Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Some quick thoughts about the Bengals

They've beaten all their division opponents in the last 3 weeks. That includes both AFC championship participants from last year. But sandwiched in between was a curious near tie against the Browns. Chalk all 3 games up to rivalry?

They demolished the Green Bay Packers as well. A game in which their DE Antwan Odom had 5 sacks.

They'd be undefeated if not for Stokley's miracle catch in week 1.

Cedric Benson was the first RB in nearly 40 games to rush for over 100 yards against the Ravens. Their CBs, Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph, are two of the best, they have held the opposing team's top WR to 0 catches in the last 3 games and they happen to have a pretty good QB/WR combo.

Their defense is 17th in yards allowed (these are per game so they shouldn't be effected by Jets/Dolphins) but are tied for 9th in points allowed (18).

Needless to say we've got our work cut out for us on the road next week. The most eye popping stats were the fact Benson got over 100 yards against the Ravens and that their secondary has held the opponent's top WR to 0 catches in 3 consecutive games.

This isn't the same team we blew out in Reliant Stadium last year. I highly doubt AJ will be held to a goose egg but Benson scares me because while our defense is improving they are a long way from the Baltimore Ravens.
Old 10-12-2009   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some quick thoughts about the Bengals

I was going to start a thread like this! Some other points...

They finished last year strong - three straight wins. They built on that to start this year 4-1.* They are 7-1 in their last eight games.

They won their last three games with scores in the final minute.**

This is not the easy game some are portraying it to be. The Texans are playing the team many of the fans hoped the Texans would become.

*Texans fans predict this every year until the games start. Someone with the team should try to figure out what the Bengals did and try to apply it.

**Again, the Texans should take note.
Old 10-12-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

They finished last year strong - three straight wins. They built on that to start this year 4-1.* They are 7-1 in their last eight games.

This is not the easy game some are portraying it to be. The Texans are playing the team many of the fans hoped the Texans would become.

*Texans fans predict this every year until the games start. Someone with the team should try to figure out what the Bengals did and try to apply it.

The pro Kubiak people especially. Most people thought Marvin Lewis should've been fired already after several mediocre/poor seasons following early success but he seems to have gotten the Bengals turned in the right direction. What did he do to get his team playing "consistent" football all of a sudden and what can Kubiak do to copy his success?
Old 10-12-2009   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they're due for a let down after that strech. They pulled out two wins against the big dogs in the division and now they're legit. Now time for us to give them a reality check. That's my story for the week.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good post.

I think many Texans fans had similar thoughts going into the Jets game. I for one had a bad feeling going into that one, even though it was a "rookie coach" and "rookie QB". You are very right for including how teams were trending at the end of the prior season.

Quite frankly, I've been to a game at Paul Brown Stadium. It was a tougher place to play than people may think and that was a year when the Bengals weren't doing that well and attendance was down.
Old 10-12-2009   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
What did he do to get his team playing "consistent" football all of a sudden and what can Kubiak do to copy his success?
Carson Palmer got healthy. That's the biggest thing.
Old 10-12-2009   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Carson Palmer got healthy. That's the biggest thing.
They added a good running back and got the offensive line to be effective too. That's just on offense.
Old 10-12-2009   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I must have missed whoever was painting this game in that light. I think we have a shot but the Bengals are capable of pulling a Jets on us.
Old 10-12-2009   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles
Quote:
I must have missed whoever was painting this game in that light. I think we have a shot but the Bengals are capable of pulling a Jets on us.
Earlier in the season when people were circling 11-12 teams on the schedule as "wins" the Bengals were usually listed as automatic. I'm sure they were after the Texans signature win against the Raiders too.
Old 10-12-2009   #10
WhoDeyBengals
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 WhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been four years since I've posted to this forum, but here I am.

Hi.

I come in peace. No smack from me on this one.
Quote:
The pro Kubiak people especially. Most people thought Marvin Lewis should've been fired already after several mediocre/poor seasons following early success but he seems to have gotten the Bengals turned in the right direction. What did he do to get his team playing "consistent" football all of a sudden and what can Kubiak do to copy his success?
Before this season began, Lewis said, "this is my team." The implication being that he never had the ideal personnel for his style. He has it now, and that's because he got the players he wanted through the draft and free agency, and the players we already had closed ranks and locked step.

We had a fantastic draft this year, and we are already getting contributions from rookies like Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Morgan Trent, Kevin Huber and Bernard Scott. It's hard not to like how the draft went for us. When Andre Smith finally gets his tubby ass in gear, we're going to be scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Good post.

