Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak's latest comments on RB situation

Regarding Chris Brown

Texans coach Gary Kubiak heaped praise on backup RB Chris Brown Monday.
Brown came in as the Texans' "closer", rushing for the majority of his 45 yards in the fourth quarter. "I'm going to continue with the role I see Chris in ," Kubiak said. "Obviously, Chris responded (against the Bengals). He was much better, especially good at the end of that game." Brown has 32 carries on the season while Steve Slaton has 91. Expect that kind of split to continue.

Regarding Steve Slaton

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said his biggest concern with Steve Slaton right now is his fumbles.
It's not a problem that will threaten Slaton's playing time, as long as he corrects it. Slaton lost another fumble in Sunday's win over the Bengals and has now fumbled five times in six games. Chris Brown replaced Slaton immediately after his latest fumble, but Kubiak said he thought Brown was the better back to run out the clock.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #2
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's latest comments on RB situationq

There isn't any consistency but I saw some signs of life from the running game on Sunday. I have a feeling once Slaton busts a big one things will get a bit easier. And as long as follow the pass first game-plan the rest of the way we should be dynamic on offense regardless.
Old 10-20-2009   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
There isn't any consistency but I saw some signs of life from the running game on Sunday. I have a feeling once Slaton busts a big one things will get a bit easier. And as long as follow the pass first game-plan the rest of the way we should be dynamic on offense regardless.
Well Slaton is breaking the big ones, it's just been on the pass. I really liked what Kubes and Shanahan did in the last game by trying to get Slaton more involved in the passing game where he could find the space he needed to break the big plays. There have been several runs this year where he almost broke a big one, it's just that one guy would get there at the last second and stop him. When Slaton has had room to run, he's been pretty damn good though. THey just need to open up the holes for him in the running game and he can break those big plays like you've seen him do in the passing game. If they continue to struggle though, they need to do everything possible at finding ways to get him the ball with the pass and run him that way. Slaton is a dynamic play maker, so getting him the ball in space needs to be a top priority.
Old 10-20-2009   #4
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Agreed...although, I am no more in favor of blidnly commiting to a pass first game-plan than I am stubbornly comitting to a run first game-plan. We need to stick with what is working. If the passing games continues with the same sort of success we are capable of, defenses will need to adjust. This may allow for more opportunities with the running game.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we still have Arian Foster?

Have not remembered the deal on him.

Is it an injury and practice squad thing? Did he get signed away from us? Did he get dropped?

Too lazy to look it up. Someone help me.

We can't roll into the next two season with only Steve Slaton and Moats/Brown hanging around as long-term solutions.
Old 10-20-2009   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Agreed...although, I am no more in favor of blidnly commiting to a pass first game-plan than I am stubbornly comitting to a run first game-plan. We need to stick with what is working. If the passing games continues with the same sort of success we are capable of, defenses will need to adjust. This may allow for more opportunities with the running game.
Yes.

We take what we're given.

And it's obvious that we have as good of a passing attack as any other in the NFL right now.

Make people stop you. Don't try and pretend you can do it all. UNTIL you can do it all. This team has a finesse run blocking offensive line. We need violent men on that line. I think Eric Winston is the meanest we have. We need four more mean guys who have stability and interpersonal relationship issues.

Yes, there must be running plays mixed in. No, it cannot be seen as a mandatory 50-50 split each time (as Kubiak said he desires it). Not until you have a meaner offensive line who can get 1 yard at the goal line. It's dumb to expect any RB to get that yard on his own in today's NFL.
Old 10-20-2009   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Do we still have Arian Foster?

Have not remembered the deal on him.

Is it an injury and practice squad thing? Did he get signed away from us? Did he get dropped?

Too lazy to look it up. Someone help me.

We can't roll into the next two season with only Steve Slaton and Moats/Brown hanging around as long-term solutions.
Yes, Foster is on the practice squad
Old 10-20-2009   #8
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Brown had one decent game vs. the TWO games he's cost us.

