Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What kind of guard could Winston be?

Let me preface this by saying that what I am about to say is not something that I am hopeful will happen or even that I believe it should happen. Think of this as an exercise of a bored and frustrated fan. In reality I would say the chances of Winston seeing meaningful time at guard are slim to none. Slim if we get a new set of coaches and GM, none if the current set stays the same.

So here is the scenario: We finish up the rest of this season at 8-8 give or take a game either way. Our running game does not improve like we are hoping it will. The draft rolls around and sitting there at our pick in the middle of round 1 is a nice big talented RT prospect.

Do you get the itch to draft him and slide Winston to guard?
If so, which guard position is he best suited?
Is he too tall to play guard?
Is he being paid too much for a guard?
What kind of a transition period would he need to feel comfortable?

Mostly I am looking for ways to bring in some bulk and talent to our interior line. I think Winston might fit that description and he also has good athleticism for his size. This scenario is not ideal, obviously, because we would be ignoring some glaring needs in the secondary and defense in general but I think it might make for some decent discussion. Let me know what you think.
Old 10-12-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What kind of guard could Winston be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Let me preface this by saying that what I am about to say is not something that I am hopeful will happen or even that I believe it should happen. Think of this as an exercise of a bored and frustrated fan. In reality I would say the chances of Winston seeing meaningful time at guard are slim to none. Slim if we get a new set of coaches and GM, none if the current set stays the same.

So here is the scenario: We finish up the rest of this season at 8-8 give or take a game either way. Our running game does not improve like we are hoping it will. The draft rolls around and sitting there at our pick in the middle of round 1 is a nice big talented RT prospect.

Do you get the itch to draft him and slide Winston to guard?
If so, which guard position is he best suited?
Is he too tall to play guard?
Is he being paid too much for a guard?
What kind of a transition period would he need to feel comfortable?

Mostly I am looking for ways to bring in some bulk and talent to our interior line. I think Winston might fit that description and he also has good athleticism for his size. This scenario is not ideal, obviously, because we would be ignoring some glaring needs in the secondary and defense in general but I think it might make for some decent discussion. Let me know what you think.
If I was to do it:

1. Draft a RT
Slide Winston to RG
3. If I can, I will try to find a C who is as athletic as Myers but stronger.
Slide Myers to LG where he played for the Broncos.

DONE!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Have the Texans ever worked him at guard? Winston and Brown are the only two guys on the OL that can get a consistent push in the running game. I wouldn't mind shifting him over to guard and having Butler come in at RT if it means we can gain a yard every now and then!!!
Old 10-12-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I can tell you already that Winston would hate the idea. Someone should call and ask him on 610 tomorrow, beware though you might get chewed out lol.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

What kind of guard would he be? Too tall.

The shorter, heavy tackles would get under his pads and push him around. He's a tackle.
Old 10-12-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really think the course of action should hypothetically be changing Winston to G but getting better Gs. I think Winston is a pretty decent RT and we've got 2 good starting OTs but making the interior stronger shouldn't take away from the outsides. Brisiel doesn't get beat up as much as Myers or Studdard but he's not much of a bulldozer either. It doesn't matter how athletic you can make an OL if they can't take block when it's time to block. Clearly, VERY clearly the answer is to have stronger (even if slower) guys in the middle. At least one for cheese's sake. ONE guy you can get into any situation (like, the ones we seem to be a part of on a weekly basis...coincidence?) and say that guy will push a mountain 1 yard if he has to.

What kind of G would Winston be? The same kind of T he is with Myers and Studdard manning the middle.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

The shorter, heavy tackles would get under his pads and push him around. He's a tackle.
Fair criticism but there are some great tall guards out there. Hutchinson is 6'5, Steinbach is 6'6, Gallery was (injured now I believe) playing real well at guard at about 6'7, Leonard Davis is at least 6'6.
Old 10-12-2009   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

On the subject of guards, it will be interesting since Brisel looks like he will be out. Either White or Caldwell will have to step in.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't we just try out some unbalanced line? Put Winston and Brown side by side so you have a solid plug. Sort of like the Wildcat, but leaving the QB in to manage the play.

TE - LG - C - RG - RT - LT - TE

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Eric Winston is our biggest problem in the running game, and our biggest liability in the passing game. If we're going to slide him anywhere, it needs to be towards the direction of the bench.

I'm watching our first possesion of the second half of tha Arizona game.
2&1 Hou-22 Darnel Docket Blows by Eric Winston & Molests Slaton in the backfield.
3&1 Hou-22 Winston throws the most pathetic cut block I've ever seen, misses Gerald Hayes who goes on to abuse Slaton some more.

I just happen to be watching these plays, as I read this thread...... but they are very, very, very common.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-13-2009 at 02:08 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #11
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Disgruntled?

Guards get paid far less than tackles in general.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Our next possesion, Haggens beats Winston around the edge, and hit's Schaub's arm as he throws.

About 4 plays later, Haggens beats Winston again around the edge, Brisiel is mauled, & Schaub ischased out of the pocket because of it.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-13-2009 at 02:30 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is an excellent idea. If the Texans really want their best 5 linemen out there. I think the Oline would be better than it's been all season with this lineup:

Brown, Caldwell, Myers/White, Winston, Butler

Butler is definitely better in pass protection, IMO. that would make the right side of the line highly athletic. Butler is excellent at cutting on the backside. We would by physically much stronger at guard and more athletic at tackle. Man, too bad it won't happen!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Disgruntled?

Pitts was a LT (big old check) that moved to Guard.
Old 10-13-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think this is an excellent idea. If the Texans really want their best 5 linemen out there. I think the Oline would be better than it's been all season with this lineup:

Brown, Caldwell, Myers/White, Winston, Butler

Butler is definitely better in pass protection, IMO. that would make the right side of the line highly athletic. Butler is excellent at cutting on the backside. We would by physically much stronger at guard and more athletic at tackle. Man, too bad it won't happen!
I don't mind seeing this.
I would rotate Caldwell and White at one Guard spot though.
Old 10-13-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

He's only an inch taller than Pitts and the same height as Brisiel.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Disgruntled?

Winston just signed a $30M contract and is signed through 2013.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Winston just signed a $30M contract and is signed through 2013.
Winston probably wouldn't mind the move inside then!
And he shouldn't!
Old 10-13-2009   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone else find it coincidental that with Weary playing RG Winston was looking like one of the better young RT in the league. Enter Mike Brisiel and suddenly Winston doesn't look so good.

People might want to blame Winston, but I think there should be more blame on the guards play( or lack of).

I'm not keen on the idea myself, but if it puts Brisiel and Studdard on the bench for the foreseeable future. I'm down.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Does anyone else find it coincidental that with Weary playing RG Winston was looking like one of the better young RT in the league. Enter Mike Brisiel and suddenly Winston doesn't look so good.

People might want to blame Winston, but I think there should be more blame on the guards play( or lack of).

I'm not keen on the idea myself, but if it puts Brisiel and Studdard on the bench for the foreseeable future. I'm down.
I really don't know.
Maybe we had Weary helping out Winston more.
But now that he's a vet, they put him on an island almost exclusively.

At any rate, I was just listening to Winston on 610 radio.
He said it's still up in the air whether it's White or Caldwell at Guard.

He tried hard to avoid the question of having Butler at RT and him moving into Guard.

But at the end, he said he would do whatever it takes for the good of the team.
What I thought he'd said!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read