Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-15-2009   #1
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bills Fan lets his team know he's not happy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—It didn’t take long for Ryan Abshagen to discover how many Buffalo Bills fans are unhappy with their team and want owner Ralph Wilson to make sweeping changes.

In a little more than a week, Abshagen, an unemployed 18-year-old from New Freedom, Pa., raised enough money—$1,402 and counting as of Wednesday— through an Internet campaign to rent a billboard and advertise a message of discontent for everyone in Buffalo to see.

“I honestly never thought it would ever be this big,” Abshagen said. “Fans are disgruntled. It’s out there. It’s big. People are going to hear about it.”

Starting early Monday and running for a week, the message will be flashed up to 3,000 times a day on a digital billboard overlooking Interstate 190 on the south side of the city, said Abshagen after signing a contract with an advertising company.

The display will feature a message that reads, “It’s time to clean house, RALPH,” referring to Wilson. Next to that will be a checklist of three names: Jauron; the team’s chief college scout Tom Modrak; and vice president of pro personnel John Guy.

The level of fan frustration in Buffalo has been evident since the Bills missed the playoffs for a ninth straight season with their third consecutive 7-9 finish a year ago. It’s reached a boiling point again with Buffalo at 1-4 and coming off an ugly 6-3 loss to Cleveland on Sunday.

Bills fans showed their displeasure by booing the team numerous times during a game in which the team’s offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in three weeks. Some fans were spotted wearing paper bags on their heads, while one group stood up to display matching white T-shirts with letters on them that spelled: “FIRE DICK NOW!”

Jauron, in his fourth season, is on the hot seat for the team’s dreadful start. Modrak and Guy are being blamed for failing to build a competitive roster.

The Bills declined comment when asked about the billboard.

Jauron has declined to discuss his status, but has previously acknowledged the criticism.

Bills punter Brian Moorman(notes) rallied to Jauron’s support when informed of the billboard.

“It doesn’t discourage me because I know there’s a lot more people out there that wouldn’t do something like that. But it is a free country,” Moorman said. “The important thing is that inside these walls, (Jauron) has our support. We believe in him.”

Abshagen said he first proposed the billboard idea on a Bills fan message board following the team’s 38-10 loss at Miami on Oct. 4.

A few days later, he designed a web site and began seeking donations. Abshagen said the site attracted little attention until several media outlets mentioned the campaign in stories, particularly after the loss to the Browns.

“That was the one that tilted the scales,” he said. “That was embarrassing.”

The response was so overwhelming that Abshagen said he raised the necessary $1,125 to rent the billboard for a week by Tuesday night. He’s now begun a second campaign to raise another $1,125 to extend the rental for one more week or rent a second billboard.

Any leftover money, he said, will be donated to charity.

“We don’t hate anybody,” Abshagen said, when asked about how the message might be interpreted. “The donors and myself included, we don’t mean any harm or wish to insult anyone. We simply just want to get our voice out as fans.”

And he doesn’t think it’ll make any difference among fans should the Bills win on Sunday when they travel to play the New York Jets.

“I think the fans are fed up enough that it won’t even have an effect,” Abshagen said. “We are in too deep at this point.”
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bills Fan lets his team know he's not happy

Okay.... don't y'all go gettin' any ideas. Y'all need to save that money to buy my expensive beers
...errr... I mean Gary and Rick are doing a fine, fine job.

signed, Bob McNair

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Buffalo's gonna move.

Be such a shame if that happens.
Old 10-15-2009   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Okay.... don't y'all go gettin' any ideas. Y'all need to save that money to buy my expensive beers

signed, Bob McNair

If we wait long enough, that Furniture dude will play adds on TV, run adds in the papers, & rent a big bill board like he did when he wanted VY...

Or maybe he'll wait to see how things shake out before putting his foot in his mouth again.
Old 10-15-2009   #5
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I read this earlier today...not sure if this is a coincidence or what but raider fans got together and were thinking of doing this about a week ago, buying a billboard near the stadium as well. Unfortunately the owner of RF.net took the thread down, but we got the basics down. Movement to get this project going has gone on to raideroutlawz.com

http://www.messagetoal.com/ Thats the site...I'm surprised people actual are trying to go through with it...just makes it that much more sad though that fans have to go to these lengths to get some positive changes to occur.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

billboards are cheaper than i thought
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

They'd be better off, if they didn't buy the beer at the game.
Old 10-15-2009   #8
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69048 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They'd be better off, if they didn't buy the beer at the game.
Beer is what gets Bills fans through games. Trust me as someone that's been there and watched what they had to put up with on Sunday.

The Browns/Bills game was one of the absolute worst games I have ever watched - both teams looked like amateur-hour out there, and there isn't a Bills fan alive that still supports Juaron. Add the Toronto situation, where many feel the team is quietly being snuck out of town, and then add in a terrible recession that has hit Western NY harder than many areas, and you have a bad mix. (Downtown Buffalo is almost as deserted as Detroit)

Other than Lion fans, no team's fans have faced more adversity than Bills fans - and they've been fiercely loyal, stuffing the stadium anyways. If I didn't hate the Bills so much for the hell they inflicted on my life in the early 90s, I'd actually feel sorry for them.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

signed, Bob McNair

LOL

I think you're on to something here.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, I wouldn't worry if I was a Bills fan. I mean, their season will turn around for the better come November 1st, if not sooner.
Old 10-16-2009   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I think Buffalo's gonna move.

Be such a shame if that happens.
Where would they be moving to ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #12
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69048 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Where would they be moving to ?
Toronto, and no, not saying that because I want it. The wheels are WELL into motion on this.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #13
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

They are playing the Jets in Toronto this year. I think the Bills could move before the Jags. It's a matter of Wilson passing IMO.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read