Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-21-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerry Turns Down Offer

Without even reading it I was already thinking..."should have taken it Jerry." Then he explains it and I'm not sure what stopped him besides Jerry overvaluing a player on a team that has been average right now. I'm wondering what player could be so valuable and so untradebale for high picks and another starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=4582872

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones made it clear Wednesday that he turned down a "significant offer" before Tuesday's trade deadline.

The details of the proposed deal are muddy, and Jones hopes to keep it that way.

"We had a significant offer for a key player that we turned down, and turned down in getting in more extended dialogue for," Jones said. "So we did have that kind of activity ... but I shouldn't name the player or the team. It was a very firm, significant offer for one of our young players that we had a chance for a lot of consideration if we had wanted to take it, and we didn't."

When asked specifically whether Tashard Choice was the target, Jones said the player was not a running back.

He indicated that the Cowboys were offered at least one premium draft pick for the player. He also hinted that the Cowboys could have pushed for a player who could contribute this season.

"We could have probably made a 'now' impact and just bolstered a position and significantly, and obviously we would have had a takeaway since it's a young player for the future," Jones said. "By the same token, and I'm talking about the type of consideration, first- or second-round type consideration, but the bottom line is this, had I not thought that we need that player right now as opposed to pushing forward in consideration for picks in the future, then I would have taken the pick option on it rather than the player."
Old 10-21-2009   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerry Turns Down Offer

Quote:
"The details of the proposed deal are muddy"
No shit.

EDIT: I should elaborate. This is Jerry Jones. For all we know this was his way of getting media attention.
Old 10-21-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
No shit.

EDIT: I should elaborate. This is Jerry Jones. For all we know this was his way of getting media attention.
Even being a fan I agree. I just don't know of a player on the team that would make me thing..."sorry I don't want that 1st rounder and that starter from your team" because no one has played that well to deserve it so far. I would be "done and done."
Old 10-21-2009   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No shit.

This is what first popped into my head too.
Old 10-21-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No shit.

My thoughts exactly. This is basically an article about nothing.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry probably made that up.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As forked as Stretch's tongue is, I have the "code" figured out. It's Flozell Adams!. He is young (younger than Jerruh). He has "now" impact (guaranteed penalties every game) as well as future impact (part of the building blocks barring playoff appearances). And like he said, he would have gone for a pick rather than a player (after all he already has an offensive player..........very offensive). Yep, the Girls are stuck with Flozell, until either he or Jerruh croaks. What a story!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2009   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys have one of the top ranked offenses...I just don't believe Jerry about all that.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Buffalo calling about taking Romo for T.O.!
Old 10-22-2009   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Even being a fan I agree. I just don't know of a player on the team that would make me thing..."sorry I don't want that 1st rounder and that starter from your team" because no one has played that well to deserve it so far. I would be "done and done."
So if it was Ware you would have traded him?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #11
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
^^^^^^This.
Old 10-22-2009   #12
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Actually, it was Detroit wanting to trade Jim Schwartz for Wade Phillips.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

my guess is the Patriots calling about Miles Austin
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ellus-bennett/

Quote:
ESPN's Chris Mortenson reports that the Cincinnati Bengals are the team who was interested in swinging a trade with the Dallas Cowboys and that, as we had been hearing, the target was tight end Martellus Bennett.
Old 10-22-2009   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Makes sense after watching Owen Daniels up close and personal last Sunday.
Old 10-22-2009   #16
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

If it was Bennett, and I were him. I think I might be a little upset that they didn't make the trade.

1. Knowing that his name isn't Witten, he knows he will always be the second TE for the Cowboys, and (according to TO) you won't get many passes thrown your way (cause you are not Witten)

2. Palmer >>>> Romo
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #17
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
1. Knowing that his name isn't Witten, he knows he will always be the second TE for the Cowboys, and (according to TO) you won't get many passes thrown your way (cause you are not Witten)
Also, according to one of the announcers in the Dallas/KC game, Witten is Romo's favorite target.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #18
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

There were also rumors about this here:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66090

Saying basically that it was us trying for Tashard Choice offering a 2nd and a 4th.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

What is funny about the Martellus trade rumor is that he was supposed to be a big part of their offense when they ran alot of double TE formations. He isn't getting the ball..and neither is Witten in the red zone in some games. So being the 2nd TE on a team that isn't using them effectively right now isn't the best thing. There was an article about a charity event he was at and I believe he joked with a kid that was throwing the ball to not be like Romo because he wouldn't get the ball. I'd have done this deal. Witten isn't old and will be the man no matter Bennetts talent..which is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
So if it was Ware you would have traded him?
I thought about this and as crazy as it seems, I might. He hasn't been as effective this year. He is a complete stud but the defense has underperformed in big moments. Depends on who the player being offered was and the pick. If it was 1st rounder and a legit starter, I'd entertain it. If it was 2nd rounder and starter, probably not because Jerry would trade back with that pick and get a special teamer..lol
Old 10-22-2009   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Dammit, that would have been golden for my fantasy team.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read