Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Thomas Davis ----Glenn Earl

I read that some want us to get Thomas Davis in the draft. Yet, I am wondering Why? and yet wondering how Davis and Earl would be compared/contrasted. I admit I didn't follow N.D. when Earl was playing but what I read is that he was a step below Sean Taylor if Earl wasn't injured.

Thomas Davis bio

Glenn Earl college bio

I read somewhere that earl runs around a 4.5 forty.
and Davis runs a 4.55 forty according to nfldraftblitz.
thomas davis forty

just looking a physical size.. Earl (according to the texan website) is 215 and Davis is listed at this time as 230 .. so they are pretty close.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Question

yes, he should be there, but we have a Glenn Earl, who is the same height and 15 lbs lighter than Davis.. Coming out of college I thought Earl was known as a big hitter also (next to Sean Taylor).

Would Davis be that much of an upgrade at SS over Earl?

If Davis and either Rolle or Pacman were available, wouldn't it be better to go with a CB if we were targeting secondary? Just because of age of Glenn and needing a nickelback for a year or two until Glenn retires? Coleman has a few years at FS also..

or is the mindset of having Glenn and Davis (with one moving to FS) as the big hitters back there (kinda like the Williams/Woodson tandem that the cowboys had for a year until injuries to woodson)?
Old 02-20-2005   #3
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

been wondering the same thing Wolf
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem with Davis is that his weakness is coverage which is why Brown was benched early in the year. Earl seems to better in that area than Brwon and most likely Davis. I like Davis as player, but I don't think he is just short of Roy Williams and Sean Taylor the last two safeties to go that high in the draft.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Glenn Earl/Notre Dame
(6-1, 205, estimated 4.63 40 time)

Positives: Has good safety size. Is an intelligent and instinctive player. Fundamentally sound player who doesn’t make many mistakes on the football field.

Negatives: Has average to below average speed for a safety. Will need top read and react skills at the next level. Has limited pass coverage skills. Missed the last half of his senior season with a knee injury.

Overall analysis: Glenn Earl looked like a solid safety prospect entering the 2003 season, but a knee injury suffered about halfway through his senior campaign may prevent Earl from being drafted. Earl started his college career as a wide receiver, and practiced at that position while redshirting in 1999. He served as a backup defensive back in 2000 and 2001, and earned an occasional starting assignment during those seasons. Earl moved into the starting free safety position in 2002 and turned in a good overall performance. He was having a fine year as a senior until he was sidelined with a knee injury that required surgery. Earl has very good size and can be somewhat of an intimidator in the middle. He is a smart player who understands what it takes to be a successful football player. He shows very good instincts and doesn’t make many mistakes. However, Earl has limited speed and is not the type of safety who can match up and play man-to-man coverage on a wide receiver. Earl will also need to show top read and react skills once he reaches the next level, because he lacks the necessary speed to recover if he takes false steps. But overall, Earl is a good football player whose size and intelligence gives him a chance to succeed as an NFL player. Entering the 2003 season it appeared that Earl had a chance to play his way into early day two status, but now appears to have about a 50/50 chance of being drafted.
http://www.thapack.com/jc_final_2004__safety.htm

this guy talks about Earls speed. Davis is at 4.55
Old 02-20-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans seem pretty smug with the selection of Glenn Earl last year, even though he was not expected to contribute his first year (coming off surgery) he not only competed he started so I doubt Casserly feels the need to select Thomas Davis with that #13 pick.

DJ has as much chance of slipping as Rolle, the top of the draft has as much ebb & flow as the tide in Galevston. all you can really do is assemble your draft board and rank them as you see them fitting your needs and system maximizing the most talent possible. Thomas may well be on the Texans draft board but there are more desireable prospects ahead of him that the Texans consider more suitable.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I like TD simply because he is a bigger and seems to be a more physical player, both he and Earl have problems in coverage, but I still thinkTD is the bigger hitter and has the potential to become a better safety.

