Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2009   #1
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Move Dunta to safety?

Does anyone else agree that with Dunta's skill set he might be better suited at safety? He is a hard hitter and a strong tackler but lacks a little in coverage. If someone else could step up and do a decent job at cb, it seems like he could potentially have some success at safety. On the other hand, maybe he is a little too far along in his career to make a successful switch.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #2
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Move Dunta to safety?

he's to small. he would kill himself. plus who would play his spot? he also makes to much money to be a safety.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This has been touched on too many times by now.

Dunta won't be moved to safety because (1)his frame is too small to hold up to the beating and (2) CB make more money than safeties.

That said, if we're moving any of our CB's to safety, it will be Glover Quin. He hits like a safety, has below average speed, and has great instincts. As such, he was scouted as a S by many teams before the draft. Assuming we can replace him with someone at CB, I think he's a great candidate to replace Wilson at FS.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This has been touched on too many times by now.

Dunta won't be moved to safety because (1)his frame is too small to hold up to the beating and (2) CB make more money than safeties.

That said, if we're moving any of our CB's to safety, it will be Glover Quin. He hits like a safety, has below average speed, and has great instincts. As such, he was scouted as a S by many teams before the draft. Assuming we can replace him with someone at CB, I think he's a great candidate to replace Wilson at FS.
Agreed!
Old 10-19-2009   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Glover Quin is actually third on our team in tackles. Incredibly impressive for a rookie CB that wasn't in the lineup all the team until recently. He probably would make a fine S but I love the physicality that he brings at CB and wouldn't want to give that up with a move to safety. Glover has really blown up some screens lately that we just didn't have an answer for early in the season. Let him work on his coverage skills (he was the Champ Bailey of OTAs, heh) and find another safety somewhere else.
Old 10-19-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta would cry like a baby if he was moved to safety. There is no way he would except it.
Old 10-19-2009   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Dunta would cry like a baby if he was moved to safety. There is no way he would except it.
Oh, I am pretty sure he would take exception.
Old 10-19-2009   #8
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP

I for one have been pleased with the play of Eugene Wilson. Moving Dunta for a year isnt worth it IMO
Old 10-20-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoulda happened when he came back.

Shoulda....but didna.....

Quin is obviously making a huge case for a S role. If he can duplicate his tackling at CB while continuing to improve his coverage I don't see how he isn't the starting FS 2010
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Is it just me, or is Dunta not making a very good argument for a long term deal..... with any team?

I can count maybe 3 plays that he made..... and several blown coverages.

Quote:
Dunta takes blame

After the game, coach Gary Kubiak said cornerback Dunta Robinson is playing as well as he ever has.

But Robinson took the blame for a long completion that set up a touchdown at the end of the first half.

Quarterback Carson Palmer threw a 50-yard pass to Chad Ochocinco for a first down at the Texans' 8.

“That was on me,” Robinson said. “They had a good play called for our coverage, but I should have stopped it. Chad made a great catch on that one.”
I honestly don't see him with this team next year.
Old 10-20-2009   #11
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is it just me, or is Dunta not making a very good argument for a long term deal..... with any team?

I can count maybe 3 plays that he made..... and several blown coverages.

I honestly don't see him with this team next year.
Even if Dunta were playing well, I don't see him on this team next year. If he were playing well, he would go get his money some where else and rub it is Rick Smith's face.

I don't think he is playing great, but he is playing better than average. He'll be making good money somewhere next year, but I don't think it will be close to what he would have made if he accepted the offer Smtih gave.

Look at Reeves. He signed a pretty big deal here after playing horrendous (by all accounts from Cowboy fans). Decent CB are in demand in this league.

I don't think we can afford to franchise Dunta next year b/c his production isn't close to what we are paying for him, however, I think we are going to miss him - I hate to say - because we don't have a replacement for him.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the problem with moving Quinn to FS. Dunta should be gone next year and that means drafting a CB to start. Could happen but the best CBs will not be available when we draft. I think a trade for Asomugha and DT Gerrard Warren 6'4" 330 31yoa for DR, Okoye and Barwin would resolve 3 issues. Gives us the best CB in NFL opposite Reeves. Allows Quinn to start at FS and gives us a beast to stop the run. If we could pick up Shaun Rodgers DT also, whooeee! I have running back Toby Gerhardt (rated 3rd best RB by NFLdraftscout.com) in 2nd round on my board but would consider drafting him in first if we have a later pick in first than I antcipate at the moment. 6'1" 235 4.55
Old 10-20-2009   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have running back Toby Gerhardt (rated 3rd best RB by NFLdraftscout.com) in 2nd round on my board but would consider drafting him in first if we have a later pick in first than I antcipate at the moment. 6'1" 235 4.55
Score! I have another guy on the bandwagon! Get on people.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Score! I have another guy on the bandwagon! Get on people.
Do you agree he will move into first round if he does well @ combine or will he level in 2nd? Originally had him on my board in 3rd but the more I research this guy is gonna move up. I do not see this draft shaping up deep with bigger backs. Please share any info such as weaknesses if you will.
Old 10-20-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Here is the problem with moving Quinn to FS. Dunta should be gone next year and that means drafting a CB to start. Could happen but the best CBs will not be available when we draft.
I fully expect another 3rd/4th round CB with more physical attributes than mental. The secondary surely gets weaker without DRob but I think it's a little more managable than needing a 1st round CB.

I think one thing we agree on is that Quin has played himself onto the field. AND he doesn't look like he's about to give it up. I'm happy knowing the best players are playing.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta has lost a step not his intincts which is why people continue to suggest a move to Safety.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Dunta has lost a step not his intincts which is why people continue to suggest a move to Safety.
I'm not sure he has lost a step at all. He stride for stride matched OchoStinko on many occasions.
Old 10-20-2009   #18
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

A little help here everyone. I'm a huge Texans fan living in the Metroplex and I try to keep up with the lineup changes the best I can. Since this thread mentioned Quin, that led to several questions I've had, and I apologize if they sound too simple.

1) I hear a lot of talk about Quin. I know he doesn't start, but when does he come in and for whom, and how much is he on the field each game?

2) Is Zgonina starting, or is Cody?

3) Also, did Caldwell see the field at all last Sunday? If not, why not?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. As you all probably know, the Texans get no coverage up here, and the only way for me to keep up with things is online. Thanks again.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm not sure he has lost a step at all. He stride for stride matched OchoStinko on many occasions.
Ocho was able to pull away from Dunta in most match-ups. His catch & spin was tremedous & ability to create space a problem for Dunta all game (5-103).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Ocho was able to pull away from Dunta in most match-ups. His catch & spin was tremedous & ability to create space a problem for Dunta all game (5-103).
Well but short space movement is another issue. I didn't note him pulling away with pure speed, he was creating in short space. Dunta has never had say Aaron Glenn's short space game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read