Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-24-2009   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 203569 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Alabama-Tennessee *yawn*

Could there be a worse offense on a top team? It's been like watching the 2000 Ravens all year.
Old 10-24-2009   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alabama-Tennessee *yawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Could there be a worse offense on a top team? It's been like watching the 2000 Ravens all year.
I have a buddy that went to Bama who just doesn't want to believe that McElroy is a bad QB.
Old 10-24-2009   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I have a buddy that went to Bama who just doesn't want to believe that McElroy is a bad QB.
Going into the game he has over 1300 yards 9 TDs 3 INTs with a 60% completion percentage. He really isn't that bad in his first year starting.

Alabama plays a run the ball control the clock type of game. It works because their defense is stellar.

This Tennessee defense is damn good too. McElroy is 15-25 102 yards in this game. Seems to me he is just running the offense as Saban is asking him to.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Yawn my ass! That was a great finish! I love a good defensive game every now and then. I know good defense isn't something you Big 12 fans are used to seeing, but there are NFL D-lineman in the SEC. What a play by Mount Cody! Roll Tide!
Old 10-24-2009   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Does a close win over Tennessee hurt Bama? Will the college football pundits expect the #1 team in the country to beat a 3-4 team a little easier than they did. I mean, if Tennessee hits 1 more fg they win the game, so is it ok for a #1 team to win a 2 point game at home vs a 3-4 team?

I wonder if this game will drop Bama in terms of 1st place votes and cause some people to move Florida to #1?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #6
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Bama dropping back down
Old 10-24-2009   #7
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

this was football at its finest ROLL TIDE
Old 10-24-2009   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Great game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2009   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Yawn is right. Alabama seems to get a pass for its offense sucking ass. As the #1 ranked team in the country hey shouldn't have that much trouble with a sub .500 Tennessee squad AT HOME no less.

And I think that Cody should have gotten a flag for removing his helmet before the play was over. That should have given the Vols another shot from closer. The SEC is gonna have to answer that one for the Vol fans.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #10
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Yawn is right. Alabama seems to get a pass for its offense sucking ass. As the #1 ranked team in the country hey shouldn't have that much trouble with a sub .500 Tennessee squad AT HOME no less.

And I think that Cody should have gotten a flag for removing his helmet before the play was over. That should have given the Vols another shot from closer. The SEC is gonna have to answer that one for the Vol fans.
second week in a row that something doesnt get called for or gets called for in the SEC
Old 10-24-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
2009 first round nfl d-lineman by conference:

Sec: 1
big east: 2
big ten: 1
big 12: 2
mid-american: 1

2008 first round nfl d-lineman by conference:

Acc: 2
sec: 2
pac 10: 2

2007 first round nfl d-lineman by conference:

Acc: 1
sec: 3
big east: 1
big 12: 1

2006 first round nfl d-lineman by conference:

Acc: 4
pac-10: 1

2005 first round nfl d-lineman by conference:

Acc: 1
sec: 1
big ten: 2
pac-10: 1

i think it is pretty clear that no conference dominates nfl defensive lineman production.

2009 big 12 team stats:

Scoring defense:
Oklahoma - national rank 3 - 9.67 ppg
nebraska - national rank 6 - 11.83 ppg
texas - national rank 15 - 15 ppg

scoring offense:
Texas - national rank 1 - 42 ppg
texas tech - national rank 2 - 41.43 ppg
kansas - national rank 5 - 38.83 ppg
oklahoma state - national rank 8 - 37.50 ppg

2009 sec team stats:

Scoring defense:
Florida - national rank 1 - 8.67 ppg
alabama - national rank 4 - 11.57 ppg
mississipi - national rank 8 - 13.00 ppg
lsu - national rank 14 - 14.50 ppg

scoring offense:
Florida - national rank 11 - 36.33 ppg
auburn - national rank 12 - 34.86 ppg
alabama - national rank 13 - 34.57 ppg
arkansas - national rank 14 - 34.50 ppg

i would not say by that you can claim the sec to be noticeably better than the big 12 after looking at the statistics.

