Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chris Brown will still be the team's goal-line back.

I don't think Chris Brown is the problem with our running game. The fumble was unfortunate but him getting stuff on 4th down in ARI was the lines fault, did you see any room for him to get in there? I didn't.

Chris Brown has singlehandedly been responsible for not one, but TWO losses because he couldn't successfully convert a ONE YARD touchdown run.
And he's still on the team?

He would have been on a plane out of here seconds after that embarassing excuse for a run if I had been coach. I would have even cut him in madden

Chris Brown has singlehandedly been responsible for not one, but TWO losses because he couldn't successfully convert a ONE YARD touchdown run.

He would have been on a plane out of here seconds after that embarassing excuse for a run if I had been coach. I would have even cut him in madden

Unfair unfair, responsible for two of our losses? How about we blow out the Jags and not even let it come down to having to tie and go to OT? How about we call atleast 1 pass play on the goal line in ARI? Ridiculous to zero in on one guy and blame him. In fact, I hope Brown continues to get carries, he runs hard and runs upfield.

How about mentioning he won the Tennessee game by getting the last 1st down of the game?

Not only is he still on the team, but Kubes says he still has faith in him as the GL back. I just don't get it.

Why do we even have Chris Brown!?

All he does is costs us games and at best get a few yards.

I much rather have a Slaton/Moats combination.

Kubiak needs to realize that there is more to coaching than being a nice guy and blaming the losses on himself.

Go and make a statement, it seemed to help when he moved Bennet out of the starting lineup.

Kubiak needs to realize that there is more to coaching than being a nice guy and blaming the losses on himself.

Go and make a statement, it seemed to help when he moved Bennet out of the starting lineup.

Wait, I thought Kubiak needed to realize that Slaton wasn't getting the job done and Chris Brown should start? Now he needs to release the guy? Glad you're not the head coach of this team.

To be fair some of that is on the O Line. Not the fumble of course but the blocking on that play in the Cardinals game for sure was atrocious. I still don't believe him to be a good goal line back though.

So to me this says the coaching staff has an inability to find something else to work if that same situation presents itself again. Or out of stubborness they think they can fix the blocking issues of which they are getting ZERO push on top of losing another starting Guard. Just doesn't add up to me. :rake:

Put Moats in there maybe he can leap over the top like LT used to? Or like I have been saying REPEATEDLY, spread the defense out and create some space.

Coach Gary Kubiak says that Chris Brown will still be the team's goal-line back.
Brown couldn't convert a last second 4th-and-goal from the one-yard line in Sunday's 28-21 loss in Arizona, but Kubiak says that he "believes in Chris (Brown)." To his credit, he did convert in the same situation earlier in the contest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=154972

Unbelievable. :gun::dontknowa

Its like a tootsie pop.

How many stuffs does it take to put Chris Brown on the bench? 1 lick 2 lick 3 lick....... and counting.

Goodbye, Coach Kubiak. Too bad it didn't work out. You seemed like a great guy.

This was my feeling after hearing his comments about Brown on the radio today. I've not been on the "Fire Kubiak" bandwagon at all this far, but I think I'm about to grab me a pair of reins and saddle up.

Or Kubiak is intentionally putting this information out there for a big surprise the next time we're on the 1 or 2 with us needing a crucial TD.

He's going to line up Chris Brown, then bootleg Schaub on the fake to Brown.

That's pretty fishy, to me, that Kubiak makes this statement to the media.

I think he can't be THAT dumb to really think that we go with Chris Brown in that same situation again. So he uses it as a way to plant the idea in the head of a d-coord coming up on our schedule.

Kubiak cannot be THAT moronic. It's impossible to be THAT stupid. I hope.

Absurd. First of all, it's a team game, so there are very, very few times where any one player is singlehandedly to blame for anything. Second, Chris Brown converted a goal line TD in that game. He didn't convert the TD at the end because he was tackled by our O-line. If anything, either Chris Myers or Brisiel are more to blame than Chris Brown.

Who else do you want him to put back there.........Slaton??? The guy who got stuffed on 4th and 1 in the middle of the field..(a easier place to pick up a yard than the goal line).