Im not drinking the kool-aid yet. He got lucky.
Old 10-20-2009   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see more of Moats. The running game seems to move a little more when he gets a few carries.
Old 10-20-2009   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I want to see more of Moats. The running game seems to move a little more when he gets a few carries.
Absolutely. I don't know why we're not seeing more of Moats. I'm pretty much in favor of a running back by committee approach, if anything else, just for troubleshooting purposes. Find out if it's Slaton or the OL being the reason the running game isn't working.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Brown had one decent game vs. the TWO games he's cost us.

Im not drinking the kool-aid yet. He got lucky.
Yeah, this is classic Kubiak on the issue of how he selects RBs:

"I make good decisions. Chris Brown will succeed. Because I will him to succeed."

Fact is this: I was dang scared when I saw Chris Brown running over the middle at the end of the game. I got the shakes. I seriously did.

This team's RB situation is nowhere near where it should be. It's thin. I'll take it for now. But the RB situation is shaky IMO. I actually prefer Moats right now.
Old 10-20-2009   #12
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"I make good decisions. Chris Brown will succeed. Because I will him to succeed."

Fact is this: I was dang scared when I saw Chris Brown running over the middle at the end of the game. I got the shakes. I seriously did.

This team's RB situation is nowhere near where it should be. It's thin. I'll take it for now. But the RB situation is shaky IMO. I actually prefer Moats right now.
This is because Houston sports fans have Battered Fan Syndrome.

We always feel we can fix our teams, and always end up bruised and battered in the fetal position in the corner of the room.

But yes, I know what your talking about.
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Hard to say whether it would be better to give Moats more carries. Slaton is a playmaker so we've gotta give him playing time. The coaching staff feels that Brown is our best option in short yardage.

The only way we see Moats getting carries is if we stop throwing the ball less. Since that's pretty much the reason we're moving the ball on offense I dont think we'll be seeing Moats get any carries until Slaton has a 100 yard day on the ground which would mean Schaub isn't throwing the ball 40-50 times a game.
Old 10-20-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Moats is slowed because of turf toe
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

It seems like everyone wants to see more of Moats. Moats played well in that one game, and we haven't hardly seen him since. I don't understand Kubiak's fixation on Chris Brown. He's done nothing for this team and hasn't proven anything since he's been here other than the fact that Tennessee was smart by not retaining him when they had the chance, because he's been our problem ever since.
Old 10-20-2009   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Hard to say whether it would be better to give Moats more carries. Slaton is a playmaker so we've gotta give him playing time. The coaching staff feels that Brown is our best option in short yardage.

The only way we see Moats getting carries is if we stop throwing the ball less. Since that's pretty much the reason we're moving the ball on offense I dont think we'll be seeing Moats get any carries until Slaton has a 100 yard day on the ground which would mean Schaub isn't throwing the ball 40-50 times a game.
It just makes sense, that if you put as much as we do into running the ball, you should try to fix what isn;t working. You can still throw to Slaton. You can have them both on the field at the same time. Use him in the slot. Maybe take a few of Slaton's carries and give to Moats. 12-8/15-5 ratio.
Old 10-20-2009   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
It just makes sense, that if you put as much as we do into running the ball, you should try to fix what isn;t working. You can still throw to Slaton. You can have them both on the field at the same time. Use him in the slot. Maybe take a few of Slaton's carries and give to Moats. 12-8/15-5 ratio.
I'd like to see them run a wildcat style package with Casey at QB and Moats/Slaton as the RBs. That could cause some headaches for DCs with the athleticism in that backfield.
Old 10-20-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I'd like to see them run a wildcat style package with Casey at QB and Moats/Slaton as the RBs. That could cause some headaches for DCs with the athleticism in that backfield.
That would be cool. That would require Casey see the field...He needs to get more snaps, me thinks.
Old 10-20-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's latest comments on RB situation

Slaton in the first half, Brown in the second half. Its worked in all our wins this year. Brown has played very well this year in his role other than the last carry of the JAX game.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:

While Gibbs and Kubiak have an approach to RB's and not drafting them in the high rounds...but enough is enough. Alabama runs a ZBS system and Mark Ingram is KILLING it right now. If he declares he could be available at our pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read