Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2009   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith go get a CB before tuesday!!!!

With this team showing some signs of coming together it sure would be nice to go get a solid CB from a team that's parting out like the Raiders. Trade Dunta and a pick from next year and it's killing two birds with one stone.

Dunta's got go. I used to be his biggest fan, but if he expects any more money than what Reeves gets he's crazy!

A solid CB via trade, and a top tier Safety next year, and we could have something special.
Old 10-18-2009   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith go get a CB before tuesday!!!!

I would be more in favor of a trade for a D-Lineman.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #3
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I would be more in favor of a trade for a D-Lineman.
Me too, I just don't there is anything out there besides what we have already on crappy teams. No real space eaters out there.
Old 10-18-2009   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't disagree with trading for Nnamdi, but I'm curious why you suddenly think D-Rob has to go? Other than the drive sustaining penalty he played well. He even had a hell of a play where he saved a TD on the one long reception to Caldwell(?), where he saw whoever was covering the middle of the field blow their assignment and came racing from 15 yards behind the receiver to make the shoe string tackle.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Praising a cornerback for his good tackling is so misguided imo.

Dunta was horrible in coverage today. He gave up receptions almost every time the ball was thrown at him. Sure he tackles the guy quickly, but thats kind of like closing the gate after the cows have already left the pasture
Old 10-18-2009   #6
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I highly disagree with trading our picks in this years draft. Would much rather trade a 2011 draft pick to add some picks in this upcoming draft, it's going to be one of the deepest in a long time.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd trade DR and next year's #1 for Asomugha in a heart beat.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2009   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

yes.
Old 10-18-2009   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta is going to net us a 3rd round pick in the offseason. No reason to trade him now.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I don't disagree with trading for Nnamdi, but I'm curious why you suddenly think D-Rob has to go? Other than the drive sustaining penalty he played well. He even had a hell of a play where he saved a TD on the one long reception to Caldwell(?), where he saw whoever was covering the middle of the field blow their assignment and came racing from 15 yards behind the receiver to make the shoe string tackle.
Nnamdi is a corner you build around in the secondary, IMO.

I would trade our 1st rounder for the guy. And Al Davis would go for it because he'd be looking at having two first rounders, which still isn't going to solve that team's problems.

The guy is an established, smart, and talented cornerback. The odds of hitting on one of those in the draft (in ANY round) are so slim, IMO. You put that guy in at corner, with our linebackers, and Pollard providing coma-inducing hits at the safety position, and we become a better defense instantly.

There is a valid argument that you go after a DT somehow, instead of a secondary player. Getting a better interior push might just make everyone a lot better.

I was not thrilled with Dunta's cover skills today. He looks good on the shallow and underneath stuff, but he is a liability on the long ball. Period. And the deep curl routes/comeback routes are eating him up too.
Old 10-18-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Dunta was horrible in coverage today. He gave up receptions almost every time the ball was thrown at him. Sure he tackles the guy quickly, but thats kind of like closing the gate after the cows have already left the pasture
THIS.

I agree 100%.
Old 10-18-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is starting to show signs of life , don't subtract from it .
Old 10-18-2009   #13
twotexanfans
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 twotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden cover

"Pay me Rick" is horrible. I hope he invests the 10 milli (he stole) wisely!
twotexanfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'd trade DR and next year's #1 for Asomugha in a heart beat.
I'd go along with that.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Good post...looks like you are one of very few in here who actually watch the game.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The defense is starting to show signs of life , don't subtract from it .
I hardly think going after the Raiders' best cornerback would be a bad thing.

Just my opinion, but I think the guy ADDS more than any other member of the secondary could ever dream of adding.

It's the difference between holding your breath on deep passes and feeling like things are probably going to be OK once the ball comes down out of the air.

And that's not even talking about all the other routes that receivers are running and gobbling up against our secondary.

And the run tackling issues by our secondary. Quin excluded, because he's shown that he's a good tackler so far.

Adding a quality DB could mean as much as having added Cushing to this team. It has potential.

Then again, getting a productive DT might make the whole dang defense get better.

WHo cares, though. We ain't making a free agent move this year.
Old 10-18-2009   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
With this team showing some signs of coming together it sure would be nice to go get a solid CB from a team that's parting out like the Raiders. Trade Dunta and a pick from next year and it's killing two birds with one stone.

Dunta's got go. I used to be his biggest fan, but if he expects any more money than what Reeves gets he's crazy!

A solid CB via trade, and a top tier Safety next year, and we could have something special.
Why would another team see any value in trading a better player for Dunta? Dunta would be viewed as negative value (as in - "If you want us to take Dunta to, then you'll have to throw in your 5th round pick to get us to do that). Even most of those who don't detest Dunta (like me) acknowledge that he's significantly overpaid (for what may or may not be valid reasons on the part of the Texans). Even if it's somebody like Asomugah, the team trading a CB would be paying more salary for less talent (or if it's not less, it doesn't meet the criteria you've put forth), and they'll have zero to show for it after this season (unless they choose to franchise Dunta which isn't worth even discussing).

Anyone trading away a proven player will be looking for young, cheap players with potential that they can control for a few years, or just salary relief. For virtually everybody in that situation, they'd be further away from that goal after trading for Dunta than they are right now.
Old 10-18-2009   #18
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Dunta is going to net us a 3rd round pick in the offseason. No reason to trade him now.
Dunta is a FA in the offseason. No way to trade him then. No point in trading him now either. Why would you want to start over in teaching a new CB this system mid-season?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I praised him for a TD saving tackle on somebody else's mistake. Most corners watch the guy walk in for a TD while throwing their hands in the air, pointing fingers and making sure everybody knows "It's not on me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Nnamdi is a corner you build around in the secondary, IMO.

I would trade our 1st rounder for the guy. And Al Davis would go for it because he'd be looking at having two first rounders, which still isn't going to solve that team's problems.

The guy is an established, smart, and talented cornerback. The odds of hitting on one of those in the draft (in ANY round) are so slim, IMO. You put that guy in at corner, with our linebackers, and Pollard providing coma-inducing hits at the safety position, and we become a better defense instantly.
Like I said, no problem at all trading for Aso.

Quote:
I was not thrilled with Dunta's cover skills today. He looks good on the shallow and underneath stuff, but he is a liability on the long ball. Period. And the deep curl routes/comeback routes are eating him up too.
I thought he played pretty solid. Not like a $10 mil a year franchise corner, but certainly not badly, or even worth complaining about. Every corner in the league not named Asomugha gets beat 2-5 times a game. Even elite guys like Baily and Revis.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that Dunta played a hell of a game today, probably one of his best. He's finally hitting like he used to (thinking of the one hit on Caldwell before the half), but he's also doing progressively better in coverage. He was blanketing his receiver for most of the day, and I'll take the PI call on him 10 times out of 10, I think he got the bad end of it.

That being said, if you have the opportunity to trade him and a first for Aso, I think you have to do it. You'd have to hope that the CBA falls through, because Aso's contract is suffocating, but he's the kind of talent that is a changer on a defense. I think he'd instantly make us legitimate contenders to go deep into the playoffs.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read