Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 10-19-2009   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best way to Reliant from Austin?

Just scored my first pair of tickets and a parking pass in a very, very long time to make the pilgrimage to Houston and watch my Texans! Just found out about an hour ago and am already friggin' pumped!! Already setting out my gameday gear damnit!

So, as I haven't been in a good while and coming from Austin, just wanting some info.

I plan on having my buddy drive, we'll take 71 to I-10 into H-town.

After that, if I remember right, do I just take 610 over to Kirby and exit? Is that the best way? I don't know what color my pass is (will physically get my tix and pass Wednesday or Thursday and forgot to ask) but the lots are all next to each other so you just enter in the same place then find your color right?

Also, what time do they open the gates to the lots, because I plan on getting there as early as possible to A) Drink, B) Take it all in and commune with my fellow Texans fans and of course C) Drink (I aint driving so vugg it!!)

Any insider info would be appreciated instead of the directions you usually see on Google or whatever.

GO TEXANS!!!!!!!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best way to Reliant from Austin?

I would take 290 all the way in till 610
Old 10-19-2009   #3
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 13450 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

i took 290 to 610 to kirby exit when i went a couple times....i always had blue parking or I stayed at the holiday inn there by the stadium
Old 10-19-2009   #4
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, 290 to 610 South. Follow 610 to the Main or Kirby exit, depending on where you are parking.

Edit, well I just read your post.

I 10 to 610 south works too

The lots open at 8:00 am (unless you are in platinum - 7:00 am for them)
Old 10-19-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate 290. I take 71 to I-10 and I live by 290. Fewer speed traps.
Old 10-20-2009   #6
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I have made the trip overe 100 times and always take 71, much nicer ride.
If you hungry in the am, stop in Ellinger, thats outside of LaGrange and the speed drops to 55 for a short time. The store there Hruska's has some awesome food, and a killer deli.
If you go early then just take the route you have listed. We are leaving at 5am from SW Austin and will be driving with full gear blazing, maybe we will see you!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
If you hungry in the am, stop in Ellinger, thats outside of LaGrange and the speed drops to 55 for a short time. The store there Hruska's has some awesome food, and a killer deli.
If you go early then just take the route you have listed. We are leaving at 5am from SW Austin and will be driving with full gear blazing, maybe we will see you!

Yeah, I make the trip down 71 to I-10 whenever I go see my family out in Sugar Land, so I'm definitely familiar with the drive to Houston. I just haven't been to the 610/288ish area in a long while, so didn't remember the best way to get there once in Houston. Hruskas is great, usually always make my 1 pit stop there.

I usually try to stay away from 290 from here because of all the lights, lower speed limits, more cops (it seems) and I live in SW Austin too (between Dripping Springs and Oak HIll on 290W) so 71 is right up my alley.

All the different colored lots are pretty much right next to each other right? Or do I need specific directions per which lot I have?

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2009   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Yeah, I make the trip down 71 to I-10 whenever I go see my family out in Sugar Land, so I'm definitely familiar with the drive to Houston. I just haven't been to the 610/288ish area in a long while, so didn't remember the best way to get there once in Houston. Hruskas is great, usually always make my 1 pit stop there.

I usually try to stay away from 290 from here because of all the lights, lower speed limits, more cops (it seems) and I live in SW Austin too (between Dripping Springs and Oak HIll on 290W) so 71 is right up my alley.

