Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Glenn Martinez

Very versatile. So far he has appeared in 3 games. However, I believe it was mostlyly ST's with only a handful of WR appearances. He has no receiver stats. If we go on an all out aerial attack, we could see more of him. He also has the ability to spell JJ on PR if need be.

Glenn Martinez's versatility helps earn spot on Houston Texans roster

Quote:
Glenn Martinez moved from father’s offense to son’s offense during the offseason, and so far the transition has been smooth.
Martinez, the former Saginaw Valley State standout receiver, is with the Houston Texans after spending the previous two seasons with the Denver Broncos. There, he’s playing in an offense run by Kyle Shanahan, the son of Mike Shanahan, who coached the Broncos until the end of last season.

That’s made the transition to Martinez’s third NFL team in four years the easiest yet.

“Kyle Shanahan runs a similar offense to his father Mike Shanahan I was under in Denver,” Martinez said. “(Texans head coach) Gary Kubiak and a lot of the coaching staff on the Houston Texans came from that Denver era. It was an easy transition to come here.

“It’s a breath of fresh air to come out here and know the system a little bit.”

Martinez still holds SVSU’s records for single-season receiving yards (1,130) and single-game yards (234), both set in 2003. His 2,663 career yards is fourth on the school’s all-time list. He is one of three former SVSU players on an active NFL roster, along with Todd Herremans (OL, Philadelphia Eagles) and Ruvell Martin (WR, St. Louis Rams).

Since leaving SVSU in 2004, his football career led Martinez all over the map, starting with a stint with NFL Europe in 2005 before landing with the Detroit Lions for two years, from 2005 until 2006.

From there he jumped to Denver in 2007, when he enjoyed the most productive season of his career: 12 games as the team’s primary punt returner — which included an 80-yard return for a touchdown — and 14 receptions for 175 yards.

The Broncos released Martinez late 2008, and he signed with the Texans on January 5. Heading into camp in August, Martinez was considered somewhat of a long shot to make the roster. But after a productive camp that included two catches for 35 yards in the team’s final preseason game, Martinez made the final cut.

Kubiak said on the day of final roster cuts that Martinez’s versatility on special teams was a large factor in him making the roster.

“I’m a utility guy,” Martinez said. “I know all the positions, and if anybody needs a break, or if I need to get in for anybody, I know all the positions. So I can go in and I can feel confident.”

So far this year, Martinez has appeared in three games, recording 3.5 tackles on special teams and is active for the Texans’ game against the Bengals today. He’s lined up at wide receiver a few times, and is working to get more time in the offense. But until then, he’s happy in his role as a special teams utility player

“So far so good,” Martinez said of his time in Houston. “I’ve been blessed to have the opportunity to work with these guys, and play here in Houston. The city’s great, the organization’s a great organization.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #2
qman_tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 80 qman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glenn Martinez

He really has been contributing to ST. His biggest game was againist the Titans. He made several tackles on ST and made a block that helped Matt throw a 72 yard pass to Dre...
qman_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Martinez has definitely been showing up on ST. It seems they call his name on almost every ST play. Good pick up for the team.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So far this year, Martinez has appeared in three games, recording 3.5 tackles on special teams and is active for the Texans’ game against the Bengals today.
Nope.

CND, is there a link for this article?
Old 10-18-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Nope.

CND, is there a link for this article?
I caught that, too. He's actually inactive today.

Sorry, I accidentally left the link out.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to upset his rabid fan club, but David Anderson's contributions on 3rd down seem to be outweighed by Martinez's special teams ability and versatility. I still don't get the David Anderson love, especially from Kubiak.
Old 10-18-2009   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not to upset his rabid fan club, but David Anderson's contributions on 3rd down seem to be outweighed by Martinez's special teams ability and versatility. I still don't get the David Anderson love, especially from Kubiak.
I haven't seen him drop too many passes thrown his way. I tried to look at NFL.com to see if they would state how many passes were thrown to Anderson but it doesn't state that. Just receptions.

We also like his intensity. He's good for the locker room.

As for the inactives... I'm glad to see Roy Williams and Brian Leonard on the inactives list.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read