Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-14-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Glenn Dorsey on the trade block

Should we ake a look?

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/10/...-glenn-dorsey/

Report: Chiefs down on Glenn Dorsey

Posted by Anthony Stalter (10/14/2009 @ 11:05 am)

According to NFL.comís Jason La Canfora, the Chiefs are already down on former first round pick Glenn Dorsey and are willing to trade him. La Canfora writes that the new coaching staff isnít high on Dorsey and that the salary cap ramifications wouldnít be a deterrent in dealing him before the October 20 deadline.

This isnít shocking news considering that Dorsey isnít a fit for the Chiefsí new 3-4 defensive front. He excels at shooting the gaps as a 4-3 tackle, which is what he played at LSU. He isnít big enough to play nose in a 3-4, and his pass-rush talents are wasted as an end in a 3-4.

If the report is true and the Chiefs do plan to trade him, one team that could be interested in Dorsey is the Falcons. They were reportedly deciding between Dorsey and Matt Ryan in last yearís draft and there was also a rumor that the Falcons were interested in trading for the D-tackle before this yearís draft.

The Falcons addressed their defensive tackle need in April with the selection of first round pick Peria Jerry. But he suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2 and the Falcons could use an interior pass-rusher to go along with Jonathan Babineaux. Once Jerry is healthy, the Falcons could have a fantastic defensive tackle rotation in Babineaux, Jerry and Dorsey (assuming they trade for Dorsey).

But would it be worth it for the Falcons to part with draft picks next year to acquire Drosey? Again, theyíve already addressed the need with Jerry, who will return to health next year (hopefully) and they also donít have a second round pick in 2010 because of the trade for Tony Gonzalez. I doubt the Chiefs would part with Dorsey for a third rounder, so would the Falcons part with a first rounder? Itís doubtful.

Man I wonder if they would take a second rounder for him?
Old 10-14-2009   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glenn Dorsey on the trade block

Saw it on NFL.com, depending on what kind of trade they're suggesting we should take a look?

Do I remember correctly that he has a pretty heavy contract one would have to pick up in a trade?
Old 10-14-2009   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Should we ake a look?

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/10/...-glenn-dorsey/

Report: Chiefs down on Glenn Dorsey

Posted by Anthony Stalter (10/14/2009 @ 11:05 am)

According to NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora, the Chiefs are already down on former first round pick Glenn Dorsey and are willing to trade him. La Canfora writes that the new coaching staff isn’t high on Dorsey and that the salary cap ramifications wouldn’t be a deterrent in dealing him before the October 20 deadline.

This isn’t shocking news considering that Dorsey isn’t a fit for the Chiefs’ new 3-4 defensive front. He excels at shooting the gaps as a 4-3 tackle, which is what he played at LSU. He isn’t big enough to play nose in a 3-4, and his pass-rush talents are wasted as an end in a 3-4.

If the report is true and the Chiefs do plan to trade him, one team that could be interested in Dorsey is the Falcons. They were reportedly deciding between Dorsey and Matt Ryan in last year’s draft and there was also a rumor that the Falcons were interested in trading for the D-tackle before this year’s draft.

The Falcons addressed their defensive tackle need in April with the selection of first round pick Peria Jerry. But he suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2 and the Falcons could use an interior pass-rusher to go along with Jonathan Babineaux. Once Jerry is healthy, the Falcons could have a fantastic defensive tackle rotation in Babineaux, Jerry and Dorsey (assuming they trade for Dorsey).

But would it be worth it for the Falcons to part with draft picks next year to acquire Drosey? Again, they’ve already addressed the need with Jerry, who will return to health next year (hopefully) and they also don’t have a second round pick in 2010 because of the trade for Tony Gonzalez. I doubt the Chiefs would part with Dorsey for a third rounder, so would the Falcons part with a first rounder? It’s doubtful.

Man I wonder if they would take a second rounder for him?
Interesting. Dorsey looked like a for sure stud to me coming out of college. He looked like a can't miss type of player. I don't know if I'd want to reach with any of our draft picks for a guy that even the Chiefs don't want. Plus, if Kubes isn't here next season we could possibly hire a coach that doesn't want to run a 4-3. Seems like bad timing to me as far as the Texans would be concerned.

