Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Isolated review of Texans vs. 49'ers

I'm doing this in two halves since this game seems to be the tale of two halves. In "the good half" the Texans score 21 unanswered points and only let the opposing offense across the 50 once when #23 is caught cheating.

DEFENSE first half
From a defensive perspective I could almost cut and paste from last week. The front 7 does a near perfect job against the run and the back 8 is smart but aggressive against the pass. The guys that were in the dog house early in the season are a mirror image of the entire defense as they have done a complete 180 since week one. Pressure on the QB is an issue more so this week than last even though they get 2 sacks and almost 3.

DL's

Williams doesn't get much pressure in the first half. As best I can tell the sack on the first snap was a mistake from the WR who seemed to run a slant when the QB was looking for a quick pass to the sideline. One of the ways that 90 is so impressive though is is size and speed. Just by jumping and waving his arms around he's completely disruptive in the face of the QB. Then he's able to quickly attack the second the passer drops his throwing arm. He's still stellar against the run. Imagine if he was healthy.

Okoye plays the best half I've ever seen him play against the run. He is amazing at the point of attack. He hold's his position magnificently allowing the LB's to attack at will. He even breaks off his (often two) blockers and makes key stops at the bottom of the piles. He doesn't look as impressive against the pass. He's not using his hands like he was last week that I can see.

Cody plays similarly against the run except he seems to consistently get better penetration. Against the pass he's a bit more disruptive as well but not to the point that I feel complimentary. He nearly gets a sack right before the half with the help of a blitz.

Smith is very explosive on some plays and seems tied up on others. I can give him the same evaluation I gave Cody. He get's pretty good penetration and is very good at standing his ground. Against the pass when he slides in he can be very good at making the pocket ugly but not really ever causing the QB to make adjustments or alter his throwing motion.

Zgonina plays the best half I've ever seen him play. Makes takles against the run. Is unmoveable. Makes some trouble in the pass. Hell he even gets a sack (I can't really explain what the RG was doing but it wasn't pass blocking).

Barwin is starting to look more violent at the point of attack. Instead of engaging and calling it a day he seems to be a bit more trouble (but not much) and I feel like I'm seeing his run awareness improving each week.

Bulman generally ineffective against the pass and I can't recolect seeing him in against the run.

Robinson is only in on a few plays and is, as always, extremely disruptive on the plays that I see him but get this... He's the only DT I see getting moved out of his gap at all. I can't figure out if it's because he's 2 yards in the backfield and therefore it looks like he's out of position or if he's just the only that is getting moved horizontally at all. Is it possible that DelJuan Robinson is no longer playing like the 2nd best DT on the Texans? How could I have come to this conclusion? It's been so obvious before. Here's why:

The front 4 as a whole is absurdly effective against the run because they continue to maintain their gap integrity to the point of bordome from a viewing perspective. Nobody ever get's moved out of their gap ts. 91 is being attacked by two guys on occasion and he doesn't move at all. I can't figure it out. These are not 350 pounders. But all of them, from 90, 91, 95 and 94 it's like columns that the LB's fill with ease. Against the pass they are equally unmoveable... problem is, that's not really what we're going for against the pass. Unlike last week they don't seem to get much pressure that I can see. Nobody comes free for the most part when a blitz is called either and when they do get free it's never in time to have an effect other than Cody's almost sack.

LB's

Diles continues to be the 3rd best LB on the field but that's not so bad with this group. He sound again and makes no noticable mistakes that I can find. None. All I can come up with is that he's ineffective as a blitzer. He destroys Gore on a play as 59 is bringing him to the ground. This "mean" Frank Bush D will begin to take it's toll as this continues.

Ryans brings it on every single play. He plays as perfect as I could invision him playing. This is not an over statement. Boring right? True too.

Cushing overruns 1 play by about 3 feet as best I can tell and is able to correct by taking one extra step. I don't think this guy is going to pan out. They don't seem to be sending him on blitzes in the first half like they did last week. Against the run he's very solid but he's overshadowed by #59. He will be a consistent play maker though I can assure you. As the QB is sliding down on a scramble several players get a hit in but 56 takes a punch at the ball and that kind of stuff will pay off eventually.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that these guys are playing 100% mistake free football. They are reading the runs perfectly and tackling perfectly. They are in position in coverage and effective in every phase except the blitzes. But being ineffective isn't a mistake to me. It's not good technique or physically they are being asked to do something that they aren't able to do well. It looks like they just engage. 56 was clearly better at this last week.

