Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2009   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Okam to start in place of Cody

OK, big Frank. This is your chance to prove yourself.

Frank Okam is a guy who I would like to see finally play up to his full potential and make this position his own for years to come. On paper, he looks like a prototype NT.

Maybe the Frank Okam era starts tomorrow. I will be watching closely with a sense of hopeful optimism.

Quote:
Texans' Okam to start in place of Cody

Frank Okam, who has been inactive for the last three games, will start at defensive tackle on Sunday when the Texans play Cincinnati at Paul Brown Stadium.

Shaun Cody, the starter at left defensive tackle, is out with the flu. He missed three practices last week.

Because Cincinnati running back Cedric Benson leads the NFL in rushing and gains a lot of yardage between the tackles, the 6-5, 338-pound Okam will play on the nose on running downs next to right tackle Amobi Okoye.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #2
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam to start in place of Cody

Yes, sometimes players will seize the chance once it's given to them (see Miles Austin with the Cowboys last week). I haven't seen much out of Okam to make me think he's one of those players, but I hope he changes my mind tomorrow! If nothing else, this should give us a good idea of whether he is going to be a long-term contributor or yet another DT draft failure for us.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if its extra motivation going against former Longhorn Benson
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh oh.

I love Big Frank, but uh oh.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Yes, sometimes players will seize the chance once it's given to them (see Miles Austin with the Cowboys last week). I haven't seen much out of Okam to make me think he's one of those players, but I hope he changes my mind tomorrow! If nothing else, this should give us a good idea of whether he is going to be a long-term contributor or yet another DT draft failure for us.
5th rounders are not unexpected failures. it would be disappointing as he does seem to have the body, just not the desire.
Old 10-17-2009   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Uh oh.

I love Big Frank, but uh oh.
Yup. That's exactly right. Uh-oh.

Wasn't Okam playing when those holes were gashed for big runs back in preseason as well as the Jets/Titans? Is that why he went inactive?
Old 10-17-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Yup. That's exactly right. Uh-oh.

Wasn't Okam playing when those holes were gashed for big runs back in preseason as well as the Jets/Titans? Is that why he went inactive?
I'm not sure, but the fact that 83 year old Jeff Zgonina is active every week and Okam is not should tell us all we need to know about how much confidence the Texans have in Okam right now.

Sure, he'll look good on a couple of plays here and there, but he's wildly inconsistent and gets gassed in a way I would expect from a dude his size.

I guess DelJuan is still hurting if he's not starting at this position ahead of Okam?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2009   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

In terms of attitude, Big Frank is no John Henderson.

He's more like Big Tim from Malcolm and Eddie.

"Helloooo"

lol

Clip
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We need Okam to be a beast and take the starting NT job. It would be great if he decides tomorrow that the Okam era has begun against starters instead of just preseason backups.
Old 10-17-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Against the Bengals, I predict that Okam at least matches his season tackle total.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Against the Bengals, I predict that Okam at least matches his season tackle total.
I'll raise ya, and say he'll DOUBLE it.

Old 10-17-2009   #12
threeputtsam
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam

Okam sucks
threeputtsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputtsam View Post
Okam sucks
That was not very nice. I hope you will be willing to apologize to Big Frank here on this board if he plays well tomorrow.

MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #14
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 74437 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather Okam replace Myers.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #15
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 51471 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'd rather have my aunt who weighs about 3 bills replace Myers, she couldn't do any worse.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Goal line power running back.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember that some internet scribe in an '08 draft recap wrote that the Texans planned to move Okam to the offensive line. He was mistaken, but maybe that's not such a bad idea. He doesn't seem to have the defensive mentality.
Old 10-18-2009   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I remember that some internet scribe in an '08 draft recap wrote that the Texans planned to move Okam to the offensive line. He was mistaken, but maybe that's not such a bad idea. He doesn't seem to have the defensive mentality.
Okam is not a good enough technician to move to the O-line. It's a
whole 'nother ballgame.
Old 10-18-2009   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Okam is not a good enough technician to move to the O-line. It's a
whole 'nother ballgame.
But it does take a lot of 'smarts' to play on the offensive line. My understanding is that Okam's a very bright person. I kinda like the idea. He won't get gassed as much but he'll never be a ZBS lineman. Too much running involved. Maybe if he was on the Cowgirls or a team with a big, power offensive line.
Old 10-18-2009   #20
threeputtsam
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
That was not very nice. I hope you will be willing to apologize to Big Frank here on this board if he plays well tomorrow.

I'll be more than happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but for the first 8 years of this franchise, the players, coaches, and front office should be apoligizing to me and all the fans.
threeputtsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read