Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where is James Casey?

No, I'm not saying we would be undefeated with him in there, but I thought his versatility could help us on offense. I've seen him on special teams, but not on offense. Just curious. I know OD's the starter and Vonta is the FB, but surely Casey can spell either of them from time to time...the kid's a physical specimen.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Where is James Casey?

He was in on offense for two plays against the Cards, and one of them was a frantic right side rollout with a weak out of bounds throw by Schaub. Casey dove for it out of bounds.
Old 10-12-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
No, I'm not saying we would be undefeated with him in there, but I thought his versatility could help us on offense. I've seen him on special teams, but not on offense. Just curious. I know OD's the starter and Vonta is the FB, but surely Casey can spell either of them from time to time...the kid's a physical specimen.
He's versatile but unfortunately for him he's not better than what we've got in front of him quite yet. I think its a good thing we've got in allowing him to develop at multiple positions slowly instead of throwing him right in there immediately.

Leach doesn't need to be spelled, we go to 3 WR sets often enough where he gets enough of a breather. Dreesen is further ahead than Casey at this point and is making a case for us not having to pay OD big bucks next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing us work Casey into some type of short yardage wild cat formation. I think, especially in yesterday's game, having something like that in our bag of tricks could've helped us out in all the 3rd/4th and short situations we failed to convert on including the big one at the end.

Casey showed some short yardage ability at Rice and having him get a direct snap could cure what ails us, especially if he can throw the ball a little bit to present that threat.
Old 10-12-2009   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
He's versatile but unfortunately for him he's not better than what we've got in front of him quite yet. I think its a good thing we've got in allowing him to develop at multiple positions slowly instead of throwing him right in there immediately.

Leach doesn't need to be spelled, we go to 3 WR sets often enough where he gets enough of a breather. Dreesen is further ahead than Casey at this point and is making a case for us not having to pay OD big bucks next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing us work Casey into some type of short yardage wild cat formation. I think, especially in yesterday's game, having something like that in our bag of tricks could've helped us out in all the 3rd/4th and short situations we failed to convert on including the big one at the end.

Casey showed some short yardage ability at Rice and having him get a direct snap could cure what ails us, especially if he can throw the ball a little bit to present that threat.
I think that's the ultimate problem. It's not that he's terrible, but at the same time he's not better then OD and Dressen has looked like a good second option.

He's just going to have a difficult time breaking the starting lineup with the guys ahead of him. I am not sure if that makes him a wasted pick, but makes it questionable in my eyes.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think that's the ultimate problem. It's not that he's terrible, but at the same time he's not better then OD and Dressen has looked like a good second option.

He's just going to have a difficult time breaking the starting lineup with the guys ahead of him. I am not sure if that makes him a wasted pick, but makes it questionable in my eyes.
Hard to be upset with a 5th round pick who backs up TE/FB/LS and contributes on special teams. He has proven to be a good pick so far, if he were a questionable pick he would be cut already.
Old 10-12-2009   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

He's not a bad player and I really like the guy but I agree he was a wasted pick. 4th string TE/bench warmer is not a high priority and shouldn't have been taken in the draft. We could have used more quality and/or depth at Safety or O-line instead.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
He's not a bad player and I really like the guy but I agree he was a wasted pick. 4th string TE/bench warmer is not a high priority and shouldn't have been taken in the draft. We could have used more quality and/or depth at Safety or O-line instead.
Again, a contributor is not a wasted pick. If you want to see a wasted pick look at Anthony Hill thus far. He cant even get on the field and he was supposed to be a big boost to helping the OL block against 3-4 defenses.

Plus, in the 4th round you have a better chance of actually finding some help at safety and OL. Hard to ask a 5th rounder to step in and be "the answer" at a problem position.
Old 10-12-2009   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
He's versatile but unfortunately for him he's not better than what we've got in front of him quite yet.
He's a better threat as a wr/motion fb than Vonta Leach is.

I'm sure all the crayola and waterpaints were nice but teacher stuck with lil' Shan's supersecret ultraplays too long. That whole series was crap. Let's see a full house backfield with Leach/Casey playing FB and Slaton the HB. Hell, motion Casey into and do some crazy misdirection stuff. Jeez I've played Madden before, it's not that hard to be sneaky.

Last edited by TimeKiller; 10-12-2009 at 08:06 PM.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read