DB's

Robinson is not a factor because the QB doesn't throw to his side that I can remember. When he does he get's caught cheating and it allows the S.F. offense to cross midfield for the only time in the first half. He isn't a factor against the run because the RB's never get out of the backfield. He makes up for his pass interference by getting an offensive pass interference call by getting in the way.

Reeves looks slightly sloppy in coverage on one deep out but that's being extrememly picky. It's a good route and a great throw. He doesn't seem to be a factor either in the run game. The QB isn't throwing to the CB's part of the field.

Quin makes a great play on a screen and attacks before the block can take him out of the play. He continues to hit hard. He makes a great play early on to knock the ball away on an out route earlly to retire the side. Dudes gonna be a player.

Pollard makes big time tackle on a reverse I believe. He continues to take good angles to the ball.

Wilson is always in a good position as well. Does his job as well as he can from his position on the field.

The DB's are facing a QB who is not making good decisions. They aren't really tested but when they are they are in position and the make plays and never put the team in jeopardy. (Other than 23's big pass interference play)

I've never felt so impressed by how confident, intelligent and physical this defense is playing. But I can't help but wonder when we're going to look bad because we can't get any pressure on the QB. We're lucky to be playing against Shawn Hill. A good QB could expose us if we get this little pressure. We were better last week. Is S.F.'s Oline better than Cincy's? Is that what it is? I don't care about sacks. I care about pressure. Our QB get's pressured and he still looks great but hey, he's the #1 QB in the league... most guys wouldn't look that good under pressure.

Last edited by barrett; 10-27-2009 at 04:52 AM.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #2
vanknights2002
Rookie

Default Re: Isolated review of Texans vs. 49'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I'm doing this in two halves since this game seems to be the tale of two halves. In "the good half" the Texans score 21 unanswered points and only let the opposing offense across the 50 once when #23 is caught cheating.

DEFENSE
From a defensive perspective I could almost cut and paste from last week. The front 7 does a near perfect job against the run and the back 8 is smart but aggressive against the pass. The guys that were in the dog house early in the season are a mirror image of the entire defense as they have done a complete 180 since week one. Pressure on the QB is an issue more so this week than last even though they get 2 sacks and almost 3.

DL's

Williams doesn't get much pressure in the first half. As best I can tell the sack on the first snap was a mistake from the WR who seemed to run a slant when the QB was looking for a quick pass to the sideline. One of the ways that 90 is so impressive though is is size and speed. Just by jumping and waving his arms around he's completely disruptive in the face of the QB. Then he's able to quickly attack the second the passer drops his throwing arm. He's still stellar against the run. Imagine if he was healthy.

Okoye plays the best half I've ever seen him play against the run. He is amazing at the point of attack. He hold's his position magnificently allowing the LB's to attack at will. He even breaks off his (often two) blockers and makes key stops at the bottom of the piles. He doesn't look as impressive against the pass. He's not using his hands like he was last week that I can see.

Cody plays similarly against the run except he seems to consistently get better penetration. Against the pass he's a bit more disruptive as well but not to the point that I feel complimentary. He nearly gets a sack right before the half with the help of a blitz.

Smith is very explosive on some plays and seems tied up on others. I can give him the same evaluation I gave Cody. He get's pretty good penetration and is very good at standing his ground. Against the pass when he slides in he can be very good at making the pocket ugly but not really ever causing the QB to make adjustments or alter his throwing motion.

Zgonina plays the best half I've ever seen him play. Makes takles against the run. Is unmoveable. Makes some trouble in the pass. Hell he even gets a sack (I can't really explain what the RG was doing but it wasn't pass blocking).

Barwin is starting to look more violent at the point of attack. Instead of engaging and calling it a day he seems to be a bit more trouble (but not much) and I feel like I'm seeing his run awareness improving each week.

Bulman generally ineffective against the pass and I can't recolect seeing him in against the run.

