Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak's X's and O's emulated and studied around the league

Since this was an away game, did the rest of you catch what the announcers said about how lot of coaches in the league really admire Kubiak's offense and are trying to duplicate it? They even mentioned during the game that the Bengals coach spent a lot of time during the offseason studying it. That was definitely a "Woah, did you just hear that?" moment.

They say imitation is the finest form of flattery. That couldn't be more true than in the NFL.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's X's and O's emulated and studied around the league

Well after Denver was so succesful running the ball and had that long string of playoff appearances, everyone wanted to implement it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well after Denver was so succesful running the ball and had that long string of playoff appearances, everyone wanted to implement it.
Well, after being gashed by the ZBS (running game) in the preseason and the first few games, it seems as if teams are running it better than we are.
Old 10-19-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Kubiak is an excellent X's and O's coach. Nobody disputes that but I think his problem is that he's not a "leader" so much as a behind the scenes operator.

In other words, he's a better coordinator than head coach. I hope he proves me wrong this season!!!
Old 10-19-2009   #5
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Kubiak is an excellent X's and O's coach. Nobody disputes that but I think his problem is that he's not a "leader" so much as a behind the scenes operator.

In other words, he's a better coordinator than head coach. I hope he proves me wrong this season!!!
Seems like a more nuaced view might be appropriate.

I've not seen an ounce of quit in his teams and their 2nd half record bears that out. At the same time, they do seem to read their own press a little too much and don't seem to be "ready to play" after big wins.

I think both fall under leadership.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Seems like a more nuaced view might be appropriate.

I've not seen an ounce of quit in his teams and their 2nd half record bears that out. At the same time, they do seem to read their own press a little too much and don't seem to be "ready to play" after big wins.

I think both fall under leadership.
As Stephanie mentioned in her blog last week, this is the youngest team in the NFL and this is the first season that this team has had above average talent. So, to this point, I think he's gotten a lot out of what he had to work with. Check back with me if they don't win 10 games this season.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Check back with me if they don't win 10 games this season.
The Texans will have to go 7-3 for the rest of the season to win 10 games this year. Not saying they can't, just saying.......

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2009   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Texans will have to go 7-3 for the rest of the season to win 10 games this year. Not saying they can't, just saying.......
They've been good late in the season in the last couple of years, and they also look like they're a better road team. I really don't think it's crazy to think they can still win 10 games.

If you think about it - with all the problems the team has had this year, they're really only a game worse than most people thought they would be right now. I think most people had them at 4-2 after six games.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. They went 8-4 in their last 12 last year. This year's team is much better than that one.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
They've been good late in the season in the last couple of years, and they also look like they're a better road team. I really don't think it's crazy to think they can still win 10 games.

If you think about it - with all the problems the team has had this year, they're really only a game worse than most people thought they would be right now. I think most people had them at 4-2 after six games.
The Texas are quite capable of winning 10 or 11 games this year. But will they? Can they get past the historical model and make something of themselves?

I hope so, I hope they kick butt. I'm tired of being an also ran in this league.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #11
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We are at .500 and still have legit chance to go playoff or the first winning season.

Now, when Kubiak became HC for Texans after Capers era, how many players left from that era? Not many right? The most players are filled from draft which make us very young team like stephanie mentioned.

After 3 years under Kubiak(going on 4th), we now have quite a few quality players in our roster. Back in Capers era, when they cut someone most likely they will be unemployed. But now, when we cut someone they get picked up by other NFL team which means we do have quality players.

Just give our young team sometime, we will only get better.

Just hang on Texans' fan(me included), we will be very strong team for years to come. As Mario said, we finally turned the corner. Of course, we will have some ups and downs but, we will be very stong and respected team for years to come IMO.

My English capability is very limited and this is all I can write for now.

Go Texans!!!
Go Texans' fan!!!

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 10-20-2009 at 08:20 AM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 87379 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
We are at .500 and still have legit chance to go playoff or the first winning season.

Now, when Kubiak became HC for Texans after Capers era, how many players left from that era? No many right? The most players are filled from draft which make us very young team like stepanie mentioned.

After 3 years under Kubiak(going on 4th), we now have quite a few quality players in our roster. Back in Capers era, when they cut someone most likely they will be unemployed. But now, when we cut someone they get picked up by other NFL team which means we do have quality players.

Just give our young team sometime, we will only get better.

Just hang on Texans' fan(me included), we will be very strong team for years to come. As Mario said, we finally turned the corner. Of course, we will have some ups and downs but, we will be very stong and respected team for years to come IMO.

My English capability is very limited and this is all can write for now.

