Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We've abandoned the zone cut and go system?

Since many of you were probably at the game, I thought I'd share something itneresting I heard from the announcers during todays game. According to them, because of all the injuries we've had to the interior of our OL, our team has apparently "gone away from the zone cut and go system" they employed last year and are now running a much more downhill, man blocking system. Is this true? This was the first Ive heard of it but it could be a good explanation for why our inside runs are basically awful.
Old 10-25-2009   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We've abandoned the zone cut and go system?

Our inside runs are awful because the interior of the O-line is awful. The starting interior O-linemen are out for the season, and the backups basically suck.

So, if they've abandoned the ZBS, I can understand why if the backups can't execute it properly.

This total lack of a running game takes a lot away from this win. We're in trouble.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Since many of you were probably at the game, I thought I'd share something itneresting I heard from the announcers during todays game. According to them, because of all the injuries we've had to the interior of our OL, our team has apparently "gone away from the zone cut and go system" they employed last year and are now running a much more downhill, man blocking system. Is this true? This was the first Ive heard of it but it could be a good explanation for why our inside runs are basically awful.
I don't buy what Billick was selling on this issue.

Gibbs is not going to abandon the ZBS due to injuries. He's not going to abandon the ZBS due to being a coach for another team. The ZBS is the alpha and the omega of what this team's running attack has been, and will be.

He also called Cushing "Brian Williams," which would be OK if he were talking about a news reporter who is named Brian Williams (NBC, IIRC).

Maybe HE thinks that. He never said he learned this by talking to someone about it.
Old 10-25-2009   #4
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish they'd stop trying to run the ball up the middle then if we don't have the personnel for it. I'd also like to see any RB besides Slaton getting touches but that's a whole other issue.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Gibbs is not going to abandon the ZBS due to injuries. He's not going to abandon the ZBS due to being a coach for another team. The ZBS is the alpha and the omega of what this team's running attack has been, and will be.

He also called Cushing "Brian Williams," which would be OK if he were talking about a news reporter who is named Brian Williams (NBC, IIRC).

Maybe HE thinks that. He never said he learned this by talking to someone about it.
Ya,also, I felt like I was listening to the 49ers play by play announcers. Totally tilted toward the NFC team angle.
Old 10-25-2009   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Our inside runs are awful because the interior of the O-line is awful. The starting interior O-linemen are out for the season, and the backups basically suck.

So, if they've abandoned the ZBS, I can understand why if the backups can't execute it properly.

This total lack of a running game takes a lot away from this win. We're in trouble.
I did'nt realize this was something new. we havent been able to run the ball since the opening snap of the first game.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Yes typical announcer stuff. I love when they talk out of thier ass like that. In a related story we apparently picked up Free Agent "Owens" Daniel. The front office must not have wanted to pay Owen Daniels, so they signed this guy off the street, but he looked good. Hey Rick great signing of this Owens Daniel guy!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2009   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
I did'nt realize this was something new. we havent been able to run the ball since the opening snap of the first game.
The stubborness of not taking the run to the outside has been very costly to us. Most of our limited success this game was when the run was somewhere other than up the middle.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

"Our inside runs are awful because the interior of the O-line is awful"

that pretty much sums it up but we continued to try to run up the middle agian that game

we need more pitches/flickers left and right IMO not just handoffs
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't think we abandoned the ZBS. If anything, we're trying to run it to a tee now, more than we ever have.... which may be why we're having so much trouble.

Remember when Kubiak came, he said it takes three years to learn the system. Pitts, Myers, Brisiel are the only ones on our line who have been learning it for three years.

But we lost a lot of time when Sherman was here teaching his "hybrid" system.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read