Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Try Something New

Why run almost the same play four different times? I've thought about many different things to try rather the same run play knowing you've had problems running the football all season and your OL flat out sucks. In any old game no matter who you're playing should you run the same play four times in a row when your WR corps is among the top in the NFL and an RB who catches well out of the backfield you have to try something new sooner or later in the game of football. I hope this changes next Sunday.
Old 10-12-2009   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Try Something New

Also, when Docket is so good agains the run why continue to run the ball his way? Makes no sence to me.
Old 10-12-2009   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre wasn't even on the field the last 3 downs.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Wow...just...WOW!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why run almost the same play four different times? I've thought about many different things to try rather the same run play knowing you've had problems running the football all season and your OL flat out sucks. In any old game no matter who you're playing should you run the same play four times in a row when your WR corps is among the top in the NFL and an RB who catches well out of the backfield you have to try something new sooner or later in the game of football. I hope this changes next Sunday.
Not only the last four plays, it feels like we run the same running play to the same gap on every running down. I understand Kubes argument that you have to stay committed to the run to keep the defense honest, but why not try to run to a different area? Over five games, I don't think we have run for more than two yards running up the middle...and we are probably averaging a negative gain.

How many times do we have to see Myers, Briesel or Studdard blown back?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #6
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
That is what I don't understand. At minimum, why isn't he lined up wide to take two defensive players out of the equation? There's no way he's not doubled in that situation, and if he draws single coverage it's a TD.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Not only the last four plays, it feels like we run the same running play to the same gap on every running down. I understand Kubes argument that you have to stay committed to the run to keep the defense honest, but why not try to run to a different area? Over five games, I don't think we have run for more than two yards running up the middle...and we are probably averaging a negative gain.

How many times do we have to see Myers, Briesel or Studdard blown back?
The leadership of Pitts on the OL is widely missed. The OL needs a fix up ASAP I think a huge reason why Steve is not running the football like he was last season it seems as if the OL did a better job of pushing the pile to creat holes for Steve last season. Maybe Gary feels like if they have hard time running to one area it might just be the same in other areas I don't know but I say always try something new because you just never know when something different rather than the play you were exspecting to work may get you over the hump.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2009   #8
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
When we run the ball less than 25 times under Kubiak per game, we haven't won a single instance of any of those games...

Kubiak might be right on this one folks.. he's got the data to back it up, just not the linemen to be effective at it. But he should try spreading the formation out, getting some sweeps, some swing passes out of the backfield. There are alternative ways to run the ball besides the screen..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
When we run the ball less than 25 times under Kubiak per game, we haven't won a single instance of any of those games...

Kubiak might be right on this one folks.. he's got the data to back it up, just not the linemen to be effective at it. But he should try spreading the formation out, getting some sweeps, some swing passes out of the backfield. There are alternative ways to run the ball besides the screen..
Absolutely he should spread the formation out. I re-watched the NFL.com's highlights. All 11 players were stacked just about between the hash marks. That's a terrible formation for this team.
Old 10-12-2009   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Absolutely he should spread the formation out. I re-watched the NFL.com's highlights. All 11 players were stacked just about between the hash marks. That's a terrible formation for this team.
Hopefully we'll see that more this week, I think we'll see a big difference.. I still think Matt Schaub isn't the QB we need though but I'll try not to start another one of those wars...

silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

There isn't any reason the best WR in the NFL should not have been on the field.
Old 10-12-2009   #12
lostboy
Undrafted FA

Rep Power: 14 lostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden coverlostboy could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
You mean we're actually allowed to run the ball in places other than where the defense is

"And when we have a boot on an opponent's neck we can't take it off. We can't let up. Bob McNair

Last edited by lostboy; 10-12-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: fat fingered it
lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
Hopefully we'll see that more this week, I think we'll see a big difference.. I still think Matt Schaub isn't the QB we need though but I'll try not to start another one of those wars...

Oh, I'm still not totally sold on Schaub, however I won't join that trane of thought the Schaub lost the game by himself either. Yeah, we don't have the personnel to go into that type of formation.

The other thing I would like to see is; instead of having the I formation with an "H" back coming across in motion is to have three backs set and then moving forward. Look at that final play again. You see Dreessen (I think it is) moving across the formation just as the ball is snapped. He had no leverage whatsoever.
Old 10-12-2009   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
That is what I don't understand. At minimum, why isn't he lined up wide to take two defensive players out of the equation? There's no way he's not doubled in that situation, and if he draws single coverage it's a TD.
Yep.

Quote:
That was driving me crazy. We know we can't punch it in that situation, spread 'em out in a 3 WR/single back set. Run that lil' roll out pass to Daniels, throw the fade at least once to Andre, quick slant, quick pitch to the weak side to Slaton while the OL and everyone goes right, 5 WR set like that sneak he ran in against Miami, something different, anything diffferent. Or at least put a back in there that can go over the top, assuming we have one.
Old 10-12-2009   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

So most of us agree on trying anything. Kyle must not agree.
Old 10-12-2009   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There isn't any reason the best WR in the NFL should not have been on the field.
That's for certain, his decoy power alone might make the opposing D-Coordinator re-think his alignment if nothing else.

IMHO - Play-calling and a couple of mis-reads by Schaub (I still think HE could have run it in behind leach on the bootleg) ultimately cost us the game. Matt had a good game, but he definitely was staring down receivers and wasn't good at all when rolling & on the move to his right. (That was always something that Sage, for all his faults, was far better at).
Old 10-12-2009   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
That's for certain, his decoy power alone might make the opposing D-Coordinator re-think his alignment if nothing else.

IMHO - Play-calling and a couple of mis-reads by Schaub (I still think HE could have run it in behind leach on the bootleg) ultimately cost us the game. Matt had a good game, but he definitely was staring down receivers and wasn't good at all when rolling & on the move to his right. (That was always something that Sage, for all his faults, was far better at).
Andre draws double coverge most of the time leaving someone open somewhere. As strong and big as Leach maybe he should have gotten a shot.
Old 10-12-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wait until we have our big old center Caldwell, our big old TE Anthony Hill and our big old undrafted free agent RB Adrian Foster we will get that TD! Just as soon as they can get on the field.
Old 10-12-2009   #19
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like the pitches to the outside with Slaton put up some yards. I could easily be wrong but it didn't remember many if any at all until this game. I've been wanting to see them run more of them to exploit Slatons burst. Anyone have any thoughts on outside pitches?
Old 10-12-2009   #20
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

The other thing I think they're missing this year is just having AJ long. I know Matt has hit AJ somewhat deep a couple of times, but everytime they go for it even if they don't get it you can really see the defense get nervous and open up a little. Seems like we can run it after just the threat of a deep ball to AJ.

Of course these are observations by a guy with two kids under the age of 2 and 1/2 so you can imagine how little detail I can extract from a game while hearing daddy, daddy, daddy!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read