In the order of goal line rushing problems it goes....

1.) OLINE!!!
2.) The back we decide to hand the ball off to.

I mean, maybe we can see what Moats can do around there, but Slaton is just as bad as Brown. We wouldn't even be talking about this though if Houston had the horses up front, they're the main problem. The fact that Kubiak went into this season with Myers as his starting center tells me he probably needs to go more than anything else.

Who else do you want him to put back there.........Slaton??? The guy who got stuffed on 4th and 1 in the middle of the field..(a easier place to pick up a yard than the goal line).

1.) OLINE!!!

I mean, maybe we can see what Moats can do around there, but Slaton is just as bad as Brown. We wouldn't even be talking about this though if Houston had the horses up front, they're the main problem. The fact that Kubiak went into this season with Myers as his starting center tells me he probably needs to go more than anything else.

Yea the O-line stinks at run blocking but Chris Brown sucked as a goal line back in Tennessee and they always have a good o-line. He definately doesnt help.

Coach Gary Kubiak says that Chris Brown will still be the team's goal-line back.
Brown couldn't convert a last second 4th-and-goal from the one-yard line in Sunday's 28-21 loss in Arizona, but Kubiak says that he "believes in Chris (Brown)." To his credit, he did convert in the same situation earlier in the contest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=154972

Unbelievable. :gun::dontknowa
And I believe in the toof fairy an Santy Claus and the guvment and that I'll find a true luv an my boss likes me and I'm cute and

Yea the O-line stinks at run blocking but Chris Brown sucked as a goal line back in Tennessee and they always have a good o-line. He definately doesnt help.

Chris Brown wasn't the goalline back in Tenn, he was inactive most of the time........when he was healthy (the little times he was healthy) they thought he was the future there. Lendale white has gotten all the goalline carries since he's been there and before him Travis Henry became their every down back with the surprising season he had with them.

I love how everyone concedes the fact that our Oline sucks in power rushing formations, but they expect our running backs to push piles, when the guys infront of them can't even push piles. If we're on the one yard line our backs are meeting contact on the 2 yard line.

Sorry, but this problem isn't going to get fixed until Kubiak fixes the problem up front. I hate to break this to y'all........but we had this same problem LONG before Chris Brown even was on the field, last year we had the same problem.

Last edited:
Wow! We suck at the run whether it's Capers or Kubiak. I'm reminded of the scene in Any Given Sunday where the owner is yelling at Tony about "you're always talking about the running game".

I hope the list comes out straight:

Code:
					Rushing						
Rk		       From   To	G	Att	Yds	TD	Lng	Y/A	Y/G	Fmb
1	Dom Williams	2003	2005	40	770	3195	23	51	4.1	79.9	10
2	Jonathan Wells	2002	2005	60	374	1167	10	37	3.1	19.5	5
3	Ron Dayne	2006	2007	24	345	1385	11	39	4	57.7	2
4	Steve Slaton	2008	2009	21	340	1513	10	71	4.5	72	7
5	David Carr	2002	2006	76	268	1235	8	36	4.6	16.3	68
6	James Allen	2002	2002	16	155	519	0	32	3.3	32.4	1
7	Ahman Green	2007	2008	14	144	554	5	18	3.8	39.6	0
8	Wali Lundy	2006	2006	14	124	476	4	35	3.8	34	1
9	Stacey Mack	2003	2003	8	93	253	4	13	2.7	31.6	2
10	Samkon Gado	2006	2007	11	72	263	2	34	3.7	23.9	2
11	Matt Schaub	2007	2009	27	62	139	2	12	2.2	5.1	18
12	Darius Walker	2007	2007	4	58	264	1	41	4.6	66	0
13	Vernand Morency	2005	2006	14	51	197	2	25	3.9	14.1	1
14	Tony Hollings	2003	2004	21	49	149	0	17	3	7.1	2
15	Chris Taylor	2006	2008	7	42	160	1	17	3.8	22.9	1
16	Ryan Moats	2008	2009	12	41	150	1	12	3.7	12.5	0
17	Sage Rosenfels	2006	2008	19	36	93	1	19	2.6	4.9	8
18	Chris Brown	2009	2009	4	23	61	1	12	2.7	15.3	1
19	Adimchinobe E.	2007	2007	7	20	85	0	20	4.3	12.1	1
20	Andre Johnson	2003	2006	61	18	26	0	18	1.4	0.4	3
21	Jameel Cook	2006	2007	27	11	42	0	14	3.8	1.6	2
22	Kevin Walter	2006	2009	51	11	66	0	13	6	1.3	1
23	Jarrod Baxter	2002	2004	24	9	15	0	6	1.7	0.6	0
24	Jabar Gaffney	2003	2005	48	9	56	0	13	6.2	1.2	1
25	Tony Banks	2003	2005	10	8	25	0	13	3.1	2.5	1
26	Dave Ragone	2003	2003	2	6	51	0	14	8.5	25.5	4
27	Chad Stanley	2002	2006	80	5	23	0	12	4.6	0.3	2
28	Jacoby Jones	2007	2008	30	4	-6	0	4	-1.5	-0.2	6
29	Corey Bradford	2002	2005	32	3	-13	0	0	-4.3	-0.4	0