I think many Texans fans had similar thoughts going into the Jets game. I for one had a bad feeling going into that one, even though it was a "rookie coach" and "rookie QB". You are very right for including how teams were trending at the end of the prior season.

Quite frankly, I've been to a game at Paul Brown Stadium. It was a tougher place to play than people may think and that was a year when the Bengals weren't doing that well and attendance was down.
Cincinnati is stoked, and that stadium should be packed with fans for the Texans game. It's not completely sold out yet, but I imagine that will be resolved during the week.

I haven't seen the Texans play this year, but looking at their results, it looks like a team that struggles on both sides of the ball. I'm honestly not sure how we match up, but it's going to be a tough game for you guys to win on the road. That much I can tell you.

I've always had a soft spot for the Texans, and I hope you guys eventually turn it around (just not this week!). Good luck this Sunday.
Old 10-12-2009   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals

Hi.

Quote:
Before this season began, Lewis said, "this is my team." The implication being that he never had the ideal personnel for his style. He has it now, and that's because he got the players he wanted through the draft and free agency, and the players we already had closed ranks and locked step.

We had a fantastic draft this year, and we are already getting contributions from rookies like Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Morgan Trent, Kevin Huber and Bernard Scott. It's hard not to like how the draft went for us. When Andre Smith finally gets his tubby ass in gear, we're going to be scary.

Quote:
Good post.

Cincinnati is stoked, and that stadium should be packed with fans for the Texans game. It's not completely sold out yet, but I imagine that will be resolved during the week.

I haven't seen the Texans play this year, but looking at their results, it looks like a team that struggles on both sides of the ball. I'm honestly not sure how we match up, but it's going to be a tough game for you guys to win on the road. That much I can tell you.

I've always had a soft spot for the Texans, and I hope you guys eventually turn it around (just not this week!). Good luck this Sunday.
Thanks for joining in.
Old 10-13-2009   #12
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post

Hi.

I'm glad to see a Cincy fan here...that's all good, but just know we are gonna give you a fight and I've seen all, but 1 of ur games this yr(Packers)....I know we can move the ball on u guys and it's gonna be a battle up there, I have a good feeling about this game...

U guys have benefited from some huge breaks that we haven't been fortunate to get, but ur luck is gonna run out!...

Last edited by Air Canada; 10-13-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
They added a good running back and got the offensive line to be effective too. That's just on offense.
Ahhhh . . . so you're saying that the Bengals coaching wasn't the problem. They just needed to get the talent at key positions.

Ok, I can go for that.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Ahhhh . . . so you're saying that the Bengals coaching wasn't the problem. They just needed to get the talent at key positions.

Ok, I can go for that.

Nice try, but I didn't say that. I'm not drawing any conclusions - I don't follow the Bengals closely enough. I imagine a lot of things had to change - front office, coaching, players - to turn that ship around. If the front office, coaching, and players haven't changed much in personnel, then their approach to their respective jobs must have.

I'm just wondering what people think the changes were.

Quote:
I meant this at the organizational level - maybe the coach and front office need to apply some lessons learned. Note that are existing staff could do that if they identified what wasn't working and tried to improve those areas. I can see from your perspective that it would apply to the players. I can agree with that. I don't agree to the level you maintain - that failure on the field is near 100% on the players and the coaches bear almost no responibility - but the players obviously have a lot to learn too. I've always maintained that the coaches and players both have a responsibility for what shows up on the field.

Quote:
Adding the running back was talent - or the front office finally figuring out how to get needed talent. I'm not sure about the offensive line - did they get a bumch of new players (or just the decent RB), change the way the were doing thing, or trundle along until the same old thing finally started working? I'm not going to make an assumption just to fit what I think is wrong with the Texans and defend it forever.
Old 10-13-2009   #15
WhoDeyBengals
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 WhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice try, but I didn't say that. I'm not drawing any conclusions - I don't follow the Bengals closely enough. I imagine a lot of things had to change - front office, coaching, players - to turn that ship around. If the front office, coaching, and players haven't changed much in personnel, then their approach to their respective jobs must have.

I'm just wondering what people think the changes were.
Front office? Not at all.

Coaching? Maybe. We hired Mike Zimmer to become our new defensive coordinator. There's an obvious difference in the level of play, but there's definitely a different set of guys out there this year.

Talent? Ding! That's the one. We've had massive turnover at a couple of critical spots, and that's made all the difference for us.