but hey, keep talking mess.
rep.
Old 10-25-2009   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 203569 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Yawn my ass! That was a great finish! I love a good defensive game every now and then. I know good defense isn't something you Big 12 fans are used to seeing, but there are NFL D-lineman in the SEC. What a play by Mount Cody! Roll Tide!
When I posted, it was a yawn-fest. The ending was fun, but up to the Tennessee TD, that game sucked. As for your "Big 12 fan" comment, I watch every Alabama game that's aired, since I have a Tide alum in the house. Their offense has been mediocre to bad all season. Their defense is amazing. That is why I mentioned the 2000 Ravens. So yeah, a defensive game is fun sometimes, but the Tide makes most defenses they play look better than they really are.
Old 10-25-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The SEC is gonna have to answer that one for the Vol fans.
a win because somebody took off their helmet really isnt a win... plus the game was over. i assume people can take off their helmets when the games over
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
2009 First round NFL D-Lineman by conference:

SEC: 1
Big East: 2
Big Ten: 1
Big 12: 2
Mid-American: 1

2008 First round NFL D-lineman by conference:

ACC: 2
SEC: 2
Pac 10: 2

2007 First round NFL D-lineman by conference:

ACC: 1
SEC: 3
Big East: 1
Big 12: 1

2006 First round NFL D-lineman by conference:

ACC: 4
Pac-10: 1

2005 First round NFL D-lineman by conference:

ACC: 1
SEC: 1
Big Ten: 2
Pac-10: 1

I think it is pretty clear that no conference dominates NFL defensive lineman production.
this isn't a very good way to prove your point at all. D-line is pretty deep, you'll find far more great players outside of the first round.

i'm not saying you're right or wrong, i'm just saying it's not a convincing argument.

Last edited by kastofsna; 10-25-2009 at 09:04 AM.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #15
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
a win because somebody took off their helmet really isnt a win... plus the game was over. i assume people can take off their helmets when the games over
Right. And it was already pronounced dead anyways so the Tide would have gotten the ball back still but just 15 yards back. The game still wouldve been over.
Old 10-25-2009   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll join in on this smack talk....

Any given Saturday the smart money is on the SEC. They are just that much better. Texas certainly doesn't stand a chance at winning the National Championship with both Florida and Bama in the top three. Mack Brown is hoping against hope that they won't have to face an SEC team in the title game (if they make it that far).

Any credit given to Texas falls back to the SEC. Much to my dismay they managed to get Muschamp away from Auburn. He knows what it's like to play real football in the best conference.
Old 10-25-2009   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I'll join in on this smack talk....

Any given Saturday the smart money is on the SEC. They are just that much better. Texas certainly doesn't stand a chance at winning the National Championship with both Florida and Bama in the top three. Mack Brown is hoping against hope that they won't have to face an SEC team in the title game (if they make it that far).

Any credit given to Texas falls back to the SEC. Much to my dismay they managed to get Muschamp away from Auburn. He knows what it's like to play real football in the best conference.
Don't agree with this at all. I don't see Florida as better than Texas. Alabama looks to be about equal to Texas, maybe a little bit better.

Any credit given to Texas falls back to the SEC? Uhhh, Texas has the highest scoring offense in the nation. People who say that Texas' offense is their weakness needs to look at the scoreboard.

SEC is overrated this year outside the top 2 teams, and it isn't like those 2 teams are dominating every team they play.

If you look at strength of schedule, Alabama and Texas are tied at like 17. Florida is at 66. Interestingly, Oklahoma is at #1.
Old 10-25-2009   #18
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Actually the game wasnt over. Taking your helmet off while the play is still going on is an automatic 15 yard penalty and TENN should have gotten a 2nd kick. So you assumed incorrectly.
Old 10-25-2009   #19
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Mack Brown is hoping against hope that they won't have to face an SEC team in the title game (if they make it that far).
Oh did he tell you that during yalls brunch together, or are you just making that up?
Old 10-25-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually the game wasnt over. Taking your helmet off while the play is still going on is an automatic 15 yard penalty and TENN should have gotten a 2nd kick. So you assumed incorrectly.
I noticed him take off his helmet as well, and tried to see a replay where they showed the clock and when he took his helmet off and they never showed it. You would be guessing if you said he took his helmet off before the game ended. He didn't take it off right away.

I don't think you can say it was a blown call if you're not sure when he took the helmet off.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read