Eh, I don't blame Brown for not be able to get in the end zone. I blame poor penetration by the o-line. I agree with Kubiak, he should be the goal line back for now.

Kubiak should have cut the guy. It would have sent a message to the players that this is a results-oriented business and that they need to start finishing games and playing 4 quarters or there will be hell to pay.

Remember when Jimmy Johnson cut the promising RB Curvin Richards because he fumbled a few times in a meaningless Week 17 game against Chicago. He cut him the next morning and the Cowboys never looked back. That team dominated and won a SuperBowl. JJ had sent his message and it was received loud and clear.

Wondering how soon we'll see something similar to the Pardee sideway headset.

Why Chris Brown in on this squad is beyond comprehension.

1.) OLINE!!!

That is true that the O line has been really poor, but so has Chris brown this entire season. The guy has had plenty of chances to punch it in at the GL, and has only gotten in one time if I'm not mistaken. It hasn't been the O line's fault on every single one of them. I agree that at end of the game the O line did give a weak push, but it was just another failed opportunity that Brown had.

My biggest problem with that play though wasn't the fact that Brown didn't get in or the O line either. It was the horrible play call at that moment. It was the last play that we were going to get, and we hadn't ran the ball well all afternoon. Our O line hadn't been getting any holes all game long and the only offense we had was through the passing game. Hell the play before that we would have converted but Schuab over threw his man. So if the running game wasn't successful all game long and you had just tried a running play two plays before that one, why try to run it up the gut on your last chance when you haven't ran the ball well all day long??? That just doesn't make sense to me. You're not running the ball well, and you give it to a guy that hasn't been successful running inside the 5 all year long on your last play of the game.

I think he should have given Schaub a chance to complete a pass or to spread the field with his WR's and try to run it in. We've converted most of our TD's in the RZ all year off of pass plays, not from rushing inside the 5. And if we were going to rush the ball, why not at least have some WR's out there on the edges to make it look like we might pass to have the defense guessing a little.

I would have spread the field with 4 or even 5 wides, and done a quick snap to Matt and let him try and sneak it in.

Weak play call and Brown isn't going to be a good goal line runner here because he runs too upright and that is not conducive when your line sucks and is a finesse line. You need a guy that can leap, or a sneaky shifty small guy that can try and sneak in low. One or the other.

This team is not going to get any better in the middle of the OL this season with both our starting OGs done for the season. I hope the coaching staff recognizes that they have a finesse offense and gameplans accordingly from now on. We have to be unorthodox...just look at how the Dolphins beat the Jets for an example using their strengths (Wildcat...get the ball in Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams' hands immediately).

We've gotta use our strengths: We have arguably the deepest roster of WRs/TEs combined in the NFL. No other team has as much playmaking ability in these 2 positions imo. Why dont we Spread the field with 3 WRs and OD/Dreesen or Slaton in short yardage situations...go singleback with 4 WRs and run it to let Slaton/Moats have a better chance of operating in space...work some wildcatish type RB direct snap plays to get it in the hands of the RB immediately in short yardage situations. Above all else KEEP YOUR BEST PLAYER ANDRE JOHNSON ON THE FIELD IN CRUCIAL SITUATIONS!!! They have to account for him even if there's a 99.9% chance we run defenses just cant lose track of # 80!!!

