Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2005   #1
Dionysus22
Veteran

Default If DJ is gone?!

If DJ is already taken at 13, what are the chances that David Pollack from Georgia being there and us getting him? He's converting from DE to LB. He did win the Defensive Player of the Year award and was a terror on the pass rush. I think he would fit great in our scheme and have an easier switch from DE to LB than Babin. I'd still rather have DJ but if he isn't there and this guy still is...which would you rather have?
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #2
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
If DJ is already taken at 13, what are the chances that David Pollack from Georgia being there and us getting him? He's converting from DE to LB. He did win the Defensive Player of the Year award and was a terror on the pass rush. I think he would fit great in our scheme and have an easier switch from DE to LB than Babin. I'd still rather have DJ but if he isn't there and this guy still is...which would you rather have?
The dude is great at rushing the passer, but he has no experience in coverage so that would be a concern if we brought him in. If we are gonna draft an OLB, my pick would be Shawn Merriman because he has experince with dropping back in coverage and he can also rush the passer as well.
Old 02-20-2005   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans thought Babin was a good enough all around athelete to make the switch . It takes more than just rushing the passer . They have to cover TEs and RBs sometimes . At the end of the day its a big risk at 13 when you have good players on the board .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #4
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

If he's not a good coverage guy send him to the LB coach or maybe the DB coach they'll teach em thats what they're there for.
Old 02-20-2005   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What if he just has straight ahead speed ? What if he is not a fluid player ? You can't just decide this what we're going to do . Besides our linebackers are'nt exactly the weakest link .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

what if DJ is gone, is Marcus Spears available? what if both Marcus Spears & DJ are gone, select Justin Miller CB
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I love the way Pollack plays with the intesity and his pass rush ability, but if we only were looking for a pass rush then Antwaan Peek would have been starting a long time ago. I would not take a risk when we have some good OLBs already, plus I think 13 is too high for David.
Old 02-20-2005   #8
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Assuming 2 QBs and at least 2 RBs go in the Top 12, we only need to account for 9 picks:

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Adam "Pac-Man" Jones
3. Antrell Rolle
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Marcus Spears
6. Mike Williams
---- Trade Down Threshold. Trade down possible below this line ----
7. Thomas Davis
8. Shawne Merriman
9. #3 RB (higher if it's Ronnie Brown)
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #9
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I love the way Pollack plays with the intesity and his pass rush ability, but if we only were looking for a pass rush then Antwaan Peek would have been starting a long time ago. I would not take a risk when we have some good OLBs already, plus I think 13 is too high for David.
Good point. But if 13 is too high for David, is it too high for DJ?
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
If we are gonna draft an OLB, my pick would be Shawn Merriman because he has experince with dropping back in coverage and he can also rush the passer as well.
This guy is supposed to be a tremendous athelete who will excell in workouts
whether its the Indy combine or college day for his school which is Maryland.
This is the kinda guy whos rating may be very volatile between now and the draft in April: there's uncertainty because he projects/is most attractive as an OLB in 3-4 teams like ours but was a DE in college, i.e. he's a tweener. One thing in that regard that's disappointing - Maryland is one of the few colleges that plays 3-4 D but this guy was basically a DE, though he was involved in some pass D coverage. In other words, he missed a golden opportunity to develope and learn as a 3-4 OLB in what will be his natural position in the NFL.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the plan. Find a way to trade down twice, into the 2nd round. So we get 2 extra 2nds.

RD2 Elton Brown G
RD2 David Baas G/C
RD2 Wesley Britt T
RD3 Logan Mankins G/T
RD3 Jason Brown C

haha. now i know this looks funny, but it was just for fun. After a draft like this, it wouldnt matter who you put at RB, or QB. they would have all day to find a reciver, and a running lane.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Here is the plan. Find a way to trade down twice, into the 2nd round. So we get 2 extra 2nds.

RD2 Elton Brown G
RD2 David Baas G/C
RD2 Wesley Britt T
RD3 Logan Mankins G/T
RD3 Jason Brown C

haha. now i know this looks funny, but it was just for fun. After a draft like this, it wouldnt matter who you put at RB, or QB. they would have all day to find a reciver, and a running lane.
it would add new meaning to "the running of the Bulls". or "Bull Pen" etc....

but seriously Brown/Baas should both be at least late 1st rd picks, but I like your idea anyway.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #13
Wild Bill
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK

RD2 Elton Brown G
RD2 David Baas G/C
RD2 Wesley Britt T
RD3 Logan Mankins G/T
RD3 Jason Brown C

The one thing to keep in mind is that whoever we draft at 13, most likely will not be a starter for the Texans this year unless injury forces him into the lineup. That being said, I think the Texans will address the #2 wide receiver position in free agency. I also think they will try to pick up a D-Lineman in FA. Shawn Marriman would be an awesome project for the Texans. The guy is a physical freak. However, I would be happy with Spears, Jones, or Williamson with our 13th pick.

Forget about DJ. Forget about Mike Williams. Mark my words ,those guys will be long gone by #13.
Old 02-22-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
The one thing to keep in mind is that whoever we draft at 13, most likely will not be a starter for the Texans this year unless injury forces him into the lineup. That being said, I think the Texans will address the #2 wide receiver position in free agency. I also think they will try to pick up a D-Lineman in FA. Shawn Marriman would be an awesome project for the Texans. The guy is a physical freak. However, I would be happy with Spears, Jones, or Williamson with our 13th pick.