Robinson is only in on a few plays and is, as always, extremely disruptive on the plays that I see him but get this... He's the only DT I see getting moved out of his gap at all. I can't figure out if it's because he's 2 yards in the backfield and therefore it looks like he's out of position or if he's just the only that is getting moved horizontally at all. Is it possible that DelJuan Robinson is no longer playing like the 2nd best DT on the Texans? How could I have come to this conclusion? It's been so obvious before. Here's why:

The front 4 as a whole is absurdly effective against the run because they continue to maintain their gap integrity to the point of bordome from a viewing perspective. Nobody ever get's moved out of their gap ts. 91 is being attacked by two guys on occasion and he doesn't move at all. I can't figure it out. These are not 350 pounders. But all of them, from 90, 91, 95 and 94 it's like columns that the LB's fill with ease. Against the pass they are equally unmoveable... problem is, that's not really what we're going for against the pass. Unlike last week they don't seem to get much pressure that I can see. Nobody comes free for the most part when a blitz is called either and when they do get free it's never in time to have an effect other than Cody's almost sack.

LB's

Diles continues to be the 3rd best LB on the field but that's not so bad with this group. He sound again and makes no noticable mistakes that I can find. None. All I can come up with is that he's ineffective as a blitzer. He destroys Gore on a play as 59 is bringing him to the ground. This "mean" Frank Bush D will begin to take it's toll as this continues.

Ryans brings it on every single play. He plays as perfect as I could invision him playing. This is not an over statement. Boring right? True too.

Cushing overruns 1 play by about 3 feet as best I can tell and is able to correct by taking one extra step. I don't think this guy is going to pan out. They don't seem to be sending him on blitzes in the first half like they did last week. Against the run he's very solid but he's overshadowed by #59. He will be a consistent play maker though I can assure you. As the QB is sliding down on a scramble several players get a hit in but 56 takes a punch at the ball and that kind of stuff will pay off eventually.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that these guys are playing 100% mistake free football. They are reading the runs perfectly and tackling perfectly. They are in position in coverage and effective in every phase except the blitzes. But being ineffective isn't a mistake to me. It's not good technique or physically they are being asked to do something that they aren't able to do well. It looks like they just engage. 56 was clearly better at this last week.

DB's

Robinson is not a factor because the QB doesn't throw to his side that I can remember. When he does he get's caught cheating and it allows the S.F. offense to cross midfield for the only time in the first half. He isn't a factor against the run because the RB's never get out of the backfield. He makes up for his pass interference by getting an offensive pass interference call by getting in the way.

Reeves looks slightly sloppy in coverage on one deep out but that's being extrememly picky. It's a good route and a great throw. He doesn't seem to be a factor either in the run game. The QB isn't throwing to the CB's part of the field.

Quin makes a great play on a screen and attacks before the block can take him out of the play. He continues to hit hard. He makes a great play early on to knock the ball away on an out route earlly to retire the side. Dudes gonna be a player.

Pollard makes big time tackle on a reverse I believe. He continues to take good angles to the ball.

Wilson is always in a good position as well. Does his job as well as he can from his position on the field.

The DB's are facing a QB who is not making good decisions. They aren't really tested but when they are they are in position and the make plays and never put the team in jeopardy. (Other than 23's big pass interference play)

I've never felt so impressed by how confident, intelligent and physical this defense is playing. But I can't help but wonder when we're going to look bad because we can't get any pressure on the QB. We're lucky to be playing against Shawn Hill. A good QB could expose us if we get this little pressure. We were better last week. Is S.F.'s Oline better than Cincy's? Is that what it is? I don't care about sacks. I care about pressure. Our QB get's pressured and he still looks great but hey, he's the #1 QB in the league... most guys wouldn't look that good under pressure.
Like how you put it, but i disagree on Robinson. The QB isn't throwing toward him like you say. But he is a factor in the run when it comes to his side. The plays don't always get to him but when they do he bring the hat.
vanknights2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanknights2002 View Post
Like how you put it, but i disagree on Robinson. The QB isn't throwing toward him like you say. But he is a factor in the run when it comes to his side. The plays don't always get to him but when they do he bring the hat.
I don't recall him being in on any tackles on run plays in the first half of this game. This is not an assessment of him in general. It is specific to one half of one football game. I've commented several times in my reviews of the other games that his presence against the run is probably his best asset to this teams success.
Old 10-27-2009   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cushing overruns 1 play by about 3 feet as best I can tell and is able to correct by taking one extra step. I don't think this guy is going to pan out. [/i]
Please explain!
Old 10-27-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

OFFENSE first half

I really focused on the Zone Blocks on the run plays trying to figure out what's going on. After feeling like Slaton was his old self after last week based on his individual performance I figured that the problem must lie with the linemen. For the most part, turns out that's the case. And not just with the run this week.