We cant lineup in a power I and blow teams off the LOS. We've proven that...so lets adapt accordingly.

Last edited:
This team is not going to get any better in the middle of the OL this season with both our starting OGs done for the season. I hope the coaching staff recognizes that they have a finesse offense and gameplans accordingly from now on. We have to be unorthodox...just look at how the Dolphins beat the Jets for an example. Spread the field with 5 WRs in short yardage situations...go singleback with 4 WRs and run it to let Slaton/Moats have a better chance of operating in space...work some wildcatish type RB direct snap plays to get it in the hands of the RB immediately in short yardage situations.

We cant lineup in a power I and blow teams off the LOS. We've proven that...so lets adapt accordingly.

Looking at the trend of Kubiak's calls. I wouldn't count on it.

I would have spread the field with 4 or even 5 wides, and done a quick snap to Matt and let him try and sneak it in.

Weak play call and Brown isn't going to be a good goal line runner here because he runs too upright and that is not conducive when your line sucks and is a finesse line. You need a guy that can leap, or a sneaky shifty small guy that can try and sneak in low. One or the other.

I agree. We did it against Miami last year and it turned our season around.

This team is not going to get any better in the middle of the OL this season with both our starting OGs done for the season. I hope the coaching staff recognizes that they have a finesse offense and gameplans accordingly from now on. We have to be unorthodox...just look at how the Dolphins beat the Jets for an example using their strengths (Wildcat...get the ball in Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams' hands immediately).

We've gotta use our strengths: We have arguably the deepest roster of WRs/TEs combined in the NFL. No other team has as much playmaking ability in these 2 positions imo. Why dont we Spread the field with 3 WRs and OD/Dreesen or Slaton in short yardage situations...go singleback with 4 WRs and run it to let Slaton/Moats have a better chance of operating in space...work some wildcatish type RB direct snap plays to get it in the hands of the RB immediately in short yardage situations. Above all else KEEP YOUR BEST PLAYER ANDRE JOHNSON ON THE FIELD IN CRUCIAL SITUATIONS!!! They have to account for him even if there's a 99.9% chance we run defenses just cant lose track of # 80!!!

Agreed

The middle of the OL on the decisive play was

Studdard 6th rd. pick Myers 6th rd. pick Breisel FA playing on a broken foot

Why was Breisel in the game playing with a broken foot and who had the bright idea to run behind a guy with a broken foot?

We just suck with schaub, and the O line. This team needs a big over haul starting with the coaches. Lets go and get some players for the O line and a franchise QB, schaub does not look like the franchise QB

I just read in today's Sporting News Today that Kubiak is not going to abandon the run despite its obvious failure and a 2.1 YPC average.

Source

/facepalm

We just suck with schaub, and the O line. This team needs a big over haul starting with the coaches. Lets go and get some players for the O line and a franchise QB, schaub does not look like the franchise QB

Yea its Schaubs fault the O-line cant run block. It's his fault our defense hasnt been very good this year. It's his fault the playcallers take the ball out of his hands when the game's on the line.

Schaub may have his faults he cant run very well, holds the ball too long sometimes, and underthrows his receivers once and awhile but he's deadly accurate and has proven he can lead us to wins in the clutch.

Build up the o-line and the defense were good at QB.

We are struggling to run the ball even when the defense doesn't know were going to run it so what do you expect when they know we're gonna run it and they stack the line? we were asking the impossible from Chris Brown on that play which is to force-push a pile of 20 people into the end zone by himself, y'all are nuts if you think he's the problem.

Kubiak should have cut the guy. It would have sent a message to the players that this is a results-oriented business and that they need to start finishing games and playing 4 quarters or there will be hell to pay.

Remember when Jimmy Johnson cut the promising RB Curvin Richards because he fumbled a few times in a meaningless Week 17 game against Chicago. He cut him the next morning and the Cowboys never looked back. That team dominated and won a SuperBowl. JJ had sent his message and it was received loud and clear.

