Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2009   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans are third in Defense over the last three games.

The Texans have allowed an average of 267 YPG over the last three games. If you compare that to the stats for all teams for the year, that would put the Texans at 3rd in yards allowed.

Yes I know the Raiders skewed the numbers a little, but we faced two potent offenses as well.

Stats from NFL.com:

Raiders: 165
Cardinals: 340
Bengals: 296

I don't like to cherry pick data, but it's pretty telling. After the Jacksonville game, the simplification of the defense is paying off. I'm fairly confident this is not a top 5 defense, or a top ten defense, but if we can get in to the mid to low teens that would be awesome. I know this was talked about a lot in the offseason.
Old 10-19-2009   #2
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans are third in Defense over the last three games.

The biggest problem with the team is consistency. If we can continue to play defense like we have the past three weeks, than i can not wait til we play the Colts.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Consistency will be hard to attain without true veteran leadership. It would be nice if we could find it though!!!
Old 10-19-2009   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

The stats are interesting if nothing else!

Since I have no idea what 'simplifying the defense' actually means in regards to our team, I will stick to crediting Pollard, Reeves and 'gelling' for our defensive success the last three weeks
Old 10-19-2009   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the effort. People are hitting, and not quitting on plays. Makes you look alot better. Plus, Reeves is playing out of his mind.
Old 10-19-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
The stats are interesting if nothing else!

Since I have no idea what 'simplifying the defense' actually means in regards to our team, I will stick to crediting Pollard, Reeves and 'gelling' for our defensive success the last three weeks
Apparently, it means benching Fred Bennett!
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Apparently, it means benching Fred Bennett!
Not only him but Busing as well. We have to remember that our defense got a huge jump with the addition of Pollard and Quin as well as the return of Reeves. Then we've got to consider the fact that the Cushlash absolutely transformed things and he needed a little bit of time to get his feet wet (first 3 games). I'm not seeing teams move the ball at will anymore. Never did. Even through preseason. Just the BIG play.

I don't know if I want to bring on the Colts but the Texans defense really has done VERY well all year. Just the big play haunted us and it takes a little bit to gel. We had to figure out how to fine tune that. I think we've got it now. The Colts will test our secondary but I really liked what I saw in the second half against Arizona. Adjustments were made. I even saw adjustments against the Titans and Jaguars but the 'Zona game was the one where adjustments clicked bigtime. We shut them down in the second half. Adjustments have been made for 5 games straight and they've gotten better each time despite our losses. That reeks of the beginnings of consistency to me.

I'm really excited right now. Houston, we finally have a competitive football team.
Old 10-19-2009   #8
davemundy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
The Texans have allowed an average of 267 YPG over the last three games. If you compare that to the stats for all teams for the year, that would put the Texans at 3rd in yards allowed.

Yes I know the Raiders skewed the numbers a little, but we faced two potent offenses as well.

Stats from NFL.com:

Raiders: 165
Cardinals: 340
Bengals: 296

I don't like to cherry pick data, but it's pretty telling. After the Jacksonville game, the simplification of the defense is paying off. I'm fairly confident this is not a top 5 defense, or a top ten defense, but if we can get in to the mid to low teens that would be awesome. I know this was talked about a lot in the offseason.
A lot of us were saying in pre-season that this team had that kind of potential. The DL isn't getting all the glamorous sacks, but it is supplying enough pressure to keep opposing QBs honest, especially int he second halves of these games. The DBs have made a huge leap forward with Brenard Pollard in there. And Ryans and Cushing seem to be in a contest to see which one can dominate each game. There's still work to do, but this defense is starting to act the way Frank Bush wants it to act.
davemundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemundy View Post
A lot of us were saying in pre-season that this team had that kind of potential. The DL isn't getting all the glamorous sacks, but it is supplying enough pressure to keep opposing QBs honest, especially int he second halves of these games. The DBs have made a huge leap forward with Brenard Pollard in there. And Ryans and Cushing seem to be in a contest to see which one can dominate each game. There's still work to do, but this defense is starting to act the way Frank Bush wants it to act.
I don't think there's as much pressure as there could be from the defensive linemen. We need an improvement somewhere there. I get that a pressure is as good as a sack. I'm in that boat but are we getting enough pressures? I'm not so sure about that. I don't see opposing QBs get knocked down as much as Schaub does.
Old 10-19-2009   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Granted I have not watched out DEs on every play, but the times I look at them I see them making swimming moves deep into the backfield. Do any of them ever spin to the inside?
Old 10-19-2009   #11
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 91318 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

