Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2009   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub, The Bills, and the 4-3

The ESPN Stats & Information gang documents every NFL snap. In the process, they frequently come up with interesting statistical trends.

Even though the Buffalo Bills have gained a reputation for their ability to come up with interceptions, numbers indicate they're at their best while in their base 4-3 defense compared to packages that feature extra defensive backs.

ESPN Stats & Information's research shows opponents are averaging 6.4 yards per pass attempt and have thrown nine interceptions, but just one touchdown against the Bills' base. Quarterbacks have a 39.9 passer rating.

Against small sub packages, Bills opponents have thrown for four touchdowns and three interceptions.

The problem the Bills have Sunday is that Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub has shredded 4-3 defenses this year.

Schaub has completed 61.6 percent of his passes against 4-3 defenses. He's averaging 10.5 yards per attempt with five touchdowns, zero interceptions and a 120.2 passer rating.

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #2
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1192 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub, The Bills, and the 4-3

You know my problem with the Bills being ranked so high, statistically anyway, as far as pass defense goes, is that they are just so bad in run defense. NFL teams do not try to make things harder on themselvers, they much like water go downhill by taking the path of least resistance.

For instance the Saints passed for 156 on this bills defense but ran for 225, I just don't buy how good everybody thinks the Bills pass D is. Their numbers are inflated by teams like Clevland, and Miami, Tampa Bay and Carolina. All terrible passing teams.

Guess we'll see Sunday.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #3
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
You know my problem with the Bills being ranked so high, statistically anyway, as far as pass defense goes, is that they are just so bad in run defense. NFL teams do not try to make things harder on themselvers, they much like water go downhill by taking the path of least resistance.

For instance the Saints passed for 156 on this bills defense but ran for 225, I just don't buy how good everybody thinks the Bills pass D is. Their numbers are inflated by teams like Clevland, and Miami, Tampa Bay and Carolina. All terrible passing teams.

Guess we'll see Sunday.
I think what they get their warm and fuzzies off is their turnover ratio. I don't think MS is going to be lame ducking the ball all over the field, however.
Old 10-29-2009   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Schaub increase his stats but I would love even more if we got our running game going and Slaton breaks out finally over the century mark.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I would love to see Schaub increase his stats but I would love even more if we got our running game going and Slaton breaks out finally over the century mark.
Exactly. If their run defence is really that poor, we need to exploit that weakness and I'm pretty sure our new defensive coordinator is not dumb enough to miss that.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #6
Section516 
Warrior

Quote:
For those that care, Super Steve is the Start of the Week player FF wise, per NFL.com

Start of the Week

Team Player Analysis

Houston Texans
Steve Slaton, RB Slaton had a slow start to the season, but the former West Virginia star has turned it on in recent weeks. He's been effective as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield, and he appears to have gained back his goal-line duties from veteran Chris Brown. With a matchup against the Bills and their 32nd-ranked run defense next on the schedule, Slaton should continue to find statistical success

Old 10-29-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
^^This^^

The ability to run the ball and continue to stop the run.
Old 10-29-2009   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post

Guess we'll see Sunday.
And/or .... the other team puts up a lead and can run the clock out the rest of the way because the Bills offense couldn't score ... well, I'll keep it G-rated. They can't score.

The Bills have a good defense, but their offense does them no favors at all. I still think we'll do fine against them.
Old 10-31-2009   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The weather could have a significant effect on QB play. But it's interesting to note that Fitzpatrick has not yet had a chance to experience the unfriendly conditions of the Buffalo winter and Buffalo stadium either.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The weather could have a significant effect on QB play. But it's interesting to note that Fitzpatrick has not yet had a chance to experience the unfriendly conditions of the Buffalo winter and Buffalo stadium either.
The prediction right now is high of 48 degrees with no rain and 9 mph winds. That shouldn't effect either QB.
Old 10-31-2009   #11
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

interesting reasoning for starting Slaton in FF... I know he's done better, mostly in the passing game, but I don't see him completely taking the goal-line duties away from Brown? I know Kub said Brown and Sla-ride are gunna share the ball tomorrow, dunno if that's 50/50, 70/30 or whatever...

but when I first read "ESPN stats and information gang" I immediately thought I would have been reading something like this:

"The Texans are the first team in NFL history from a city southeast of Dallas and West of New Orleans to be 4-3 and playing their 8th game north of New York City, NY while bringing in an offense that is more pass-oriented than run-oriented on a day where there is no snow expected in either city"

"Wow, Bob! that's an amazing stat there"...

One of these days I want one of these guys to say "Okay, that is just stupid, no point to that"...
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The prediction right now is high of 48 degrees with no rain and 9 mph winds. That shouldn't effect either QB.
Agreed. Looks like the rain forecast with heavy winds has been amended. It did match today's forecast of ~50 degrees, 20-30 mph winds and 100% chance of precipitation. That could have been brutal. But, now, as you point out, it looks like it will be a "clean" game.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read