Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 10-27-2009   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Block Access to Cell Phone Carriers Other Than Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
One of the smartest things Bob has ever done.
Leverage is great. As a sponsor of the Texans, it appears Verizon blocks high speed wireless access to AT&T in the stadium. I wanted to track my fantasy team during the game but couldn't. Surprisingly, that action by Verizon and the Texans didn't leverage me into going out and getting a Verizon phone! In fact, it makes me dislike Verizon somewhat. Go figure.

It didn't do much for my evaluation of that "great game day expereince" the Texans tout either.
Old 10-27-2009   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 338994 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can DR, Ryans and OD be franchised '10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Leverage is great. As a sponsor of the Texans, it appears Verizon blocks high speed wireless access to AT&T in the stadium. I wanted to track my fantasy team during the game but couldn't. Surprisingly, that action by Verizon and the Texans didn't leverage me into going out and getting a Verizon phone! In fact, it makes me dislike Verizon somewhat. Go figure.

It didn't do much for my evaluation of that "great game day expereince" the Texans tout either.
Dude, I was wondering about that!! I was with Sprint last year and got a great signal outside of the stadium but couldn't even get one bar inside it. Now it makes sense! BOOOO!
Old 10-27-2009   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Last Sunday was the first time I've had major trouble getting signal with Sprint. It's always somewhat iffy but last week it was receive only. No sending.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dude, I was wondering about that!! I was with Sprint last year and got a great signal outside of the stadium but couldn't even get one bar inside it. Now it makes sense! BOOOO!
I could receive calls and text, but no internet access via the higher speed wireless. It went out as I approached the stadium. I tracked it leaving and it came back on 30-50 yards away. It came back full bore and had a high speed, so it wasn't because of the crowd creating too many users.

I may need to to start a thread...
Old 10-27-2009   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Texans Block Access to Cell Phone Carriers Other Than Verizon

This is just another thing added on top of the others that are making me dislike the Texans as a business entity. I still enjoy the team, but they won't get anymore money from me.
Old 10-27-2009   #6
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wondered what was going on when I tried to look at my team as well as check ESPN scoreboard and box scores. I will just have to adjust because I will continue to be an AT&T customer.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #7
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 22660 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

i have verizon
Old 10-27-2009   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I wondered what was going on when I tried to look at my team as well as check ESPN scoreboard and box scores. I will just have to adjust because I will continue to be an AT&T customer.
I was trying to check my ff on my iPhone. I had to resort to checking with my friend's Blackberry, which made it very clear why iPhones are better for fun stuff involving the web. Nice sales job, Verizon!
Old 10-27-2009   #9
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

What if you have a family emergency?
Old 10-27-2009   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup. I so want to sign up for text alerts from HoustonTexans.com but cannot. They only send them to Verizon customers. I'm with T-Mobile and don't really have too much choice on which carrier to use because of the goodies that I require to make life easier on me known as the Sidekick. No, I don't use the Sidekick but my better half does.

Whatever happened to "No purchase necessary."
Old 10-27-2009   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
What if you have a family emergency?
Cell phone calls and texting worked. For me, the Edge and 3G networks were blocled.
Old 10-27-2009   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could receive calls and text, but no internet access via the higher speed wireless. It went out as I approached the stadium. I tracked it leaving and it came back on 30-50 yards away. It came back full bore and had a high speed, so it wasn't because of the crowd creating too many users.

I may need to to start a thread...
I use AT&T. I am able to send and receive tweets within the stadium but the coverage is spotty. That is through my internet.

I've heard that some public facilities get overloaded with internet traffic.

Do you know if blocking non-verizon cell reception is an official policy?
Old 10-27-2009   #13
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think it was legal to block cell phone signals. Isn't the State of Texas having an issue right now about possibly wanting to block cell phone signals in prisons...and they can't do it legally?

I could not get any signal inside the stadium on my iPhone. Not for calls...not for internet...nothing.

Steph...with you being a lawyer...could you find out what the truth is on this topic?
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I use AT&T. I am able to send and receive tweets within the stadium but the coverage is spotty. That is through my internet.

This was not spotty coverage but it just stopped working, except for the low bandwidth voice call and texting functions. I tried from my seat and the outer edges of the stadium as well. I couldn't use my broadband until I was outside the stadium, near to where I lost it coming in, and I was checking constantly as I walked out. Once I reached this point I had strong, fast access although the crowd had not yet thinned.

I talked to some other people and was told that AT&T blocks other carriers in Cleveland's stadium and Nextel blocks at NASCAR events. Given that others have had the same experience within Reliant, I assume it is intentional to support the sponsor. I doubt this is a policy they publicize. The people with Verizon phones that I was with had no problems anywhere. It was just those of us with other carrriers.

The evidence points me to a conclusion it is on purpose.
Old 10-27-2009   #15
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This was not spotty coverage but it just stopped working, except for the low bandwidth voice call and texting functions. I tried from my seat and the outer edges of the stadium as well. I couldn't use my broadband until I was outside the stadium, near to where I lost it coming in, and I was checking constantly as I walked out. Once I reached this point I had strong, fast access although the crowd had not yet thinned.

I talked to some other people and was told that AT&T blocks other carriers in Cleveland's stadium and Nextel blocks at NASCAR events. Given that others have had the same experience within Reliant, I assume it is intentional to support the sponsor. I doubt this is a policy they publicize. The people with Verizon phones that I was with had no problems anywhere. It was just those of us with other carrriers.

The evidence points me to a conclusion it is on purpose.

Mine still barely worked all the way out in the Yellow Lot...
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quick internet search found this:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/m...asp?p=15982142
Old 10-27-2009   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I would find it hard to believe if there is an official policy. It's all about the wording in their ads.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone...TextAlerts.asp

They're definitely protecting their interests here with Verizon being a bigger customer than the masses.
Old 10-27-2009   #18
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

So it's not that their "blocking" cell access, its just that the only provider available inside the stadium with the capacity to handle the masses is Verizon.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Interesting. Cell phone jamming is apparently illegal, although it isn't enforced. There is also some question to what cell phone jamming is. If you block 3G access but allow voice, is the phone jammed?

So: are they or aren't they?

I haven't found much specific info on the web yet.
Old 10-27-2009   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
So it's not that their "blocking" cell access, its just that the only provider available inside the stadium with the capacity to handle the masses is Verizon.
Except in Cleveland, where only AT&T can handle it.

Funny how everyone else can handle the masses in the parking lot immediately before and after the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read