Quote:
I meant this at the organizational level - maybe the coach and front office need to apply some lessons learned. Note that are existing staff could do that if they identified what wasn't working and tried to improve those areas. I can see from your perspective that it would apply to the players. I can agree with that. I don't agree to the level you maintain - that failure on the field is near 100% on the players and the coaches bear almost no responibility - but the players obviously have a lot to learn too. I've always maintained that the coaches and players both have a responsibility for what shows up on the field.
The real key was locking Mike Brown in a broom closet for the entirety of the offseason. There's no way we make the moves we made with him at the controls. Our draft was phenomenal, and it largely lacked our owner's fingerprints. The only guy I can say with any confidence that he might have had anything to do with is Smith in the first, and that's only because Eugene Monroe was still on the board when we took him. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Quote:
Adding the running back was talent - or the front office finally figuring out how to get needed talent. I'm not sure about the offensive line - did they get a bumch of new players (or just the decent RB), change the way the were doing thing, or trundle along until the same old thing finally started working? I'm not going to make an assumption just to fit what I think is wrong with the Texans and defend it forever.
Left to right, Bengals 2008 offensive line:
L. Jones
A. Whitworth
E. Ghiaciuc
B. Williams
S. Andrews

Left to right, Bengals 2009 offensive line:
A. Whitworth
E. Mathis
K. Cook
B. Williams
A. Collins/D. Roland (soon to be A. Smith)

See a difference?

Two starters out of five return, and only one is playing at the same position as last year. That's a huge amount of turnover, and one of the only reasons I was concerned about the team this year. But they're a tough bunch. They do a good job on passing plays, and Benson has been getting holes all year against tough defenses that normally don't give up a lot of rushing yards. It all starts up front. The offensive scheme is mostly the same (save for a few new wrinkles). It's the players and the execution that are different.

Talent is the be-all, end-all in this league. If you have too many weak links, the chain breaks.
Old 10-14-2009   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I think they're due for a let down after that strech. They pulled out two wins against the big dogs in the division and now they're legit. Now time for us to give them a reality check. That's my story for the week.
That's what i've been thinking. If we lose this week, 10-6 is almost out of the question for good. I'm not going to say playoffs because we'll have *insert Jim Mora* posted about 3 times.
Old 10-14-2009   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They've beaten all their division opponents in the last 3 weeks. That includes both AFC championship participants from last year. But sandwiched in between was a curious near tie against the Browns. Chalk all 3 games up to rivalry?

They demolished the Green Bay Packers as well. A game in which their DE Antwan Odom had 5 sacks.

They'd be undefeated if not for Stokley's miracle catch in week 1.

Cedric Benson was the first RB in nearly 40 games to rush for over 100 yards against the Ravens. Their CBs, Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph, are two of the best, they have held the opposing team's top WR to 0 catches in the last 3 games and they happen to have a pretty good QB/WR combo.

Their defense is 17th in yards allowed (these are per game so they shouldn't be effected by Jets/Dolphins) but are tied for 9th in points allowed (18).

Needless to say we've got our work cut out for us on the road next week. The most eye popping stats were the fact Benson got over 100 yards against the Ravens and that their secondary has held the opponent's top WR to 0 catches in 3 consecutive games.

This isn't the same team we blew out in Reliant Stadium last year. I highly doubt AJ will be held to a goose egg but Benson scares me because while our defense is improving they are a long way from the Baltimore Ravens.
Who do you consider Pittsburghs best WR to be?
Old 10-14-2009   #18
WhoDeyBengals
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Who do you consider Pittsburghs best WR to be?
We didn't shut out Pittsburgh, but Santonio Holmes was held to one catch for 18 yards. He's their homerun hitter.

Ward's their best, but he often runs out of the slot.
Old 10-14-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, whoever the top receivers are, I dont think your pass defense is quite the difference maker here. You guys are ranked 23rd or something with 230 yards per game, and thats playing against some mediocre passing offenses
Old 10-14-2009   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals
Talent is the be-all, end-all in this league. If you have too many weak links, the chain breaks.
Good post.

What broke free that raised the talent level after years of futility; how did you finally get the right pieces? The Benson pickup was pretty lucky, and the defense seems to have improved through better coaching. What else?

The Texans second regime has replaced most of the roster, and ended up with the same problems they've always had: oline, defensive tackle, safety, cornerback, and a lack of depth in too many places. Something needs to change.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read