Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2nd Half Defense - What made the Difference?

After the Cards roll up 297 total yards, 21 points, 18 first downs, and Warner going 20-23 in the 1st half, they can only manage just about the exact opposite in the 2nd half. Zero points, only 43 yards total offense just ONE 1st down, Warner 6-15 for 40 yards, all 5 possesions ended in punts with 4 of those possessions being 3 & outs.

What did it? How did the Texans D put up those kind of DOMINATING numbers in the 2nd half?

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: 2nd Half Defense - What made the Difference?

The DL started pressuring Kurt consistently and we had some tremendous individual efforts in the secondary on 3rd downs. In particular Dunta and Reeves knocking the ball out of the hands of the Cardinals top 2 WRs.

I'm sure part of it can be chalked up to the Cardinals offense falling asleep at the wheel and kind of coasting then not being able to turn it back on when we got ourselves back in the game.

Makes you wonder what the Cardinals could've done had Schaub just thrown it away instead of the pick 6. Would the Cards have driven down the field and scored? Or would we have gotten the ball back and finished them off?

Very impressive flash from the defense, now we need to get consistent everywhere and play complete games the rest of this season!!!
Old 10-12-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Execution was the difference. Everyone makes everyone else's job easier. When the DB's cover there's more time to get to the QB and vice versa.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't paid close attention to the D, but I would say better pressure up the middle (where I said - before the game - would be the key to stopping the Cards.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I haven't paid close attention to the D, but I would say better pressure up the middle (where I said - before the game - would be the key to stopping the Cards.)
When you rewatch it look for the Texans playing more man to man than zone. I think HOU-TEX brought that up earler today.
Old 10-12-2009   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacques Reeves was borderline shut down caliber in the 2nd half, I was very impressed. I don't even mind that PI penalty he had because that call could go either way and if he doesn't play it like that its almost a guarantee that Boldin makes the catch.
Old 10-12-2009   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Jacques Reeves was borderline shut down caliber in the 2nd half, I was very impressed. I don't even mind that PI penalty he had because that call could go either way and if he doesn't play it like that its almost a guarantee that Boldin makes the catch.
That was the play that Boldin likely would've had 6, right? I'll take a big penalty over big points any day.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2009   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

lets just hope the switch went on permanently. amazed by the D in the 2nd half.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't we get that kind of effort for an entire game? These guys are pro's making a ton of money. This D has shown flashes of greatness, but all too often it's too little, too late. Hopefully, we'll see that effort against a Bengals squad that's playing some pretty good football.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Why can't we get that kind of effort for an entire game? These guys are pro's making a ton of money. This D has shown flashes of greatness, but all too often it's too little, too late. Hopefully, we'll see that effort against a Bengals squad that's playing some pretty good football.
Because we have 2 rookies, a safety signed two weeks ago starting on a defense that is brand new for everybody. It's improved and will continue to improve- particularly if our key players remain healthy. Reeves coming back and shakin off the rust was also a factor.

we got that kind of effort for an entire game last week.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #11
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason in the first half, Bush decided that long looping stunts were the best way to get there effectively, giving Warner a crap load of time.

In the second half saw a lot more LB blitzes and pass rushing sans Dline games.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #12
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacues Reeves shook off the "first game of the year" anxiety and settled in. I've always though he took too much crap from fans and that he's a solid 2nd corner in this league. He and Pollard getting comfortable in this defense are what made the difference. I think we finally have the right combination to sport an NFL-caliber secondary. Not "great", but good enough to keep us in games. With a potent offense like we have, that's enough for now. We still need a premiere safety and another run-stuffing DT. And a better center and RT. We're THISCLOSE to an elite team.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Because we have 2 rookies, a safety signed two weeks ago starting on a defense that is brand new for everybody. It's improved and will continue to improve- particularly if our key players remain healthy. Reeves coming back and shakin off the rust was also a factor.

we got that kind of effort for an entire game last week.
That's a BS copout of an answer. We started 2 rookies and a safety signed 2 weeks ago because the D sucked ball sacks before we started them. This team either doesn't have the leadership, players or coaches, or the heart to lay it all on the line for a full 60 minutes.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Something is wrong with the coaching. The blame could be put on the players I don't argue, but I still blame the generals, not the soldiers.
Old 10-13-2009   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say because the Cards stopped attacking our weakness - throwing to the RB on screens and stuff to keep us honest. This may have been because they started throwing TDs to receivers and thought they could have their way with us, abandoning what was moving the ball for them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
When you rewatch it look for the Texans playing more man to man than zone. I think HOU-TEX brought that up earler today.
I'm not a 100%, but I remember several times we're in a zone coverage in the first half getting our asses ripped. It seemed like their WRs were running routes right where the holes in the zone were.

I think there was a lot more man coverage in the 2nd half. IIRC, both of the plays Dunta and Reeves knocked the ball out of the WR's hands were man.
Old 10-13-2009   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Combination of both: Straight-up-the-field pass rush by dline, AND man-to-man by the DBs.

This caused Warner to pay closer attention to the pocket, which was collapsing faster with a straight-up-the-field pass rush by dline, and it made him hesitate throwing the ball because WRs weren't altering their routes and finding empty holes in the field (because there was no longer a consistent zone look by our DBs, like we had int he 1st half).

He was hesitating, pulling the ball down and then trying to put it back up again, and it messed up the timing of both him AND his WRs.

Richard Smith's defensive playcalling would not have made the adjustment at half. Both Shanahan and Bush, IMO, made huge adjustments at half.

That's why I think this team is truly figuring things out. Now if we can just get to the point where we're making those adjustments during the game, and not during half!
Old 10-13-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Jacues Reeves shook off the "first game of the year" anxiety and settled in. I've always though he took too much crap from fans and that he's a solid 2nd corner in this league. He and Pollard getting comfortable in this defense are what made the difference. I think we finally have the right combination to sport an NFL-caliber secondary. Not "great", but good enough to keep us in games. With a potent offense like we have, that's enough for now. We still need a premiere safety and another run-stuffing DT. And a better center and RT. We're THISCLOSE to an elite team.
Reeves made some great plays. So did Dunta. If they get rolling, with Quinn as nickle, we could be ok. Pollard looked good, IMO.
Old 10-13-2009   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Reeves made some great plays. So did Dunta. If they get rolling, with Quinn as nickle, we could be ok. Pollard looked good, IMO.
i agree, both guys made plays when they needed to. Neither is a #1 cb but they are both solid. Someone said it earlier, but i think we might've found the right combination in our secondary with Dunta, Reeves, Wilson & Pollard & as long as they stay healthy i think we can be serviceable back there for the rest of the season.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #20
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Dialing up the blitz. Bush started blitzing Ryans and Cushing up the middle, and Diles and Cushing off the edges. It made a world of difference.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read