Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Problems adjusting in games a Texan problem?

Usually when theres a major positional change on a team or someone new coming in for the first time, it signifies a moral victory for the opposing team.

The Texans, however, seem to look completely unprepared and proceed to roll over and die.

I can't even remember how many times we've seen a backup come in and shred us, or a rookie who is expected to play poorly look like a 10 year vet.
This week it was Alex Smith. A guy with twice as many career INTs as TDs and a 50% completion percentage. A guy who had no chance to play today. A guy who probably took very, very limited reps in SF this past week.

And yet he throws 3 TDs on basically the same play and we can't seem to stop him.

Then theres Crabtree. The guy has had 2 weeks to practice at the NFL level. Never played in an NFL game. And if it wasn't for a few penalties, he could have been over 100 yards today.

We've seen it with Mark Sanchez. And lets not forget that infamous Rams game a few years ago with the Harvard QB.

Anyway, whats the deal here? Its like anyone who we don't have NFL tape for just completely dominates us
Old 10-26-2009   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Problems adjusting in games a Texan problem?

it happens all the time to every team. the titans v sage, the patriots v aj feeley (eagles) just off the top of my head. to me it just shows how important film study is in todays nfl
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
it happens all the time to every team. the titans v sage, the patriots v aj feeley (eagles) just off the top of my head. to me it just shows how important film study is in todays nfl
It seems that if this is so common, why don't teams switch QBs at halftime more often if the first guy has been ineffective?

I guess if you did it all the time, teams would start to prepare for both your guys
Old 10-26-2009   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario Williams, who was the top overall pick the year after Smith, said dealing with the quarterback change was difficult.

"I didn't know who the guy was when he came out," Williams said. "I really didn't. It was one of those things where he definitely managed the game for them. He was getting rid of the ball on time and moving the ball."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291025034
Old 10-26-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Yikes, thats a scary quote. I understand spending the majority of your time preparing for the guy you know is going to be the QB (Hill), but injuries + poor play + sickness etc all can lead to QB changes, so its somewhat shocking to me that Williams didn't even know who their backup QB was...
Old 10-26-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol this might seem contridictory to my last post but the reason teams dont do that is because most of the time the defence handles it because the backup qb isnt talented enough to hurt you. my first post was to show that backup comebacks arent a texans exclusive phenomenom (spelt that wrong?).

but remember SF not only changed qb's, they changed their entire offensive gameplan. when you've spent the week studying & preparing for a conservative, run heavy offence & they spread you out all of a sudden they can catch you a bit cold. usually the offence struggles somewhat too when they change offensive style. the reason it worked so well for SF is they had alot of guys used to playing in a spread offence (smith & crabtree especially) so it worked well for them. other examples of this would be the raiders playing zone defence last week helped catch the eagles out & the dolphins destroying the pats last year with the wildcat
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Quote from Smith:

"Starting the second half, down three scores, you're seeing some stagnant looks from the defense, they're not throwing as much at you," Smith said.
Old 10-26-2009   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yikes, thats a scary quote. I understand spending the majority of your time preparing for the guy you know is going to be the QB (Hill), but injuries + poor play + sickness etc all can lead to QB changes, so its somewhat shocking to me that Williams didn't even know who their backup QB was...
It wasn't just a change in personnel that the 49ers employed, they also changed their scheme. They spread the defense out and varied the formations. The Texans were presumably studying an offense that relied heavily on the run. So, not only were they facing a QB they hadn't studied, they were facing a QB they hadn't stuidied running a scheme they hadn't studied (presumably.)

Add that to the fact that our pass defense is considerably weaker than our run defense, and the ineffectiveness of our offense/running game to control the clock, and you can see why the 21 point comeback happened.

But, I think it's a lot more complex than "OMG we can't beat a back-up QB!!?!?!?!"
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

It seemed like they put it in cruise control, and took a nap until they needed to step up. It's a mentality Kubiak needs to get rid of. You're paid to play 100% for 60 minutes; go do it.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it is an NFL mindset up by 21 to run, run the clock, get the win and not make mistakes. But I think you have to have that NE mindset at times...keep scoring so they can't breathe. Keep blitzing and pressuring because they are lifeless.
Old 10-26-2009   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It wasn't just a change in personnel that the 49ers employed, they also changed their scheme. They spread the defense out and varied the formations. The Texans were presumably studying an offense that relied heavily on the run. So, not only were they facing a QB they hadn't studied, they were facing a QB they hadn't stuidied running a scheme they hadn't studied (presumably.)

Add that to the fact that our pass defense is considerably weaker than our run defense, and the ineffectiveness of our offense/running game to control the clock, and you can see why the 21 point comeback happened.

But, I think it's a lot more complex than "OMG we can't beat a back-up QB!!?!?!?!"
That last line is why I don't go to the main Texans boards. It seems like
the demographic over there is MUCH less knowledgeable about the game.
They were wondering why we "barely" won. Your post, and the fact
that Slaton put the ball on the ground during a key drive, made the game
much closer than it should have been.

