Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2009   #1
BossChief
the troll

Default Hows Pollard doing?

Im obviously a Chiefs fan, I was a little shocked that Pollard was let go, most likely because he didnt fit what the new coaching staff wanted from their safety.

He was always a good player and one of my favorites. Always going for the strip and laying the wood in run support.

He also pulled an ole' a couple times a game trying for the big hit instead of wrapping up and showing discipline.

My question to you guys is, how is he doing with a better front seven to cause some rushed passes?

What is your opinions on how he has done against the run? I bet he has helped.

Whats the overall thought of the fan base on how he has played so far.

Im also here to offer my opinions on him if you guys have questions.

Let the discussion begin.
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #2
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hows Pollard doing?

Pollard has been a big help to the defense. With his addition, Reeves coming back from injury, and Robinson and Cushing getting into game shape the defense has been much improved over the past 4 weeks.
Old 10-30-2009   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
Im obviously a Chiefs fan, I was a little shocked that Pollard was let go, most likely because he didnt fit what the new coaching staff wanted from their safety.

He was always a good player and one of my favorites. Always going for the strip and laying the wood in run support.

He also pulled an ole' a couple times a game trying for the big hit instead of wrapping up and showing discipline.

My question to you guys is, how is he doing with a better front seven to cause some rushed passes?

Pollard may have saved our season!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #4
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a DVR champ like some guys but when he and Quinn took over for the 2 bums we had before the big run plays stopped. He has been solid at defending the run, however I can't say how he's played in coverage since I don't have access to game film.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #5
BossChief
the troll

Have you guys given up more/less big plays since he was added, was another question I wanted to add.
Old 10-30-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you guys given up more/less big plays since he was added, was another question I wanted to add.
much, much less. He is a credible, not elite, but credible front line NFL SS...something we really didn't have.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a real strict film watcher either, the most I do is watch the game over again just to catch a few things. As folks have already said, a conclusion can be made we are a better team with Pollard than without.

If you are a Pollard fan, I can say without a doubt we appreciate him on our team, and sorry for your loss. We've been without good safeties for so long now it's wonderful to get some decent play out of the position.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2009   #8
Ckw

Quote:

The bold says it all. He isn't very good in coverage but man when he came in, our run defense seemed to get exponentially better. Very good signing in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2009   #9
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
much, much less. He is a credible, not elite, but credible front line NFL SS...something we really didn't have.
In terms of purely stopping the run and giving us the confidence boost needed to do so, he is the tied with Cushing (First round draft pick, #15.) as the team defensive MVP. These two have competely turned around the team and their mentality
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
The bold says it all. He isn't very good in coverage but man when he came in, our run defense seemed to get exponentially better. Very good signing in my opinion.
He's played pretty well in coverage. VD lit us up but much of that is on the linebackers not getting a jam when he was over the top. In man he has been better than expected.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #11
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

And to add to just the identity change we've been seeing on the team as a whole.

Cushing and Pollard hits and just overall meaness seems to have inspired the entire LB core, they just fly around and HIT. Yeah yeah, a late hit here and there, but man, thats what we NEED. Once this D gets their identity, LOOK OUT.

Mario and Okoye are playing with some heat also, I'm sure knowing they got some MISSLES flying around behind them, I am sure having a security blanket behind you lets you do more on the front end.

Then, we got Mr. Pass I on the backend, who is good for a good jaw buster every game.

Just combine everything together and we are def. undergoing that identity change.

And on offense! Man, when AJ gets PUMPED up (IE Titans game), this team RESPONDS.
Old 10-30-2009   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am loving the signing of Pollard. We were really struggling at the position so one team's castoff was our team's treasure. He might struggle a bit in coverage but he makes up for in playing against the run. He brings the wood, loves to give out a hard hit and plays with intensity. Maybe just an average safety with respect to the rest of the NFL but was a definite upgrade for us. We have not given up those big run plays since he has been on board.
Old 10-30-2009   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No offense, but after watching replays of recent Chiefs games, any Safety could do better than what y'all currently have out there. I might be off base here, but I just can't see how Pollard wouldn't fit better than who you've got now.

We're happy with Pollard so far. A couple mistakes in the passing game, but he's been an improvement overall.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He's played pretty well in coverage. VD lit us up but much of that is on the linebackers not getting a jam when he was over the top. In man he has been better than expected.
Thanks man. I guess the San Fran game is still too fresh in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love the attitude the guy brings to the team. Also, your SS doesn't really need to be great in coverage; his main job is run support if I am not mistaken. So far, the guy looks like he is a steal.
Old 10-30-2009   #15
BossChief
the troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
No offense, but after watching replays of recent Chiefs games, any Safety could do better than what y'all currently have out there. I might be off base here, but I just can't see how Pollard wouldn't fit better than who you've got now.

We're happy with Pollard so far. A couple mistakes in the passing game, but he's been an improvement overall.

Thanks
I agree with this 100%

Im not Todd Haley

I could understand if they traded him and got something, but I was quite disappointed when we he was released.

Makes me think they are setting up to draft a safety with a top pick...
Old 10-30-2009   #16
Section516 
Warrior

Quote:
I agree with this 100%

Im not Todd Haley

I could understand if they traded him and got something, but I was quite disappointed when we he was released.

Good luck to you. I *ALMOST* wish we lost enough games for a top 10 pick. Eric Berry have my babies
Old 10-30-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with this 100%

Im not Todd Haley

Oline, my man. Y'all need some Oline help. We've been there, done it and still kinda doing it.

Haley seems like he's an all biddness kinda guy, no? I think he'll get'r done in KC eventually.
Old 10-30-2009   #18
Section516 
Warrior

Quote:
Oline, my man. Y'all need some Oline help. We've been there, done it and still kinda doing it.

Haley seems like he's an all biddness kinda guy, no? I think he'll get'r done in KC eventually.
We're almost there Hou-Tex. Almost.

It insprires me to see how we have so little absolute NEEDS on the upcoming draft.

Safety, DT, CB*

then wants to needish: Thumper, Interior Oline.
Old 10-30-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
We're almost there Hou-Tex. Almost.

It insprires me to see how we have so little absolute NEEDS on the upcoming draft.

Safety, DT, CB*

then wants to needish: Thumper, Interior Oline.
Considering our running game sucks primarily due to the interior line, I'd say it's a definite need.

Anywho, no need to talk draft yet. Loads of football left.
Old 10-30-2009   #20
Section516 
Warrior

Quote:
Considering our running game sucks primarily due to the interior line, I'd say it's a definite need.

Anywho, no need to talk draft yet. Loads of football left.
Indeed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read