Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2009   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can DR, Ryans and OD be franchised '10?

Correct me if I understand free agency for 2010 uncapped wrong, but each team gets an extra franchise tag according to my understanding.

Demeco gets the Franchise Player Exclusive and no team can negotiate. Texans offer 1 year deal avg top 5 MLB or 20% whichever higher.

Owen Daniels: Franchise Player Non-exclusive. Player can negotiate with other teams but Texans can match offer. If no match & player leaves Texans get two first round picks. Would another team give up two firsts for a pro bowl tight end?

DR gets the additional tag offered in uncapped year. I can't find my link from earlier this year explaining how this tag works.

Smith played hardball with these three last off season and could do so again. Through 7 games both Ryans and OD are at pro bowl potential IMO and DR keeps improving. Not sure if he will reach his ceiling soon. Tags would keep all three on the roster and more will be known how CBA will evolve. I know there will be sentiment to keep all three with long term deals, but that might not happen.
Old 10-27-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can DR, Ryans and OD be franchised '10?

Actually both Ryans and OD would continue to be RFA's for two more years. That's the big issue surrounding all of the discussion about their contracts. They (the players) actually don't have much leverage.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Actually both Ryans and OD would continue to be RFA's for two more years. That's the big issue surrounding all of the discussion about their contracts. They (the players) actually don't have much leverage.
To me this would really effect these players psyche even more so than this season. Neither was very happy.
Old 10-27-2009   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=6627

Chris has a blog post about what a great season Open Daniels is having and how expensive he's going to be but in reality, depending on how shrewd my man Rick is going to be, He could get payed the 1st tier tender both seasons. Same with Ryans.
Old 10-27-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
To me this would really effect these players psyche even more so than this season. Neither was very happy.
I agree. It's a scary thought. But if nothing else it would allow you great leverage in negotiating a "reasonable" contract as opposed to a crippling one.
Old 10-27-2009   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Can DR, Ryans and OD be franchised '10?

To quote myself - pay OD, pay Ryans, and give D-Rob a market value offer.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We have 2 tags. The transition tag and the franchise tag.

I say we PAY OD or Ryans, get them locked up before its an issue. But preferably pay both. Use the transition tag on DR only IF he plays like a top 10 CB through the rest of this season. This would allow us to match any offer a team makes for DR albeit we would get no compensation. If he's worth as much to a team as he thinks he is, he'll find out. Ideally he would find out we're making a more than fair offer and just signs with us when nobody caves in to his demands.

Keep the franchise tag out of things unless its an emergency (I.E. OD or DeMeco are on the line).
Old 10-27-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

But that's the thing. They wouldn't be "on the line". They would be RFA's. Under contract.
Old 10-27-2009   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

I know I'm hating on D-Rob a lot lately. I used to be his biggest fan. So what would the "Fair Market Value" be for a 2nd tier pass coverage CB, with outstanding run support ability. Something tells me the figure is not the 23 million offered before. I think he should get a touch more than Reeves only because of his intangibles as a team leader.
Old 10-27-2009   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
But that's the thing. They wouldn't be "on the line". They would be RFA's. Under contract.
Is that official? I wasn't aware that there is officially no CBA for 2010.
Old 10-27-2009   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Is that official? I wasn't aware that there is officially no CBA for 2010.
A new deal would have to be in place sometime I think in late March. There's been no movement at ALL publicly, but who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

The CBA definitely affects the Texans players, but I think if you want OD and DeMeco to be happy to be a Texan for a long time, you have to pay them and not use the leverage against them, unless the numbers they want are RIDICULOUS.

Being a smart GM certainly involves being shrewd, but you also don't want to piss off your core players too much - plus give the team a bad reputation to potential FAs about how they treat their best guys.

It's a good problem to have (I guess), considering we've never been good enough to have these kind of issues in the past.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ntract-issues/

Quote:
I've tried to not let it be a distraction," Daniels said of his own status as a restricted free agent in 2009 and, most likely, in 2010, "and I think I've proven I won't let it be a distraction. I think if we can be a winning team, then a lot of people will be happy to stick around and continue play for this team and continue to play for our owner, our G.M., and our coach.

