Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-20-2005   #1
Doom Capers
Veteran

Default Derrick Mason

I guess he is being let go by the Titans. You know the drill.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #2
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

If we could get him, he would definitely take alot of pressure of Andre and those two would be Bruce/Holt part 2 IMO.
Old 02-21-2005   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to get him!!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

entirely unnecessary. money that would be better spent elsewhere.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #5
NeViKaN
Rookie

Donít get me wrong. Iíd love for him to be here, BUT wouldnít he want to be a #1, and not under AJís shadow. Second, spending the money on him would not leave much for our O line? Who cares if you had AJ, Moss, and TO, if Carr does not have the time to throw then what would it matter in having the best receiving core that the NFL has ever seen.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Mason is interesting because he seems like a quality team player. However, I don't see him coming here. I would kind of like to develop the young guys we already have, but if Mason would play for the veteran minimum or a little more then he'd be a great to have for a year or two.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #7
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeViKaN
Second, spending the money on him would not leave much for our O line?
I thought the front office said they were not spending any more money on the O-line through free agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeViKaN
Who cares if you had AJ, Moss, and TO, if Carr does not have the time to throw then what would it matter in having the best receiving core that the NFL has ever seen.
You would be saying the exact opposite if we had all Pro Bowlers on the O-line with no WR's to throw too IMO
Old 02-21-2005   #8
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I WANT HIM! pipe dreams , man, if it were only that easy
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #9
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

yeah, to keep it simple - id want him here!! hes just what the doctor ordered for our offense.
Old 02-21-2005   #10
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I thought the front office said they were not spending any more money on the O-line through free agency

Ok, then I should have said IMO money should be spent on the line before our receiving core. IMO Mason would be great here but why would he move from a #1 down to a #2. With that kind of pay cut the titans could probably keep him. Na guess not.

You would be saying the exact opposite if we had all Pro Bowlers on the O-line with no WR's to throw too IMO
This would be a correct statement. If our receivers needed more help than the o-line then I would agree that that is what I would say. But the case is that IMO Carr and the receiving core are just fine, but the time for their plays to come together is diminished by the lack of time that the o-line gives them. SO on that note, yes we need help on the o-line more that any other position on the team........................followed closely by the d-line. Trust me I hope they all play like all-stars next year but something has to change.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeBC32
I would love to have him. But what about his opinion of our field being one of the worst in the league? I wonder how much that factors into if he wants to play here if we offered?
I really doubt that will have much of an effect on his decision. I think he's a little more concerned with how green the money he's offered is as opposed to how green the grass on our field is. The only place I could think of as having an impact on whether or not a player would go there is St Louis and Indy since they both have astroturf. It could shorten a players career.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #12
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I would love to have him and he would create great matchup problems, and since I dont think the Texans will be looking at OL in FA then it might be a good way to go, filling a need o offense and giving the organizations another reason to go wiht an O-lineman in one of the 1st 2 rounds.
Old 02-22-2005   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would put him on the list for Jets, Steelers or Eagles.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #14
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Baltimore is also an option. The Steelers don't need another WR. However the eagles have a WR who would rather stop on a route and not get hit. I could see him playing an excellent #2 to TO and if TO goes down again, then he could be the #1 WR.
Old 02-25-2005   #15
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP
Default Texans interested?

Quote:
One of the most-discussed free agents here is wide receiver Derrick Mason, released earlier this week in the Tennessee Titans' salary cap purge, and a Pro Bowl-caliber guy who, even at age 31, remains a terrific playmaker. The consensus is that, because he didn't become a starter until four years ago and was used primarily on kick returns until then, Mason is a "young 31," with plenty of gas left in the tank. A lot of people here feel Mason will end up with the New York Jets, where he would be reunited with onetime Titans teammate Justin McCareins and former Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. Certainly the temptation of playing again with a wideout such as McCareins, and in an offensive system he knows well, will be strong. But don't pencil in Mason to the Jets just yet. For openers, he is somewhat leery of Heimerdinger, who was known in Tennessee to be tough on his charges. More important, though, is that Mason will have a lot of options and teams such as Jacksonville, Houston and Carolina will come hard after him in the next few days.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...=1999547&num=0

Most likely just conjecture by Pasquarelli, but interesting none the less. Of all WR's soon to be available I think Mason fits us the best.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #16
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Man if we could get D-Mase...

(Knows Grid would hate that, along with others)

Yall know what, I think we should make it a priority to nab EX-Titans in the offseason.
Old 02-26-2005   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Jaguars | Interested in Mason - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:27:05 -0800

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have confirmed they have spoken with Peter Shaffer, agent for free agent WR Derrick Mason (Titans), and have expressed interest in signing his client.

TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #18
texansfan88
All Pro

Default New news on possibility of Mason being a Texan

In an interview done with ESPN Radio, Mason mentioned the following teams in order as to who he'd like to play for/contact with him

Jacksonville Jaguars
Cincinnati Bengals
Philadelphia Eagles

Houston Texans were not mentioned.

The following were the list of things that he would look at as far as deciding what team he'd play for.

1) Direction of Team (Can they win the Super Bowl in the next few years)
2) Supporting Cast (offensive talent and good defense)
3) Good School for his daughter

Mason also mentioned he'd like a deal done in the next 2 days

I sure wish Casserly would get on his horse on this
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #19
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Sounds like news on the possibility of Mason NOT being a Texan. As long as its not Indy or Jacksonville Im fine with it. I dont want him in our division anymore lol.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #20
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i like him, but could really care less where he goes, we have a talented core of YOUNG players, that i'm pretty confident can get the job done !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read