Someone actually argued that Slaton's fumble wasn't a big deal, and that
the Texans STILL should have blown the Niners out. They made believe
that "situational momentum" is not real, and doesn't apply to football games.

Too many kneejerkers both on these boards, and ESPECIALLY at the
workplace talk about football just like that last line, and it's FRUSTRATING.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, let's see here, the Niners best receiver (Vernon Davis) scores on basically the same play 3 ****in times in a row against D-Ryans. Why are we covering Davis with a LB that can't cover that kind of speed? I can see the first TD, but 2 more? Unacceptable.

There were several times the 9ers had a CB on OD. Why the heck couldn't we do something similar to Davis?

Lack of adjustment? I would say so.
Old 10-26-2009   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, let's see here, the Niners best receiver (Vernon Davis) scores on basically the same play 3 ****in times in a row against D-Ryans. Why are we covering Davis with a LB that can't cover that kind of speed? I can see the first TD, but 2 more? Unacceptable.

There were several times the 9ers had a CB on OD. Why the heck couldn't we do something similar to Davis?

Lack of adjustment? I would say so.
We had Golver Quin on Davis at times. I remember early in the game Quin had a really nice PD on Davis covering him off the line.
Old 10-26-2009   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We had Golver Quin on Davis at times. I remember early in the game Quin had a really nice PD on Davis covering him off the line.
Well, there was 3 times where he wasn't. Davis flew past D-Ryans as if he was standing still.
Old 10-26-2009   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, there was 3 times where he wasn't. Davis flew past D-Ryans as if he was standing still.
Yep, no way to know what the issue was there (blown assignment, mismatch on personnel, poor scheming, etc.)

But, we were covering him with CB at times, which was my point.
Old 10-26-2009   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Yep, no way to know what the issue was there (blown assignment, mismatch on personnel, poor scheming, etc.)

But, we were covering him with CB at times, which was my point.
And the point of the thread is having the ability to make adjustments. Davis scoring on D-Ryans three times off basically the same play reeks of inability to adjust.

Anywho, I'm happy we got the W. I don't want to be too pessimistic here.
Old 10-26-2009   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I would also like to add that until our running game gets it's rear end in gear, we are going to see alot more games like this even if the other team doesn't make a QB change. The reason why teams who run the ball well win games is because when they have a lead they can then punish the other teams defense.

Too many times we had to dig ourselves out of holes by converting a 3rd and 15 or 3rd and 10 because we can't even get 2 yards on 1st and 2nd down. Incompletions are going to stop the clock and allow other teams offense to get back on the field.

On top of that when our RB is fumbling the ball away that is always going to make things hard to put a team away.

Kudos to Schaub for not forcing things and throwing a pick because that would've killed us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

We got through the game with a win. At the end of the day, that is all that matters to me.

Kubiak had them ready to play at the opening whistle, and that has been a deficiency for him. It was nice playing with the lead. No surprise they almost blew the lead because we aren't used to playing/coaching with the lead. Last lead I remember against a decent team was last year's Colts debacle at Reliant.

One thing was sad amidst the big win though, how many scrub QBs have had their career bests against the Texans. We make scrub QBs look like Johnny Unitas. We are creating turnovers this year so I won't try and complain about some of the details like in-game adustments, mental/physical preparation on gameday, and just playing with some passion and desire.

They have been doing better at that lately and truly competing not just to be a competitive game but to win the game. Moral victories were gone years ago. Now they are just losses. We have some winnable games on the horizon and we just gotta play football and not think about playoffs. If we can go 6-3 the rest of the year, we might get a sniff. I don't think the division is even in question, so would 10-6 get you in? the head-to-head versus Cincinnatti helps. Miami losing yesterday was nice. They still have to play New England, they could be a sinking ship.
Old 10-26-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Things to ponder despite a win.
1.Our coaching philosphy is to stick with something until it works even if you lose. It took until the 4th game to change up the defense against the run and then look what happened. The run game against us is no longer a big issue. Stopped the bleeding.
2. Ok, so no one told the defense when Smith replaced the starter. Hopefully, after a play or two someone on sidelines, the upstairs booth or on the field would say, "Uh, there is another number on the QBs jersey. Did anyone see him change?"
3. On 610 this morning, Vandermeer said Polland admitted the Dbacks eased up after going 3 TDs up. That needs to be addressed. I can understand the offense trying to eat clock but the defense needs to stay focused. No way we are near good enough to cruise.
4. Slaton runs with the ball in one arm. He does not cover it with two. He ain't changing. Love him or not, he is what he is. At least JJ has come around. Too bad his TD was called back.
5. We have a young team of players and a young team of coaches. Someone needs to be tightening up both groups. Gibbs? I don't think it will be Kubes.

Prior to the game, I posted that we need to significantly beat 49ers. We did the first half. I saw what I needed to and now know we have the skills and the players to play most anybody pretty solid. Yes, the comeback was disappointing but to me that was more mental than lack of ability. Add that to the D C having no clue on how to adjust for too long and I now know we are headed the right direction. We should go 7-2 and have 11-5 record. 10-6 is very possible.
Old 10-26-2009   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read