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Can DR, Ryans and OD be franchised '10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I know I'm hating on D-Rob a lot lately. I used to be his biggest fan. So what would the "Fair Market Value" be for a 2nd tier pass coverage CB, with outstanding run support ability. Something tells me the figure is not the 23 million offered before. I think he should get a touch more than Reeves only because of his intangibles as a team leader.
I would want it compared to similar players around the league, but essentially, yah. Don't overpay him, he clearly doesn't deserve top 5 CB pay.

I like(d) his attitude and want him here, but not if we have to over pay.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

The way Daniels is talking makes me thing that Mr. McNair's public statement last week of "win and you will get paid" has really been a brilliant move. It seems clear to me that Mr. McNair is asking the players to not only perform on an individual level but more importantly, as a team, challenge each other to raise each others level of play. Making each other accountable is the healthiest foundation for building a winner. The Texans have all these key players in contract situations that are the foundation of the future of the team. He's asking them to put the team on their shoulders and carry them to success as a group. Forming yet another solid foundation for success. You have to have the talent but we've got some of that and the depth is better than it's ever been .

One of the smartest things Bob has ever done.
Old 10-27-2009   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The way Daniels is talking makes me thing that Mr. McNair's public statement last week of "win and you will get paid" has really been a brilliant move.
If it wasn't for PSL's, Houston fans would be saying the same to Bob McNair.
Old 10-27-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=6627

Chris has a blog post about what a great season Open Daniels is having and how expensive he's going to be but in reality, depending on how shrewd my man Rick is going to be, He could get payed the 1st tier tender both seasons. Same with Ryans.
I would love to have OD and Ryans back at least 2 more seasons IF it doesn't put the team back into salary cap hell. Having said that, there will be no salary cap next year so could McNair be willing to really increase pay for certain pro bowl type players? Once CBA is re-negotiated could these type players be grandfathered so salary does not effect new cap? There will be a new cap but players will have to give up a lot of the percentage the players union has gotten in the past.

My concern is that Smith may decide long term deal may not be best for OD who will be 27 in Nov. A 3 year deal with an option seems about right. Will our other TEs effect the negotiating? I think it definitely did before this season began. On Ryans, could Smith say a first or 2nd round take his place? I keep thinking both of these guys will be signed but the season keeps sliding on by.
Old 10-27-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Did yourself say this prior to game one this season? How did that work out for you cause it seems Smith did not listen to you.
Old 10-27-2009   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Quote:
The way Daniels is talking makes me thing that Mr. McNair's public statement last week of "win and you will get paid" has really been a brilliant move.
If it wasn't for PSL's, Houston fans would be saying the same to Bob McNair.
Those PSLs are an application of leverage to keep the money flowing when the Texans as a whole can't field a team that guarantees high season ticket and sell out rates. You should be honored by the team's shrewdness.

Old 10-27-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
We have 2 tags. The transition tag and the franchise tag.

I say we PAY OD or Ryans, get them locked up before its an issue. But preferably pay both. Use the transition tag on DR only IF he plays like a top 10 CB through the rest of this season. This would allow us to match any offer a team makes for DR albeit we would get no compensation. If he's worth as much to a team as he thinks he is, he'll find out. Ideally he would find out we're making a more than fair offer and just signs with us when nobody caves in to his demands.

Keep the franchise tag out of things unless its an emergency (I.E. OD or DeMeco are on the line).
As stated in the thread, my understanding is the NFL is giving teams an extra tag for next year as an uncapped year. The 2nd paragraph of your post is great except that was tried before this season so what has changed?
Old 10-27-2009   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Those PSLs are an application of leverage to keep the money flowing when the Texans as a whole can't field a team that guarantees high season ticket and sell out rates. You should be honored by the team's shrewdness.

One of the smartest things Bob has ever done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read