Kubiak said that Schaub was their offensive player of the game internally. And you see why when you go back and watch. The OLine plays one of their worst games in pass protection but #8 does a terrific job of avoiding sacks and turnovers while making good decisions and throwing accurately to open guys while under pressure. Everybody is screwing up around him and he just continues to make play after play after play. In the first half he had 0 bad throws and 0 incompletions that I could blame on him. The majority of his incompletions were due to pressure or some sort of contact in the pocket.

OL Do you remember talking about the defense the first few weeks how 8-10 guys were doing their job well and 1 or 2 guys would screw it up for everbody else? Well guess what? The offensive line has taken on that role now that the defense has out grown it (in 3 short weeks). If 1 guy screws up it can mess up the entire play. This guy knows all about that:

Brown has his worst half of football this year. He's sloppy and gets beat early and often. I've found that he tends to get beat early in the game frequently but it always seems to wake him up. Well, it didn't this week. It took an offsides penalty to snap him out of it this time and it was well into the 2nd quarter. He completely whiffs a few times in both run and pass blocking. After his wake-up offsides penalty he decides to man up and plays better but still not his best performance.

Studdard looks fairly good overall but again, he get's out of position or shows bad technique and pow, we're getting a 3 yard loss on a play. He does bail Brown's ass out a few times when 76 is way bent and 64 swoops in and shoves the guy. I do think he's improving. So long as he doesn't max out in the next two years I'm officially content with him on the roster. Not as the starter just yet, but on the roster. I expect to see him improve every single week though until his technique is at least average.

Meyers struggles with the 3-4. All the interior linemen do. They are just too big and strong but he's messy on the 2nd level a few times and again, that's enough to end a positive run. He get's eaten alive on the goal line but fortunately Slaton has out run the DT before it's a factor. He played a much better game last week. Is it him or is it the matchup. I don't feel like he's sloppy. He's just getting whooped. So I'm going with the matchup. I will say that I didn't feel like he ruined as many run plays as the other two guys to his left did though.

White looks decent the majority of the time. Never dominant. never as above average as Briesel did at times. Perhaps slightly below average. I could write the exact same thing about all of the linemen in the first half of this game. They all looked sloppy and overmatched at times and servicable at others. Never dominant, never consistent... except this guy:

Winston play's his best half of the year. He doesn't get run into the back of the pocket like normal and his arms never fail him either. He's been in my doghouse all year especially in pass pro but not today. He is very solid. I can't say he was dominant in the run game but he was much more sound than the rest of them.

Caldwell has emerged. In his two series in the first half, he whiffs on one cut block in his first series but on the next run play he is excellent. He's the key pulling block behind Winston and Vonta that get 20 into the endzone on the first score.He looks very good in pass protection mostly because of his athleticism shining through but it's clear he's less sloppy than last week. He still has some of that young Duane Brown sloppy and recover but he looks big and strong and fast and I might also add that He will replace Catfish at RG before the end of the season. Next year what do we do with Pitts/Studdard and Briesel/Caldwell?

I don't know how much of a factor it is that we lost 2 of our starting linemen because all these guys have been in this system with the same coach Gibbs for the same amount of time. But it's VERY clear that they don't have the synch that they had last year. From a timing perspective they certianly do but it seems like on almost every single run play 1 of the 5 is making a big enough physical error to really mess the whole thing up. Maybe everybody's doing their job but the RG gets turned sideways against the DE and then the line to the lane is obstructed or the C whiffs at the second level allowing the MLB to fill the cutback lane. It's just that it's happening on every run play. The 2 or 3 where it doesn't happen are always bigger runs. The majority of the problem though is that they aren't getting the interior to slide sideways. they are getting pinned in. The plays aren't sliding sideways like they should. A big part of that can be blamed on these guys:

TE'S

Normally I lump them in with the WR's as "pass catchers" but I want to single them out for two reasons: 1 good and 1 bad. I'll start with the bad

Dreesen plays very badly as a blocker. When the TE's get blown up like this there is kind of a log jam at the front side of the play and 85 was playing like a badger trying to create a flood. He is constantly getting manhandled by the DE or OLB. I noticed poor TE play against the Jets too and it could be a product of TE's vs. 3-4. I can't be sure but I can be sure that Dreesen had his worst half of football this year. He is not targeted in the open field and therefore cannont redeem himself.

the good

"Open" Daniels has never been a truer nickname than last Sunday. He caught the ball and ran with it. I don't mean to take anything away from him because I think he's a very good TE but apparently the 49ers watched film on Houston and decided that the TE is not a major target in the Oilers offense. He also had ANOTHER LUCKY FUMBLE. When is his luck going to run out? He was a much better blocker than Dreesen but he didn't really have much time to block because he was always catching the ball and running with it. He had 1 of 2 drops by Texans pass catchers in the first half. None of them were by the WR's.