All the different colored lots are pretty much right next to each other right? Or do I need specific directions per which lot I have?
You need specific directions to your lot. I'd find out what lot you're in but it'll be easy enough to find on gameday. The Texans are very good with their sign placement overall and you should be able to find your lot. Go to HoustonTexans.com and take a gander at their parking lots. If you're coming early enough... No worries. Just don't think that you're going to get into the stadium on time if you arrive an hour before. It's a good 20 minute trek from the yellow lot which is where I park to my seats so consider that factor. If you park in yellow, look for the TexanMojo Emergency Tailgating vehicle and go shotgun a beer. Even if you're not a drinker. There's nothing like that experience. Props to those guys!
Old 10-20-2009   #9
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
You need specific directions to your lot. I'd find out what lot you're in but it'll be easy enough to find on gameday. The Texans are very good with their sign placement overall and you should be able to find your lot. Go to HoustonTexans.com and take a gander at their parking lots. If you're coming early enough... No worries. Just don't think that you're going to get into the stadium on time if you arrive an hour before. It's a good 20 minute trek from the yellow lot which is where I park to my seats so consider that factor. If you park in yellow, look for the TexanMojo Emergency Tailgating vehicle and go shotgun a beer. Even if you're not a drinker. There's nothing like that experience. Props to those guys!
Yeah, I think Yellow is where I have usually ended up in the past and I know that is a bear of a walk. I was at the Houston-Pittsburgh game a few years back when the roof was open and everyone fried (I think that game was a main reason for the 80-50 rule now). That walk SUCKED in that heat!!

I also think I did happen to run into that crew you mentioned once before. I ended up shotgunning a couple with the "Elvis" guy near a Texans themed UPS truck or Ambulance looking vehicle, so may have been them (was getting pretty bombed by that point and was a few years ago, but I think that was them).

Anyway, hell yes, looking forward to throwing a few back and hopefully getting involved in someones BBQ before hand (maybe trade up for some brews, will bring extras coldies!!) It's like Christmas for me man! I've already told most of my co-workers and am just pumped already!! I know alot of people go alot more than me, so maybe I sound ridiculous, but damn I love this team and hardly get a chance to go, so am hyped to the max about it!

Old 10-20-2009   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've made the trip to Houston 100 times myself and usually take 290 only because my destination is typically on the NW side. This Saturday I will take 71 to 10 since we are in a hotel next to Reliant. Once you get past Bastrop on 71 the trip is nice. Either way works fine. Drive safe!
Old 10-20-2009   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post

Repped for the Hruskas reference!!
Old 10-20-2009   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Rep, huh? I'll check that out. Sounds like I've been overlooking something.

Is this what I'm looking for?

I think I'm the only one that doesn't know...lol
Old 10-20-2009   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Rep, huh? I'll check that out. Sounds like I've been overlooking something.

Is this what I'm looking for?

I think I'm the only one that doesn't know...lol

Yeah that's the place. Kolaches are the friggin best there!

Old 10-20-2009   #14
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I hate 290. I take 71 to I-10 and I live by 290. Fewer speed traps.
I never take 290 because it's too dangerous compared to 71 and I-10. Long stretches w/o shoulders and no divider between cars heading east and cars heading west. Dying in a head-on collision because of some dumbass answering a text is something I try to avoid.

Congrats to the OP on the tickets. I wish I could go.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I never take 290 because it's too dangerous compared to 71 and I-10. Long stretches w/o shoulders and no divider between cars heading east and cars heading west. Dying in a head-on collision because of some dumbass answering a text is something I try to avoid.

Congrats to the OP on the tickets. I wish I could go.
Hey, quit dissing SWT. He knows how to text perfectly.

They both have their dangers. I-10 has lots of 18 wheelers and things fly off all the time. I should know. A little chain fell off and totaled my car a few years back. If that chain had bounced just a couple inches higher, I'd have no head. That's for sure.

Head-on collisions vs. dodging 18 wheelers. Choose your poison.
Old 10-20-2009   #16
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

My best encounter on I-10 was right past Katy and had a mattress bounce off the back of a truck and fly just right over my head.
Old 10-21-2009   #17
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
hey wheres my rep? I was the one who pointed out Hruska's then he just second that , I need some rep Bill! Besides when I get there I was told by Specnatz to seek you out!
Old 10-21-2009   #18
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Quote:
Here it is Bill!
Old 10-21-2009   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

All you guys/gals coming from the Austin (surrounding area) have a SAFE trip and come visit the Blue Crew!! We'll be lookin for ya!!

I think you guys should meet someplace and come as a carivan!! That would be an awesome site!! HILL COUNTRY TEXANS!!! Flags flying, cars decorated, lots of horn blowin! Wooohoooo!! Fun times on I-10 and 610!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Repped for the Hruska's reference!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read