My exact sentiments. But it'll never happen with this cream puff, aw shucks system the Texans have of operating.

Well ... you people just can't see the big picture . The Texans are short on linemen right now , so by keeping Brown as a short yardage back , Kubiak is insuring if one of the OL get hit in the back by Brown ... it won't injure him . :roast:

This just in ... Chris Brown has called the police to his residence because in an act of vandalism ... someone put a goal line in his yard and Chris can't get in .

Last edited:

Hard to make a statement when he's already lost Pitts for the season and has no better talent to plug in on the interior of the OL which is to blame for that particular play's failure - Defenders met Leach a yard deep in the backfield and it was all downhill from there.

Center and both Guard spots are pretty weak .... fix those with a couple guy's who have a sack and some sand in their pants and the running game is fixed.

That is true that the O line has been really poor, but so has Chris brown this entire season. The guy has had plenty of chances to punch it in at the GL, and has only gotten in one time if I'm not mistaken.

Just so I'm perfectly clear, how many times is "plenty of chances"?

Must be a Titan fan undercover. Everyone knows they need a good QB.:pop:

Once one realizes the other options are Andre Johnsom, Steve Slaton, Owen Daniels, and Kevin Walter, running Chris Brown up the gut behind this line starts to look more appealing.

:sarcasm:

Just so I'm perfectly clear, how many times is "plenty of chances"?

Well without having to even look it up, I'd guess that Brown's had about 6 chances inside the 5 to punch it in, and if I'm not mistaken he's only got in once. And when you consider that one of the times he failed, he also fumbled and lost the game, and two others were at the end of the game where we ended up losing because he couldn't get it. He certainly isn't a guy who rises for the moment either. He's been worthless to this team since we brought him in here.

I think if Slaton hadn’t put the ball on the ground 3-4 times already this year, he would get a shot. After Brown put it on the ground at the goal line, thought we may see a change. For a small back, Slaton’s a strong, tough inside runner that can move piles. Even with the fumbles I’d much rather see the ball in his hands at the goal line. Never been a big Chris Brown fan. If a hole is there any back can get it in, it’s what you can do when there no hole… give me Slaton.

I think if Slaton hadn’t put the ball on the ground 3-4 times already this year, he would get a shot. After Brown put it on the ground at the goal line, thought we may see a change. For a small back, Slaton’s a strong, tough inside runner that can move piles. Even with the fumbles I’d much rather see the ball in his hands at the goal line. Never been a big Chris Brown fan. If a hole is there any back can get it in, it’s what you can do when there no hole… give me Slaton.

If there is no hole, Slaton goes nowhere.

Things are so bad for Brown that Sports Guy can't even get his name right

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091016

VINNY SALVUCCI (-4.5) over Chris Jones
Jones is Houston's goal-line back: aka, the guy who fumbled away a game-tying TD in Jacksonville and got stuffed to end the Arizona game. Salvucci was the guy from "All the Right Moves" who fumbled in his own end zone in the pouring rain and cost Ampipe High the game -- although it wasn't his fault because his ***** coach should have taken a safety -- then couldn't stop sobbing in the locker room, leading to that same ***** coach (played by Craig T. Nelson) to belittle him in front of everyone, prompting Tom Cruise to do the "He didn't quit, you quit!" intervention and get kicked off the team (which nearly cost Cruise a college scholarship but enabled him to have "I feel sorry for you" sex with Lea Thompson), with everything ending when Salvucci was arrested in class for armed robbery. Sorry, Chris Jones ... you might have had a rough season thus far, but you're not beating Salvucci.

(What's never been explained: Why did Craig T. Nelson snap at Salvucci? Come on, give it a good cry! YOU CHOKED! YOU QUIT! Really, Craig T? That's how you handle adversity in the Ampipe High locker room after a crushing defeat -- not by saying, "I screwed up, I should have taken the safety, that loss was on me," but by ripping your already broken running back to shreds and pushing him toward a felony crime? You made Eric Mangini seem likable. I hope you failed at Cal Poly.)

Edit: It has now been editted and corrected

Last edited:
Back