The most telling part of that set of data is the rushing yards allowed:

OAK = 45
ARI = 45
CIN = 46

They actually gave up more yards in the air against ARI and CIN than they had all year except the opening NYJ game, but they have completely stifled in the run department.

Compare that to giving up 205 yards a game over the first three games, and it has been an amazing turnaround.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #12
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess this exlains why Mario hasn't been dominating\sacks.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5709

(on how far is Mario, percentage-wise, from being healthy) "I don't know. He's close. I hate to put a number on it. I just know that it's been bothering him and it can be an any given day deal. One day it'll bother him pretty good, flare up on him. Next day, he's okay. We're keeping him out of contact in practice. He actually didn't even practice a couple of days but he's handled that. He's playing hurt for his team right now, but if he can continue to get through these games okay, he'll be fine."

(on how that affects the way you pass rush) "It depends on what happens on that particular play. Which way the protection is turned…whether he's trying to beat a double team…what type of move he's trying—it probably would change every play."

Given the Texans history with explaining injuries, I can only interpret this as "Mario's arm is about to fall off".
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Not only him but Busing as well. We have to remember that our defense got a huge jump with the addition of Pollard and Quin as well as the return of Reeves. Then we've got to consider the fact that the Cushlash absolutely transformed things and he needed a little bit of time to get his feet wet (first 3 games). I'm not seeing teams move the ball at will anymore. Never did. Even through preseason. Just the BIG play.

I don't know if I want to bring on the Colts but the Texans defense really has done VERY well all year. Just the big play haunted us and it takes a little bit to gel. We had to figure out how to fine tune that. I think we've got it now. The Colts will test our secondary but I really liked what I saw in the second half against Arizona. Adjustments were made. I even saw adjustments against the Titans and Jaguars but the 'Zona game was the one where adjustments clicked bigtime. We shut them down in the second half. Adjustments have been made for 5 games straight and they've gotten better each time despite our losses. That reeks of the beginnings of consistency to me.

I'm really excited right now. Houston, we finally have a competitive football team.
I agree. Other that that early game when a WR was left completed uncovered, our most emabrassing plays involved slashing runs right thru our middle and some for TDs. Hopefully this change with the shutdown of Bensen. I not overly optimistic but it was a adjustment that worked at least for one game.
Old 10-20-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this D has looked pretty darn consistent over all in the last 3 weeks. Different types of offenses and very similar results.

You don't see the line reeking havoc but they are providing consistent pressure. It's not getting numbers in sacks etc but they are very consistent against the run and against the pass it's been good enough to at least keep coverage from breaking down. The QB's are having to throw on schedule or early. It's having an effect.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year no one thought the Broncos would ever aspire to more than a mid to low teen type defense. If that.

This year they are clearly #1.

Players with the right scheme can really shine. Theres no reason our Texans defense couldn't be ranked in the top 10 or top 5 with the right coaching. We're on our way right now
Old 10-20-2009   #16
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30675 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

So close to being an elite team. So very, very close...
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Not sure if you have noticed or not but busing I think has made just about every tackle on special teams the last two/three weeks.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
Not sure if you have noticed or not but busing I think has made just about every tackle on special teams the last two/three weeks.
LOL, yeah. Good on him.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read