Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2009   #1
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default For an out of town fan

We didn't get the Texans game where I live. If someone could give me some quick answers, I'd be very appreciative.

1) In the second half, did we try to work more on our running game, and is that (along w/ Slaton's fumble) the reason we only scored 3 points?

2) Did we do something different defensively in the second half? It looked like we were dominating in the first half.

3) I saw on the play-by-play I was watching online that AJ was injured. Any updates?

Thanks from a Metroplex fan.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For an out of town fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
We didn't get the Texans game where I live. If someone could give me some quick answers, I'd be very appreciative.

1) In the second half, did we try to work more on our running game, and is that (along w/ Slaton's fumble) the reason we only scored 3 points?

2) Did we do something different defensively in the second half? It looked like we were dominating in the first half.

3) I saw on the play-by-play I was watching online that AJ was injured. Any updates?

1.) Steve fumbled the ball after we were making a nice drive. In fairness, he had spun and got cracked helmet-to-helmet just as he completed the spin. Then the 9ers gang-tackled him, and just before his knee touched the ground he had it stripped. There will be lots of griping about this play, but I wonder if he might not had been concussed a little bit and you know that's got to take your strength away for a split-second.

2.) We went into a zone defense and they carved us up, in the middle of the field, with Vernon Davis. VD got three TD receptions off the same skinny post play. We never pressured the QB effectively. The 9ers went to a 4 WR set most of the time. When we were out there, we could not sustain drives and had to punt. Except Kris Brown's game-saving field goal that distanced us from 9ers. Alex Smith looked like the love-child of Fitzpatrick and Harrington in the 2nd half, coming in to relieve Shaun Hill who did not do very well in the first half. He was pulled to try and let Smith see what he could do. And he did a lot. Granted, we played verrrrry soft defense in 2nd half.

3.) Doesn't look too serious. Probably a bruised sternum or rib. I am hoping it wasn't a cracked crib. He made a great catch and kinda' got cracked in the chest by the defender. But he hung on and secured the reception.
Old 10-25-2009   #3
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
1.) Steve fumbled the ball after we were making a nice drive. In fairness, he had spun and got cracked helmet-to-helmet just as he completed the spin. Then the 9ers gang-tackled him, and just before his knee touched the ground he had it stripped. There will be lots of griping about this play, but I wonder if he might not had been concussed a little bit and you know that's got to take your strength away for a split-second.

2.) We went into a zone defense and they carved us up, in the middle of the field, with Vernon Davis. VD got three TD receptions off the same skinny post play. We never pressured the QB effectively. The 9ers went to a 4 WR set most of the time. When we were out there, we could not sustain drives and had to punt. Except Kris Brown's game-saving field goal that distanced us from 9ers. Alex Smith looked like the love-child of Fitzpatrick and Harrington in the 2nd half, coming in to relieve Shaun Hill who did not do very well in the first half. He was pulled to try and let Smith see what he could do. And he did a lot. Granted, we played verrrrry soft defense in 2nd half.

3.) Doesn't look too serious. Probably a bruised sternum or rib. I am hoping it wasn't a cracked crib. He made a great catch and kinda' got cracked in the chest by the defender. But he hung on and secured the reception.
Thanks GP. I appreciate the great information.

A general question. Why would we even think about going into a zone defense in the second half? Did we not have a choice? Zone sounds mysteriously like prevent to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm incredibly happy with the win. If our defense and offense could both play four quarters (in the same game!) we'd be something else.
Old 10-25-2009   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Thanks GP. I appreciate the great information.

A general question. Why would we even think about going into a zone defense in the second half? Did we not have a choice? Zone sounds mysteriously like prevent to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm incredibly happy with the win. If our defense and offense could both play four quarters (in the same game!) we'd be something else.
I'll take this one...

Because they are the Texans and get conservative with a lead.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #5
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Singletary made a halftime adjustment by putting his REAL quarterback
in the 3rd quarter. Shaun Hill throws footballs like punts, and Smith
is a VERY talented quarterback. The Texans were not expecting to
have to defend the pass game very much. I suspect they now have a
QB controversy in San Fran.

There was no tape on Smith either, as he as not thrown a pass in over
2 seasons.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #6
tedr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I'll take this one...

Because they are the Texans and get conservative with a lead.
Hah!

+1
Old 10-25-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

1) We had the same run/pass balance in 2nd half, only difference being the pass was much less effective... the line was letting SF get in the backfield all day pretty much

2) The defense played prevent all 2nd half pretty much. Lots of stuff underneath, then the Texans tried to counter the underneath stuff and gave up big gains up the seam (middle of the field)... all 3 td's were on seam routes

3) Last we heard was he tried to come back for the last drive of the game and the staff held him out of the game
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2009   #8
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

BB said with like a minute something left before half that the Texans should be going for a TD
Old 10-25-2009   #9
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dang bro, I don't think I could handle not watching my team on Sunday..
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #10
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

San Fran went from a run oriented offense to a spread offense in the 2nd half, which they have never shown since Singletary took over. The texans defense and personnel was geared toward run oriented not the spread, so I imagine they had problems switching gears. Add in the fact that there was no tape on Crabtree and there was a recipe for the comeback.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #11
tedr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
Dang bro, I don't think I could handle not watching my team on Sunday..
Yeah, I know. Had the Sunday Ticket a couple of years ago...

We have Dish Network now, so following online is the best I can do. It's probably better, though- I probably would have smashed several TVs by now! Although, like I said, very thankful for the win today.
Old 10-25-2009   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Singletary made a halftime adjustment by putting his REAL quarterback
in the 3rd quarter.
Shaun Hill throws footballs like punts, and Smith
is a VERY talented quarterback. The Texans were not expecting to
have to defend the pass game very much. I suspect they now have a
QB controversy in San Fran.

There was no tape on Smith either, as he as not thrown a pass in over
2 seasons.
while changing the quarterback made a big difference, it didnt change the 49'ers offense. the only difference between the two quarterbacks is that smith threw to vernon. the routes didnt change, the pass rush was similar all game, we just cheated away from the routes that SF has had success with all season and failed to adjust when those plays came back. it also hopefully exposed how poor demeco is in coverage which most of us already knew.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read