stats are from the same site as the last thread, and the image is from my excel spreadsheet.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 10-31-2009   #11
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
All of them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=4489
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave532 View Post
lol!
Old 10-31-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Reeves was clearly the best CB on the team last year. This year, I'm not sure, but I may give the nod to Glover Quin.
Thorn has whiskey.
What do y'a drink, dale?
Old 10-31-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The stats are from the same site as the last thread, and the image is from my excel spreadsheet.
I understand that the stats are from the same site but we need a link each time to avoid Texanstalk getting in trouble. If someone from profootballfocus.com saw this post they aren't going to research if they have ever been given credit before. And clearly all the color and content even if dumped into your spreadsheet comes from them. Just help us out in not getting the site in trouble, ok?
Old 10-31-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thorn has whiskey.
What do y'a drink, dale?
personal preference is beer/wine
Barrett makes me drink whiskey at the football games.
Old 10-31-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thorn has whiskey.
What do y'a drink, dale?
By the way, I'm not trying to insult Dunta. I have more confidence in Dunta. I just wanted to pay some respect to Quin's play the first half of this season. He was playing well when Dunta was shaking off the rust, Reeves was hobbled, and Bennett was hurting my eyes!
Old 10-31-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
By the way, I'm not trying to insult Dunta. I have more confidence in Dunta. I just wanted to pay some respect to Quin's play the first half of this season. He was playing well when Dunta was shaking off the rust, Reeves was hobbled, and Bennett was hurting my eyes!
I think I understand!

Reeves improved in the last half of the year in 08.
I hope he continues to improve.

IMO, Dunta is still the best CB we have; you have to project a player through at least some 8-10 games to value him, I would think.

Quin had his bad moments early on, but I'm liking him more and more.
Looks like he has a bright future. But then again, it's too early to say!
Old 10-31-2009   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I understand that the stats are from the same site but we need a link each time to avoid Texanstalk getting in trouble. If someone from profootballfocus.com saw this post they aren't going to research if they have ever been given credit before. And clearly all the color and content even if dumped into your spreadsheet comes from them. Just help us out in not getting the site in trouble, ok?
Sure, I edited this into my OP.

Quote:
*Snaps, plays in coverage, yards, Thrown at and Receptions courtesy of Profootballfocus.com

Old 10-31-2009   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think I understand!

Reeves improved in the last half of the year in 08.
I hope he continues to improve.

IMO, Dunta is still the best CB we have; you have to project a player through at least some 8-10 games to value him, I would think.

Quin had his bad moments early on, but I'm liking him more and more.
Looks like he has a bright future. But then again, it's too early to say!
I love Dunta! I think he's a good CB and a better football player. He, understandably, had a poor season last year and I think was misused during Richard Smith's tenure. He is great in zone coverage, when he has some freedom to look into the backfield. If we had a true shutdown corner on the other side, he'd make as many plays as Ronde Barber has over the course of his career. I'm expecting to see Dunta do some blitzing as the season wears on. He sure was a good CB blitzer back in 2004-05. I'm surprised we haven't seen it this year.
Old 10-31-2009   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I love Dunta! I think he's a good CB and a better football player. He, understandably, had a poor season last year and I think was misused during Richard Smith's tenure. He is great in zone coverage, when he has some freedom to look into the backfield. If we had a true shutdown corner on the other side, he'd make as many plays as Ronde Barber has over the course of his career. I'm expecting to see Dunta do some blitzing as the season wears on. He sure was a good CB blitzer back in 2004-05. I'm surprised we haven't seen it this year.
As long as our LBs are still getting torched, I don't think we'll see a corner blitz, LOL!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read