Forget about DJ. Forget about Mike Williams. Mark my words ,those guys will be long gone by #13.
Good post. I agree that those players will be gone. Big names just dont last on draft day. But I dont think our #13 will be a backup. I think they will try to get this guy on the field asap. I mean its not like we have a team of pro bowlers. Baas would be a starter. Elton Brown would be a starter. And I agree on getting a FA WR. I would hate to use #13 on a player like Williamson.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #15
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
Good point. But if 13 is too high for David, is it too high for DJ?
Definitely not, personally I think that it is too low for someone with the type of talent, plus he would play ILB in the 3-4. IMO DJ is the top prospect in the draft, but thats just me. DJ and Pollack have the same type of work ethic, good motor, and fly around giving 100%, but it comes down to DJ being faster, and more athletic in both the pass and run game, thats what pushes DJ over the top.
Old 02-22-2005   #16
wiley2002
Veteran

If our go to guys aren't there at #13, I think we should trade down in the first round and get a center. Sounds like that's a strong point in this draft. Then we can have two second rounders to play with. That should make up for only having two first day picks last year. Not saying that was a bad thing. I thought it worked in the end.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
The one thing to keep in mind is that whoever we draft at 13, most likely will not be a starter for the Texans this year unless injury forces him into the lineup.
The latest group think on this MB has been that we would take a CB with our
top pick because its a strong year for CBs and AG is getting long in the tooth.
Under that scenario it would be unlikely that the top pick would start the first
year. The thing is, he might not start his second year either because AG may
still be playing well or Faggins (a very good reserve) may beat out both
AG and the top pick by then. So right now we have 2 frontline CBs and a very good reserve (and our nickle back).
Compare that to the DL where we only have one real frontline player - we need help "now" up front. And we still need a real edge rusher to play
weak side OLB (and unlike Peek, one who can play the run to). And Bradford
is probably gone - so we look to the draft for our #2.
Between WR, DL, and the LB positions, FWIW I think we'll find a better player than what's still on the Board @ corner. And its very likely he'll be starting for us this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
The latest group think on this MB has been that we would take a CB with our
top pick because its a strong year for CBs and AG is getting long in the tooth.
Under that scenario it would be unlikely that the top pick would start the first
year. The thing is, he might not start his second year either because AG may
still be playing well or Faggins (a very good reserve) may beat out both
AG and the top pick by then. So right now we have 2 frontline CBs and a very good reserve (and our nickle back).
Compare that to the DL where we only have one real frontline player - we need help "now" up front. And we still need a real edge rusher to play
weak side OLB (and unlike Peek, one who can play the run to). And Bradford
is probably gone - so we look to the draft for our #2.
Between WR, DL, and the LB positions, FWIW I think we'll find a better player than what's still on the Board @ corner. And its very likely he'll be starting for us this year.

Pretty good thoughts. However, the issue with waiting on a starting level CB is that they seldom get past the middle of the 1st round. Sure, we might be able to get one latter, but the odds go down a lot. If things play out like I think most of us excpect, then this could be the last time in a long time that we will be in a position to get a top level CB without doing a lot of horse trading to get up far enough in the draft to get one. With the talent at CB that should be available when we pick, then IO we shoul;d pull the trigger. DE's and LBs are often found in round 2 & 3 atleast more often than CBs are.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #19
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Default Derrick Johnson

Saw another mock draft on ESPN news. DJ wasn't in the top ten. Would we pick him if he fell that far.Just wondering.
Paragon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

casserly has always placed a huge emphasis on the cornerback postion...lookback to the expansion draft and then ofcourse #10 last year.

reasons to select a cornerback in the 1st rd who wont start?

-manning.

-glenn's age

-glenn's recent history of injuries

-faggins.................sorry folks but im not sold on him.

-more quality cb's then any other postion....wich means the bpa could very well turn out to be a cb. and i think we all know the bpa is the cornerstone to how casserly drafts.

------------------------
as far as derrick johnson...i think hes the best player in this draft ,and the most ready to make an impact on the field. if he's there you take him without hesitation...but he wont be there.
------------------------

one of my bigger concerns with drafting a defensive lineman is our draft track record...hill has to be the worst pick in our brief history. in addition to that we've drafted a handfull of guys later on who never came close to turning out. as a whole this draft is weak for defensive linemen that fit a 3-4.

but there is a definite need for young defensive lineman on this team. no disputing that.

------------------------

wr. bradfords as good as gone...for good reason. horrible production and a bad salary. im keen on derrick mason depending on how much money he wants. if we dont go the free agency route i think we'll do fine in the draft. with so many great free agency wr's i can see a lot of prospects slipping in the draft. i think a quality wr can be had in the late 3rd to 4th. i like gaffney but i'm not sold on him as a #2 and i think he fits the slot better anyway.

------------------------

we have to get interior line help. i think our tackles will be fine. pitts showed potential as a tackle and will only get better as a guard. weigert wasnt horrible when he didnt have nagging injuries...i expect him to have a much better season. mckinney's gotta go. i'd love to see baas as his replacement but thats going to require a trade.

------------------------

te. ofcourse joppru is a wild card...im willing to give him 1 more season. you know what to expect from miller and bruner. the only draft pick i wanna see dedicated here is a 5 or later on a developmental player. i think with better line play miller and bruner (or jop) resurface as downfield targets. i dont think its as crucial as some people make it out to be. i do like heath miller but hes not worth the #13 in my opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read