Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2009   #1
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BARRETT: Question answered on ESPN?

Is that you, unless of course it is the other you...

Paul Kuharsky answered your question or request, whatever, to review the goal line play, and offers his penetrating analysis on the Slaton's TD run.

The suggestion: Barrett in Austin suggested Steve Slaton's touchdown run in Houston’s win over San Francisco.
Slaton

“Houston's woe's running short yardage was relieved by a decidedly different run play. Pulling and running off tackle instead of the futile running over the middle (our weakest part of the line especially from a physical strength standpoint.)”

I’d usually steer away from a TD, but this one was significant for the reasons Barrett points out and was the lone score on the ground in the game.

The situation: First-and-goal from the San Francisco 1-yard line with 2:32 on the first-quarter clock and no score.

The Texans line up with three tight ends -- Joel Dreessen beside right tackle Eric Winston, Owen Daniels beside Dreessen and James Casey beside left tackle Duane Brown -- with fullback Vonta Leach and Slaton in an I-formation behind Matt Schaub.

What I saw unfold after the snap: I cannot break it down as specifically as I have done with some of these plays in the past, as Fox’s broadcast only shows one angle and my eyes aren’t good enough to pick it all apart from there.

But with the Niners packed in with seven on the line and four behind them, they could well expect the Texans to try the sort of up-the-middle run they’ve gone to in goal-line situations in recent weeks with no success.

Instead, Schaub pitches to Slaton heading right behind five able and effective blockers. Winston and right guard Antoine Caldwell pull and help create space while Dreessen and Daniels turn their men or shield them from the play and Leach leads Slaton through.

The running back leaves his feet to dive into the end zone, but not because he has to.

Result: Touchdown Texans and a 7-0 lead.

Ultimate outcome: Houston never trails, builds the lead to 21 with the help of a receiving TD from Slaton and holds on to win by three.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...slatons-td-run

Like I said riveting, and insightful.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BARRETT: Question answered on ESPN?

Dude. I'm famous. Watch.... now the other 'barrett' will start to take credit for all my future fortunes and demand some kind of stipend.

Anyways, yes, that's me. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. When I re-watched I was really impressed with the design of the play, and it's end result of course!

Thanks again... super mega rep.

doh. spread rep. sorry.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Dude. I'm famous. Watch.... now the other 'barrett' will start to take credit for all my future fortunes and demand some kind of stipend.

Anyways, yes, that's me. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. When I re-watched I was really impressed with the design of the play, and it's end result of course!

doh. spread rep. sorry.
Got him and some for you too! Good on you! We're gaining steam in the media.

EDIT:

Eh. Got him but not you. Gotta get you in 24 hours. Write something else insightful because I'll forget to get you for this one.

Old 10-27-2009   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Nitro.

By the way, can anybody tell me what forum "the other 'barrett'" exists in? I can't for the life of me remember and that link died I believe. I've been meaning to keep tabs on him.
Old 10-27-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks Nitro.

By the way, can anybody tell me what forum "the other 'barrett'" exists in? I can't for the life of me remember and that link died I believe. I've been meaning to keep tabs on him.
I remember the whole thread. I'm still laughing about it. I do not really visit that site but I'm pretty sure it was the InTheBullseye site.
Old 10-27-2009   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Write something else insightful because I'll forget to get you for this one.

something insightful huh? Okay. Are you ready for this. Listen in everyone.

If you have a 5.1 or better surround system you can watch the game without the commentary by disconnecting the center channel speaker. The announcers voices will be eliminated and you will be left with crowd noise and field noise. This includes calls at the line of scrimmage and some trash talk at times.

Pretty fun stuff. Especially if you are a re-watch junky like I am and you don't want to here them tell you that "Amobi Okoye is young" 532 times. Or that "they are hoping Matt Schaub can stay healthy here in Houston" 942 times.
Old 10-27-2009   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:

If you have a 5.1 or better surround system you can watch the game without the commentary by disconnecting the center channel speaker. The announcers voices will be eliminated and you will be left with crowd noise and field noise. This includes calls at the line of scrimmage and some trash talk at times.

Pretty fun stuff. Especially if you are a re-watch junky like I am and you don't want to here them tell you that "Amobi Okoye is young" 532 times. Or that "they are hoping Matt Schaub can stay healthy here in Houston" 942 times.
That's really not too insightful for me. It doesn't help me much. Remember, I'm the one trying to give you rep.

Old 10-27-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Lol

holy sh!t you got me on that one nitro!!! Hard to type with my foot way up here in my mouth!
Old 10-27-2009   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Lol

holy sh!t you got me on that one nitro!!! Hard to type with my foot way up here in my mouth!
Lol. It's all good. It's just so funny that I probably WILL remember to rep you tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2009   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

MMMMMM converse!
Old 10-27-2009   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cereal? Dude my gf says the only reason she won't watch footbaw is because of the announcers!

Christmas wish list here I come!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

doh. spread rep. sorry.
We'll never let that imposter steal your thunder. Why don't you use one of those .50 cal sniper rifles that carry your family name and off this punk in spectacular fashion? That would teach any other wannabe punks not to trifle aound with user names.
Old 10-27-2009   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Cereal? Dude my gf says the only reason she won't watch footbaw is because of the announcers!

Christmas wish list here I come!!
Yup. Try it sometime. It's pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
We'll never let that imposter steal your thunder. Why don't you use one of those .50 cal sniper rifles that carry your family name and off this punk in spectacular fashion? That would teach any other wannabe punks not to trifle aound with user names.
ummmmm. I appreciate the support but uh...
Old 10-27-2009   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup. Try it sometime. It's pretty cool.

ummmmm. I appreciate the support but uh...
LOL....too harsh? I can be dramastic about some things.
Old 10-28-2009   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

What if the other barrett just stole that other guys time machine, and is really barrett from the past or future, and so that sniper solution would really cause a whole world of problems...
Old 10-28-2009   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

so you're saying I could be being me from before or after?

So I've got this photograph of myself in a texans shirt and it's starting to fade but at the same time it looks like a lombardi trophy is slowly appearing a glass case next to me.

what do I make of this?
Old 10-28-2009   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

The paradox's of time travel can really screw some things up.
Old 10-28-2009   #18
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is useful. Last year I was watching a Titans game on the Austin affiliate and they mistakenly killed the audio channel for the announcers for an entire quarter. It was a pleasant experience, and felt much more like a real football game.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

yeah. I tell you it is sooooo much more enjoyable when it's one the crews who know nothing about the Texans what so ever.
Old 11-03-2009   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

My run of fame continues.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...in-for-some-te

I'll be signing autographs at the Go Texans store on Thursday at 6. Get there early because I'm sure there will be a line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read