Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2009   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Slaton's Fumbling

... is killing me. I've always been of the mindset that I prefer a every-down back that can give me a steady diet of 4-yd. gains than one who takes losses and then pops a big one. I know different people have different views on that, so fine. Slaton clearly falls into the latter category, so it's always been hard for me to get behind him as an every-down back.

But the fumbles are killing whatever enthusiasm I force myself to come up with for the guy. I love the screens and pitches, as that's the role I envision for him anyway, but if he can't hang onto the ball, I don't want him on the field. If we can't run the ball, we may as well not have the associated fumbles. If he fumbles again next week, I'm starting the official "Fire Steve Slaton" thread.
Old 10-25-2009   #2
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton's Fumbling

I have more faith in Jacoby fielding a punt than I do in Slaton running the ball. That says it all.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #3
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Fumbles are part of the game. I would not go to that extreme you talk about in your post. He will work on it and cut them down imo, but if you are an aggressive back in the NFL, it will always be a part of the game.......
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #4
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton's tied with the league lead in fumbles with four. That doesn't count the several times fumbles have been overturned by replay. He puts the ball on the ground far too much for what he brings in the running game.

At this point, I would only use him for screens and as a receiver but someone else has got to run the rock IMO.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

He needs to find Tiki Barber's number.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
Fumbles are part of the game. I would not go to that extreme you talk about in your post. He will work on it and cut them down imo, but if you are an aggressive back in the NFL, it will always be a part of the game.......
He carries the ball in traffic the same way he carries it in the open field - out to the side, in the crook of his arm. You have to get two arms on the ball in traffic and get it in tight to your body. If he's been working on that, it sure isn't translating to his play, because we see the same thing in the replays every time.
Old 10-25-2009   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He carries the ball in traffic the same way he carries it in the open field - out to the side, in the crook of his arm. You have to get two arms on the ball in traffic and get it in tight to your body. If he's been working on that, it sure isn't translating to his play, because we see the same thing in the replays every time.
I saw some of it once he came back after his benching.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2009   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

chris brown is the better RUNNING BACK this season. slaton needs to be relegated to a reggie bush receiver/decoy/screen type role until he figures it out. honestly, i really think brown and slaton should be reversed in their roles - brown toting the rock between the 20's and slaton giving us more options near the goalline and on short yardage situations. we block downhill with brown carrying, as opposed to hoping for a lane for slaton to find - creating excessive and unnecessary penetration against our weak interior line. bring in moats to split time with brown and mix slaton into the formations that work for the offense instead of forcing the offense through slaton.

and for the fumbles, slaton should absolutely be sat next week. we know kubiak is going to give his players every opportunity to try to make plays even more so when they're struggling (sage and schaub being the key examples), but this is getting out of hand. if we're counting the plays he's gotten an overturn from, slaton's averaging more than a fumble per game.
Old 10-25-2009   #9
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way in hell Slaton should be benched. He is easily the best playmaker in the backfield and he poses a big threat every time he touches the ball, especially if they can get it to him on screen passes and such. He is much quicker and faster than Brown. He will get his fumblitis straightened out, even if it means giving up at the end of plays and going down. His fumbles are a result of him trying to do too much.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #10
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
chris brown is the better RUNNING BACK this season. slaton needs to be relegated to a reggie bush receiver/decoy/screen type role until he figures it out. honestly, i really think brown and slaton should be reversed in their roles - brown toting the rock between the 20's and slaton giving us more options near the goalline and on short yardage situations. we block downhill with brown carrying, as opposed to hoping for a lane for slaton to find - creating excessive and unnecessary penetration against our weak interior line. bring in moats to split time with brown and mix slaton into the formations that work for the offense instead of forcing the offense through slaton.

and for the fumbles, slaton should absolutely be sat next week. we know kubiak is going to give his players every opportunity to try to make plays even more so when they're struggling (sage and schaub being the key examples), but this is getting out of hand. if we're counting the plays he's gotten an overturn from, slaton's averaging more than a fumble per game.
Old 10-25-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

His thumb was bothering him during the game, is this a factor?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
There is no way in hell Slaton should be benched. He is easily the best playmaker in the backfield and he poses a big threat every time he touches the ball, especially if they can get it to him on screen passes and such. He is much quicker and faster than Brown. He will get his fumblitis straightened out, even if it means giving up at the end of plays and going down. His fumbles are a result of him trying to do too much.
Then why didn't he have this problem last year? And I dispute your contention that's he's the best playmaker in the backfield. Moats has been more effective this year. Why he's not playing more is a mystery to me.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Slatons fumbles are the OLs fault in my opinion. Slaton is having to fight for every yard like he's never had to before. He leaves himself open to guys stripping the ball more than any back Ive seen. He refuses to go down from the first hit.

Hes not coughing the ball up randomly. Those fumbles are the work of guys literally pulling and pulling at the ball.
Old 10-25-2009   #14
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

He may not be benched, but this has become a common trend that is concering. It seems like his extra efforts are what's that problem with his fumblitis. Take what you can get and that's it. Better to be safe than to turn the ball over. Word.
Old 10-25-2009   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i know it's procedure to see the points he's putting on the board, especially after a win, but how many points has slaton taken OFF the board? jets was inside the 20 (they scored off of). today was on the opponent's 33 (they scored off of). he has 5 other fumbles and two of them lost which i'll have to go back and find. is his dynamic play winning the numbers?
Old 10-25-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Then why didn't he have this problem last year? And I dispute your contention that's he's the best playmaker in the backfield. Moats has been more effective this year. Why he's not playing more is a mystery to me.
lol, there goes that credibility. Moats had one ok game. Slaton has scored 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Like the fumbles or not, he's been a HUGE factor for us. They announcers put up a stat today that said SLaton is 3rd in the NFL for total yards per game over the last 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 10-25-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Slatons fumbles are the OLs fault in my opinion. Slaton is having to fight for every yard like he's never had to before. He leaves himself open to guys stripping the ball more than any back Ive seen. He refuses to go down from the first hit.

Hes not coughing the ball up randomly. Those fumbles are the work of guys literally pulling and pulling at the ball.
And that's the part that's on him. When he gets in traffic, he needs to cover it up. No excuse for that.
Old 10-25-2009   #18
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
chris brown as a goalline back 3.3ypc
steve slaton as open field back 3.0ypc

?
Old 10-25-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
chris brown as a goalline back 3.3ypc
steve slaton as open field back 3.0ypc

?
chris brown as a goal line back - 1 td
steve slaton as open field back - 5 tds
Old 10-25-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And that's the part that's on him. When he gets in traffic, he needs to cover it up. No excuse for that.
What I meant by "leaves himself open" is that whether hes got 2 hands or not, he's taking 2 or 3 seconds to go down every time he runs up ht emiddle. Most guys get hit, fall down. Slaton is getting stood up or trying to lose guys every single time he gets hit in the middle. As such, he's giving guys an extra 2 or 3 seconds to get other defenders in there to help strip the ball every single time.

The other problem with fumbling is that it begets more fumbling. You get labeled as a fumbler and guys start trying to stand you up and strip the ball

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read