Casey saw time in what I predict to become our most prolific formation. The 3 TE set. This one I saw ran 2 times and one resulted in a TD to 81 and the other a massive hole over the left side despite the fact that 76 completely forgot to block his guy. 86 came across and put a HUGE block to spring 22 for 7 or 8 yards.

RB's

Slaton had a strange angle to pick up a block that cost us on our first series but for the most part was very good in protection. Looked good in space and scored a TD on the ground behind good blocking and a TD through the air behind Winston cheating but not getting caught. The deep pass that he drops hits him in the hands / chest but I will argue that the ball arrives just as he crosses from the shadowed end of the field to the sun drenched end. Factor? Maybe. Or maybe he's not a good downfield receiver. His vision running was not as improved as I had hoped. On 1st and 10 for our 2 minute drive he has a homerun lane to the stong side. I think at some point you loose sight of the obvious because he's so used to defenders in the backfield. When David Anderson is man up on a DE you want to run to the other side.

Brown continues to prove to me that he is not effective. His only positive is that his size allows him to fall forward for positive yards. His cuts are bad and slow and he falls once he's through the line regardless because he's trying to get his pads down. I can't help but feel like we could be better off with Arian Foster. I would at least like to give him a chance. Activate him and give him 1 or 2 runs. Brown has no burst and no vision that I can see. Furthermore he's lackluster in this instance the 1 time I see him have to pick up a blitz.

Leach lays the block behind 73 that guarantees Slaton's TD run. Othewise he is impressive but not good enough to make up for all the mistakes by the OLine and TE's in the run blocking.

The run game is working. Just like last week. It's getting yards but it's not very impressive but it is serving it's purpose. I can only hope that when the OLine finally gels (and I do think it's a matter of time) it will have benefited us because we will be that much more comfortable with the passing schemes and it could line us up for a hell of a run towards the end of the season. Or, it could be our demise. Gotta love them Texans!

WR's

Johnson is a sissy. As it turns out, his injury occured after his first catch and he plays the entire half but never gets another ball thrown his way. He's not as covered as I thought he was but 81 is so open the entire game there's no point in risking it. I can't tell from the bad TV angles if his injury was effecting his route running or not. If you somehow didn't love him before this helmet hiding story...

Walter continues to lay crushing blocks at times and makes all the catches thrown his way. I would absolutely hate to loose him next year. He's the most consistent WR we have.

Anderson gets eaten alive trying to run block and for some reason doesn't run his route right before the half and it causes 8 to take a sack. (It's possible that it was 20's job to run a route I suppose but they were both in the backfield blocking the same guy.) He needs to improve his run blocking considerably. I know he's tiny but he has to find a way to be more effective. activating Martinez could be the answer. I know we all love 89 but it's not his skill set that makes him a good guy to have on the team. I want someone who can run routes, catch AND BLOCK.

Jones is not targeted at all but I wanted to give him props for making all the punt catches in the sun and running back a punt for a fake TD. Sure am glad the coaches didn't quit on him. Plus I like how odd he is with his mannerisms.

These guys simply do not drop balls. Most of them block above well for league standards. What more could be possibly want out of them. Do they even get coached? WOW.

Overall the Offense was massively successful despite the left side of the OLine and Joel Dreesen because the guys steering the ship was at his best and all his targets were perfect and the coach has stuck with the run. It's almost too easy.
Old 10-27-2009   #6
TexanSacDawg
Rookie

i was with you in this thread until you said The pick of Cushing wont pan out but most of all when you called AJ a sissy anfter i read u call johnson a sissy this thread should be trash
TexanSacDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #7
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSacDawg View Post
i was with you in this thread until you said The pick of Cushing wont pan out but most of all when you called AJ a sissy anfter i read u call johnson a sissy this thread should be trash
I believe he's being sarcastic. When you read the entire block of text, it
should be obvious in context. But, as we all know, sarcasm is the most
invisible in text form.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2009   #8
TexanSacDawg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I believe he's being sarcastic. When you read the entire block of text, it
should be obvious in context. But, as we all know, sarcasm is the most
invisible in text form.
well if this is true then all if forgivin
TexanSacDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves is back to his old form!