Plus the guy's got an insane rookie contract.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems a bit redundant to have two underperforming 3-tech DT's and he doesn't address our need of a big space-eater in the middle. But, he does fit this regime's M.O. of athletic linemen.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Problem is that he's too big to play DT here.

Don't know or understand why. It just is.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

He's worth a first rounder.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

NFL forum imo.

We'd have the same problems with Dorsey that we have with Okoye and they play the same position. Plus, Okoye is starting to put together some consistent games. We dont need basically the same player taking reps from him and slowing down his growth process. We need a DT who can drop anchor and not give up ground at the LOS. Dorsey doesn't fit the bill.
Old 10-14-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
But, he does fit this regime's M.O. of athletic linemen.
Does anybody understand this philosophy? Where did it come from? Where has it been successful? Who's responsible for implementing it?

I'm seriously puzzled by it.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Interesting. Dorsey looked like a for sure stud to me coming out of college. He looked like a can't miss type of player. I don't know if I'd want to reach with any of our draft picks for a guy that even the Chiefs don't want. Plus, if Kubes isn't here next season we could possibly hire a coach that doesn't want to run a 4-3. Seems like bad timing to me as far as the Texans would be concerned.

Plus the guy's got an insane rookie contract.
I would think the old man would impose a no-trade sanction on Smith-Kubiak during this season given how shaky the teams doing in Kubiaks 4th season, especially for a deal for a player like Dorsey that's gonna involve some serious consideration in cash, draft picks, and/or players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I would think the old man would impose a no-trade sanction on Smith-Kubiak during this season given how shaky the teams doing in Kubiaks 4th season, especially for a deal for a player like Dorsey that's gonna involve some serious consideration in cash, draft picks, and/or players.
Yeah, I would think so as well. I hope so any way.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Does anybody understand this philosophy? Where did it come from? Where has it been successful? Who's responsible for implementing it?

From my understanding, it was popularized by the Tampa 2 defenses that values penetration and getting up field by the front four to be effective.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand it, I just think its really freakin stupid.
Old 10-14-2009   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its just been a bad situatoin from the beginning in KC. He wa injured alot his first year now he is coming along but having to play out of position and in the doghouse with a new coaching staff. If we could get him for a second round pick we would be crazy not to go after him. He was widely considered the best player in the draft when he came out.

Despite several injuries Dorsey made his average run tackle last season after a gain of just 1.5 yards, the best figure of any of the Chiefs' defensive linemen. Remember Mario didnt blow anyone away his first year either. We should be taking a long hard look at him if these rumors are true. Its not like he isnt an upgrade over what we have.
Old 10-14-2009   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just goes to further show that truly great DTs are almost impossible to scout. I read somewhere that more 1st round DTs turn out to be busts than any other position, including QB.

I'd be happy if we never drafted another DT in the 1st round.
Old 10-14-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Just goes to further show that truly great DTs are almost impossible to scout. I read somewhere that more 1st round DTs turn out to be busts than any other position, including QB.

It's a crazy failure rate.
Old 10-14-2009   #16
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Yep. I facepalm everytime I see another person on the board wanting ANOTHER 1st round tackle.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #17
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Would not give up more than a sixth. They know more than we do about him. My theory on Dline high draft choices is your in a coin flip on whether the guys got HEART and DESIRE and is going to turn into something or if the something he is going to turn into is Fat and Lazy. Dline you gotta have HEART and DESIRE. Really don't want to give up any draft choice for him. Money only is no problem
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Problem is that he's too big to play DT here.

Don't know or understand why. It just is.
He is 6'2" 295 range. I don't understand your comment.
Old 10-14-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
He's worth a first rounder.
Based on what?
Old 10-14-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
NFL forum imo.

We'd have the same problems with Dorsey that we have with Okoye and they play the same position. Plus, Okoye is starting to put together some consistent games. We dont need basically the same player taking reps from him and slowing down his growth process. We need a DT who can drop anchor and not give up ground at the LOS. Dorsey doesn't fit the bill.
There you go. Good Post

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read