Go Texans!!!
Go Texans' fan!!!
i think i counted 9 at the time that were kept, and that included names like cc brown that arent here any more. the only keepers were dunta, pitts, johnson, and kris brown - everybody else has been replaced in kubiak's time. considering our age and a 49 player turnover in 4 years, we've come a VERY long way. this team is really going to be judged in a bout 5 years when players like mario, demeco, cushing, dwayne brown, etc etc are in their primes and we've got home grown veterans.

i caught the remark about lewis and other coaches studying and trying to duplicate kubiak's offense, and it doesnt suprise me at all. kubiak had been considered for head coaching jobs for years because it was obvious he knows offensive X's and O's as well as anybody in the league. with his pedigree and the players he's worked with, it's impossible for other coaches not to notice how dynamic he's made our offense with castoffs and youth in such a short time.
Old 10-20-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are the definition of any given Sunday. We are just as likely to go 10-0, 9-1, 8-2, 7-3....etc
Old 10-20-2009   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think i counted 9 at the time that were kept, and that included names like cc brown that arent here any more. the only keepers were dunta, pitts, johnson, and kris brown - everybody else has been replaced in kubiak's time. considering our age and a 49 player turnover in 4 years, we've come a VERY long way. this team is really going to be judged in a bout 5 years when players like mario, demeco, cushing, dwayne brown, etc etc are in their primes and we've got home grown veterans.
i caught the remark about lewis and other coaches studying and trying to duplicate kubiak's offense, and it doesnt suprise me at all. kubiak had been considered for head coaching jobs for years because it was obvious he knows offensive X's and O's as well as anybody in the league. with his pedigree and the players he's worked with, it's impossible for other coaches not to notice how dynamic he's made our offense with castoffs and youth in such a short time.
Isn't it exciting to know that our young players like Mario, DeMeco, Cushing, and others are not in their prime yet?

This is why I am saying "give these young studs sometime" because they will only get better.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the ZBS is so outdated that the Packers, Falcons, and Bengals all have winning record.

And at least half of the league, including the Colts, employ ZBS in some of their plays.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #16
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yeah, the ZBS is so outdated that the Packers, Falcons, and Bengals all have winning record.

And at least half of the league, including the Colts, employ ZBS in some of their plays.
Gibbs runs a version of ZBS, not all teams run ZBS the same. Most every team in college and pro's has some version of ZBS in it playbook.

Gibbs system is roughly 6 run plays executed to perfection, where the quick athletic blockers skill set is rated higher than power ball skill set.

His version of the ZBS is effective when the OC and OGs get off the ball and make a series of blocks in order for the RB to find a cutback lane. In 1995 the average DT was just starting to hit 300 Lbs, now most teams have guys in the 320's or some even bigger, who are just as athletic as the player from the past. Our OL has to grow with the times.

Also it takes time for the player to get the consistency that Gibbs demands, so few rookies are given the chance to play.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Gibbs runs a version of ZBS, not all teams run ZBS the same. Most every team in college and pro's has some version of ZBS in it playbook.

Gibbs system is roughly 6 run plays executed to perfection, where the quick athletic blockers skill set is rated higher than power ball skill set.

His version of the ZBS is effective when the OC and OGs get off the ball and make a series of blocks in order for the RB to find a cutback lane. In 1995 the average DT was just starting to hit 300 Lbs, now most teams have guys in the 320's or some even bigger, who are just as athletic as the player from the past. Our OL has to grow with the times.

Also it takes time for the player to get the consistency that Gibbs demands, so few rookies are given the chance to play.
What does 1995 have to do with it? Did Gibbs stop coaching in 1995? Last I checked, he took a few other teams after that to #1 rushing attack in the NFL. In fact, he did it with the Falcons when Matt Schaub was there, with Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett. Vick had a lot to do with it as well, but they were a great rushing team even without Vick. If they would have had a passing game, they would have been deadly.
Old 10-20-2009   #18
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you look at the Texan's remaining schedule, they could very well be favored in seven of their last 10 games. Even if that does not turn out to be the case, the only games that they will be prohibitive underdogs in will be Indianapolis (twice) and the last game at home against New England.

Here is a link to the Texans schedule:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=hou

It will be an impressive run if the Texans can finish 10-6. But I am looking forward to seeing it happen.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

Bengals

C Kyle Cook 312 lbs is a slow turk and not very agile
LG Mathis 295 lbs

Falcons
C McClure is 295 lbs
RG Dahl is 305 lbs
LT Baker is 307 lbs

Packers
C Spitz is 307 lbs
LG Colledge is 308 lbs
RT Barbre is 305 lbs
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read