Schaub did a good job considering, but he still hold on to the ball too long at certain critical times; both sacks were past 4 secs.

Caldwell missed badly on the defender; that led to Slaton fumbling the ball.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #10
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSacDawg View Post
Mario is terrible too.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Mario is terrible too.
Careful. Everyone around here is going to start shooting arrows at you for saying that even if you are being sarcastic.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #12
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Careful. Everyone around here is going to start shooting arrows at you for saying that even if you are being sarcastic.
That's makes it more fun
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff Barrett, I enjoyed your analysis and comments.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #14
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OFFENSE first half"Open" Daniels has never been a truer nickname than last Sunday. He caught the ball and ran with it. I don't mean to take anything away from him because I think he's a very good TE but apparently the 49ers watched film on Houston and decided that the TE is not a major target in the Oilers offense.
No one else caught this?

Last edited by Jackie Chiles; 10-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Jackie Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the improvement on the defense points to two things. First is better tackling by most. If you watch Pollard and to some extent Quinn, they tackle well. Maybe others are catching on. The second is the fire brought by Cushing. If you can watch him and not get motivated, maggots must be nibbling your toes. To me to play on same field with him even the O side makes you want to hit somebody. Dbacks have said that they slacked off in 2nd half. Hopefully this will not happen in New York.

DBs:If CBs continue to improve the dire need to draft one high may be eliminated. My crystal ball says DR will be on team next season. FS is still dire need to me but if the rest of D keeps improving, Smith may again ignore this position in draft.

Offensively, Pitts will be gone and LG is a ?mark. Studdard may hold for a while but I think a OG will be drafted that will eventually take this spot. I anticipate Myers moving to RG and Caldwell being the center to stop the pounding that Myers and Shaub may get.

RB: There has to be an improvement here, but I've been saying that for years. If DTs continue to stop the run and occasionally disturb QB, we may not see a high round DT drafted. Smith may use a 2nd if Gerhart or Anthony Dixon have good seasons and do well at combine.

TE : this is like a movie mystery. OD definitely "done it" pro bowl but may not get the offer he wants. I can see this MB blowing up in the off season if Smith decides to go with Dreesen, Hill and "Mr. Versatility".

It was only a few weeks ago we were thinking "If the offense continues putting points on the board and defense improves just a little..." well here we are. 5-3 will be T-A-S-T-Y!
Old 10-27-2009   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
No one else caught this?
I hope you caught it. It was very intentional. Think about it...
Old 10-27-2009   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope you caught it. It was very intentional. Think about it...
Never watched the Oilers at all, was probably in middle school when they left and just wasn't a fan of the NFL at the time. I really don't know how I went through life like that but in a way I am glad I don't have those scars. I am going to guess now that the TE was never really a part of the Oilers offense back in the day.
Old 10-27-2009   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No one else caught this?
Seemed to be a reference to the old run and shoot days. There was
no tight end on the roster in those day. I was too young to watch
the oilers, but I played a TON of Tecmo Superbowl.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Never watched the Oilers at all, was probably in middle school when they left and just wasn't a fan of the NFL at the time. I really don't know how I went through life like that but in a way I am glad I don't have those scars. I am going to guess now that the TE was never really a part of the Oilers offense back in the day.
Not during the most fun time I had watching the Oilers, especially during the Bum Phillips' day.
They always have one or two good TEs.

The best year was 1980 with Casper (from the Raiders) joining Barber to form a 2-head monster.
They combined for 93 catches on 501 pass attempts.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/oti/1980.htm
Casper made the Pro-Bowl that year.

For comparison, last year the Texans attempted 555 passes.
That would be 103 catches to split between O.D. and Dresseen.
Their actual number was 81 (70+11).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm rather curious as to why the 9ers would be gameplanning for the Oilers, considering the Oilers don't play in Houston anymore and the Titans had the weekend off. Other than that, good posts and analysis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read