Now if DJ and TD are both on the board, by all means draft DJ, and if Antrell or Pac-Man are on the board, then sure take a big time CB. But if I had to choose between TD and Marcus Spears, you better believe I would choose TD.
Old 02-20-2005   #8
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Earl was also a free safety in college- a position that requires better coverage abilities and ball skills. The move to SS suits his game better.
Davis is weak in coverage playing SS at the college level, and this will only be exacerbated in the pro game. There are even thoughts about moving him to linebacker.
We have so many other needs that I feel strong safety is about the least of our worries right now. If we select him, however, I'll just trust the C&C.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #9
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon
Earl was also a free safety in college- a position that requires better coverage abilities and ball skills.
Davis played FS before SS. I don't know about Earl, but Davis played very close to the line of scrimmage, which would have you believe the Georgia coaches had some confidence in his recovery/coverage skills.
Old 02-20-2005   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Davis played FS before SS. I don't know about Earl, but Davis played very close to the line of scrimmage, which would have you believe the Georgia coaches had some confidence in his recovery/coverage skills.
If he was usually playing close to the line of scrimmage, wouldn't that indicate he was being used more as another linebacker in run support?

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Johnson

6'-4" 230 lbs

4.5 / 40

Thomas Davis

6'-1" 230 lbs

4.5 / 40
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Johnsons got the frame to add weight and not lose his speed . Thanks for pointing that out .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Question

Earl (according to the texan website) is 215 and he is 6'1

I have seen were he runs a 4.55 forty and another listed a 4.63 forty which isn't much difference and not sure if he bulked to Davis' weight (not that he needs too) how much speed he'd lose

Would Davis be that much of an upgrade over Earl?
Old 02-20-2005   #14
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I like Davis, but not to replace Earl ... to replace Foreman.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #15
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i doubt texans will take Davis, because we don't need him.i predicted Lions to pick him up.
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #16
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

yeah Sarg, if the Texas draft Davis i think it will be to use him at that Mac LB position (same position DJ would likely play) not at safety, although everyone here that wants him seems to want to play him at SS, doesn't make sense to me.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget Ramon Walker also... I think things look fine at SS...

Defensive front 7
Interior line
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the thing about davis is there has been a lot of talk about him making the transition to WLB...he has a very similar body frame as boss bailey up in detriot...or even michael boulware in seattle...he can really play both...but if he runs slow at the combine or in his personal workouts like around 4.6 expect him to move to that linebacker position in which we won't even think about him...casserly and capers are both high on earl so might as well not even think about him...he would be like the worse case senerio for the texans as of right now...personally if spears, barron, or dj are not available when we pick you can bet the house that we will be picking up the best corner available
Old 02-21-2005   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we pick Davis anyway . I don't believe he's in the same class as Sean Taylor or Roy Williams . Glenn Earl worked his way into the lineup after coming back from knee surgery . A year healthier and playing time under his belt he will be much better . So unless hes the only name who you deem a can't miss why pick him .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #20
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think Davis is getting overhyped because of the recent Roy Williams/Sean Taylors of the draft...It seems like although their cover skills were questionable coming out, Davis's are even moreso, and he doesn't have their elite speed for his weight. He might have some good knockout hits but if he gives up touchdowns to TEs left and right aka Eric Brown then we haven't upgraded anything and we've lost a first round pick. With our scheme we need as many guys that can cover as possible, we have 7 guys up front that *ideally* should be able to stop the run before it gets to the secondary, so it would make more sense to have strong coverage safeties. Especially so we can send more guys on the blitz. Glenn Earl was known as a big hitter back in college I think, so as he learns the system better and the game continues to slow down some we might see some good hits. He also needs to recover 100% from his knee injury.

I harped on about Sean Taylor last season, and I think I've learned my lesson. I would take Dunta over Taylor any day of the week now. I can't wait until this message board obsession with Davis ends.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read