Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Will we make a trade before the deadline?

With both of our starting guards on IR and a running game that is performing poorly do you think we're gonna make a trade before this week's deadline to try and shore up one of the many weaknesses on our team?

I think the return of Reeves, the emergence of Quinn, and the arrival of Pollard will provide enough of a lift for our secondary that we wont need to make a drastic trade to patch a gaping hole.

On the DL Amobi is coming on strong and our NTs have been serviceable the last few weeks. We could probably make a move here but I dont think that there is anyone available who would provide a huge upgrade unless we give up something big.

On the OL we are all of a sudden extremely thin on an already weak interior OL. Studdard and White are career backups who are spot starters at best but we will be starting at least one of them long term. Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season). Dont forget we still have Chris Meyers starting at center, Schaub will not be comfortable in the pocket with this interior OL.

At RB i'm comfortable with Slaton/Moats between the 20s. Dont know if Chris Brown has the burst we need in a short yardage back to get to the LOS full steam ahead before the OL loses at the POA like last week. I wouldn't mind us making a trade for someone like Michael Bush, but dont think he'd be worth the price with what he'd be able to accomplish behind this interior OL. We'll have to stick with Brown in short yardage or get real creative like the Dolphins did last night and run some wildcat running back direct snaps. I'd like to see Casey get in some wildcat packages at some point this season.
Old 10-13-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we make a trade before the deadline?

With our 2 starting guards going down, I think we will need another swing interior lineman.

Sounds like a FA job to me. On the practice squad we have Brett Helms a rookie center and a rookie tackle Adam Stenavich.

But who is available? Or worth trading for?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our worse need, as you said, is in the middle of the D-line. No one is giving up a DT stud or prospect at this point.
I don't see anyone giving up anything we'd want - do you?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season).
Charles Spencer (3rd round pick) started right off the bat. I'm guessing that there is more to Caldwell not playing than just draft position.
Old 10-13-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I suggest we bring back ND Kalu and convert to guard. He can also be our power back/kick returner.
Old 10-13-2009   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's trade for Barack Obama. Maybe they'll award him the Lombardi trophy right away for what he MIGHT be able to do.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Let's trade for Barack Obama. Maybe they'll award him the Lombardi trophy right away for what he MIGHT be able to do.
Ok, but don't we have enough players that do nothing?
Old 10-13-2009   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
With both of our starting guards on IR and a running game that is performing poorly do you think we're gonna make a trade before this week's deadline to try and shore up one of the many weaknesses on our team?

I think the return of Reeves, the emergence of Quinn, and the arrival of Pollard will provide enough of a lift for our secondary that we wont need to make a drastic trade to patch a gaping hole.

On the DL Amobi is coming on strong and our NTs have been serviceable the last few weeks. We could probably make a move here but I dont think that there is anyone available who would provide a huge upgrade unless we give up something big.

On the OL we are all of a sudden extremely thin on an already weak interior OL. Studdard and White are career backups who are spot starters at best but we will be starting at least one of them long term. Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season). Dont forget we still have Chris Meyers starting at center, Schaub will not be comfortable in the pocket with this interior OL.

At RB i'm comfortable with Slaton/Moats between the 20s. Dont know if Chris Brown has the burst we need in a short yardage back to get to the LOS full steam ahead before the OL loses at the POA like last week. I wouldn't mind us making a trade for someone like Michael Bush, but dont think he'd be worth the price with what he'd be able to accomplish behind this interior OL. We'll have to stick with Brown in short yardage or get real creative like the Dolphins did last night and run some wildcat running back direct snaps. I'd like to see Casey get in some wildcat packages at some point this season.
I would LOVE to get our hands on Bush. I wanted him that year, but Oakland took him. Damn them.
Old 10-13-2009   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Since it seems like we're hard up for linemen right now, I don't see how it could hurt to bring in Levi Jones.

We wouldn't even have to trade for him.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #10
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Charles Spencer (3rd round pick) started right off the bat. I'm guessing that there is more to Caldwell not playing than just draft position.
Necessity...
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok, but don't we have enough players that do nothing?
Can we please leave politics out of football?
Old 10-13-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why? Is it any more frustrating than the Texans?
Old 10-13-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why? Is it any more frustrating than the Texans?

Yes, the NSZ is frustrating enough..I dont want it spilling over into my football
Old 10-13-2009   #14
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I agree that it gets irritating. I try to keep those worlds seperate myself.

However, it's damn funny to hear some of these sports fans (not talking about this board, but the sports media in general) go nuts over the Rush/Rams thing.

I just cracked up during my whole lunch reading some of the drool from a reaction to a foxsports article by jason whitlock. OMG!

Priceless!!!!

This is the only board I really visit or give a flip about, so, hoping it stays politics free, but the other sites I occasionally visit, I hope people keep going nuts, it's just too damn funny....sorry. The only place that still tops sports fans going of about politics is reading craigslist rant and rave section (at least here in austin)...wow....so much going over there that is pure comedy gold...especially when someone tries to pontificate and be taken seriosuly. Half the crap has no basis or reference. Too good to pass up IMO.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trades are really hard to swing in football, unless its low paid bit players.
Old 10-13-2009   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody heard of Cooper Carlisle? drafted for Alex Gibbs ZBS by Broncos in 2000 (Rick Smith 1st year in front office w/Broncos) 4th rd. out of Florida. now plays for Oakland.

If the Texans do address OL depth, which is a serious possiblity, there is a good chance its a player like this. low cost, low maintenace, already knows system(ZBS)coaches(Gibbs)GM(Rick Smith)players(Chris Myers).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #17
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I would LOVE to get our hands on Bush. I wanted him that year, but Oakland took him. Damn them.
Only way you would get Bush is if you take Al too.

Seriously though, I think Bush should be our #1 back, McFadden isn't cutting it; I am sure he would shine elsewhere...but definitely not in Oakland. Maybe Al will put him up for sale?
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ny-montgomery/

I'd give up the 5th/6th from SDG for this guy
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the Texans would keep Adrian Jones, 6'4-330 lbs, but he didn't make the cut.

He didn't play well during PS, but I thought a veteran Guard who can also play Tackle (for cheap) is worth keeping.

Wonder if he has any other issue???
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #20
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

I too would like to trade for Bush, but I remember hearing something like Davis wanted a 2nd for him, I don't think so at that price, maybe a 3 and a 5.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read