Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2009   #1
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matchup to Watch: OD v. VD

Interesting statline to watch, the 49ers are third place in allowing the least amount of yards to a tight end, while the texans are in 2nd place. Both teams utilize their tight ends often and usually to great effect.

OD and VD are both playmakers for thier team, and are big play weapons and reliable third down targets.

This game may come down to who ever utilizes their TE most effectively.

VD averaging 52 yards a game with 3 TDs. OD averaging 62 yards a game, with 4 TDs.

OD has 5 plays for 20+, and VD has 3 plays for 20+. 70% of OD's catches go for 1sts, whereas 60 percent of VDs go for 1sts.

A large part of each teams effectiveness against TEs is the athleticism of the LB core of each team. Cushing runs as well as anyone, and Willis is one of the best in the game today. The other LBs are also athletic.

Bottom line for me is that this is a matchup that I am going to keep and eye on, and one that may control the game. TOP is going to be huge in this game, and whichever tight end can keep his team on the field, gives them a better chance to win.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Matchup to Watch: OD v. VD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Interesting statline to watch, the 49ers are third place in allowing the least amount of yards to a tight end, while the texans are in 2nd place. Both teams utilize their tight ends often and usually to great effect.

OD and VD are both playmakers for thier team, and are big play weapons and reliable third down targets.

VD averaging 52 yards a game with 3 TDs. OD averaging 62 yards a game, with 4 TDs.

OD has 5 plays for 20+, and VD has 3 plays for 20+. 70% of OD's catches go for 1sts, whereas 60 percent of VDs go for 1sts.

A large part of each teams effectiveness against TEs is the athleticism of the LB core of each team. Cushing runs as well as anyone, and Willis is one of the best in the game today. The other LBs are also athletic.

Bottom line for me is that this is a matchup that I am going to keep and eye on, and one that may control the game. TOP is going to be huge in this game, and whichever tight end can keep his team on the field, gives them a better chance to win.
Nice post man. You make some really good points. Rep your way.
Old 10-25-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matchup to Watch: OD v. VD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post

Like I said earlier in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think the emergence of OD has alot to do with it as well. That is why our offense has taken off. We are finally taking advantage of the safety's cheating up to stop the run and cheating over on AJ. As long as we continue to get OD the ball over the middle our offense is going to click whether our running game is working or not. When teams start scheming for OD either our running game will return or AJ will really light it up.

We really have a well balanced offense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read