Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronicle: Kubiak is giving up on the run

Link

Quote:
“When you can’t make a half-yard to win in this league, something’s wrong,” Kubiak said. “We couldn’t run the ball again. I know you guys are tired of hearing it, and I’m tired of saying it.”
Link

Quote:
“We've got to be good enough to make a yard in the National Football League when it counts,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “If you can't, with your best (running play) and the game on the line, then something's wrong.”
Quote:
Kubiak laid most of the blame at the feet of the running game, which averaged less than 3 yards per carry for the fourth time in five starts.

“The O-line has got to take the (blame) for that,” left tackle Duane Brown said. “We're not getting enough of a push. It really (hurts) right now.”

Kubiak hinted he might be ready to stop trying to force the issue with the running game.

“We've got to move the football,” he said. “If we've got to go out there and throw it all the time, that's what we'll do.”
Dang Gary, I could have told you it's the offensive line. And no, Gibbs didn't become a bad coach overnight.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronicle: Kubiak is giving up on the run

I think that quote is reading too much into things:

Presser

The whole quote:

Quote:
(on the struggles running the ball) "It's tough. We're not running the ball. I've said that every week and I'll start that off by saying it again. But we gotta do what we gotta do. If we gotta go out there and throw it, then we're going to throw it. We're going to move the football and we did in the second half. We moved it extremely well. The one big turnover is the difference in winning and losing, but we still had a chance there at the end to tie the football game."
Old 10-12-2009   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Gary....

There's this new-fangled thing called a screen pass that I heard does wonders for opening up a running game.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen the screen used quite a bit.

What I do want to see more of is . . . Ryan Moats.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Hey Gary....

There's this new-fangled thing called a screen pass that I heard does wonders for opening up a running game.
And we did okay with that.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101434 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Link

Link

Dang Gary, I could have told you it's the offensive line. And no, Gibbs didn't become a bad coach overnight.
I think Cushing is going to be a very good player but I still think you dont pass up quality OL early in the draft until you have five guys that can start and compete on an very high level. Oher and Mack could of made a huge difference for the next decade.

I will never agree with the Denver idea of drafting OL late and trying to sculp them into something. That worked fine when cut blocking was legal but just dont cut it anymore. You have to have the horses up front or you will fail when it really matters if you are going to insist on being a run first offense.

Kubiack giving up on the run could be the best thing that has happened to this team. Take a look at Indy or NO for example. Both have such explosive passing games it makes their runnig game go. This offense has the skill players to be on that level. Hopefully this will be a evoloutionary revalation for this offense and we will become the next elite passing team.
Old 10-12-2009   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Hey Gary....

We ran an inordinate amount of screens yesterday.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
We ran an inordinate amount of screens yesterday.
I guess I'm talking generally. It doesn't seem like we've been running the screen pass much to establish the run this season. Especially early in the games.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

DUH!! Payton Manning and the Colts don't depend on their running game, and look where they are! Five games with over 300 passing yds!! I wonder if MS has that in him! We have the receivers, we have the TE! Why not give it a try! JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Am I wrong in thinking that when we decided to be a pass oriented team last year, that the running game opened up?

My memory is really screwy, but I could have sworn that was the biggest difference between the beginning of the year, and the way we finished (top three in total offense). We were known for being explosive on 1st & 2nd down, and that's what teams prepared for, which backed the LBs up, backed the safeties up, and we were able to play one on one on the line, and create some space for Ryan Moats & Steve Slaton.

& if we've decided to go with a RBBC, which I thought we did 4 years ago, why in the heck do we not see Ryan Moats other than on special teams? We can rotate guards, but we can't rotate RBs? I think it's playing with the devil, tempting fate, when you keep sticking Slaton out there for 20+ carries.

Don't make no sense.
Old 10-12-2009   #11
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've seen the screen used quite a bit.

What I do want to see more of is . . . Ryan Moats.
U make a good point.. IMO Brown's been pretty much giving the same as slaton.. In last weeks game.. Moat's came in and gave a spark to the running game, reminding me of sproles.. and when Slaton became threatened.. he stepped his game up and got some TD's for us.. Moats seems faster than slaton at the moment.. and he compliment him better imo
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Chronicle: Kubiak is giving up on the run

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that when we decided to be a pass oriented team last year, that the running game opened up?
If Kubiak thought about using the pass to open up a run game, his head would expload.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Ben Frank;1273740]U make a good point.. IMO Brown's been pretty much giving the same as slaton.. In last weeks game.. Moat's came in and gave a spark to the running game, reminding me of sproles.. and when Slaton became threatened.. he stepped his game up and got some TD's for us.. Moats seems faster than slaton at the moment.. and he compliment him better imo[/QUOTE It was confirmed to me on another thread that Moats has turf toe. We do not have the Oline to power in from the five or less. Myers got shoved back on last play but that could happen to a stronger center. Where is Caldwell in that situation? Anyone remember the overwhelming review from this MB on how he was the starter game 1?
Old 10-12-2009   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
U make a good point.. IMO Brown's been pretty much giving the same as slaton.. In last weeks game.. Moat's came in and gave a spark to the running game, reminding me of sproles.. and when Slaton became threatened.. he stepped his game up and got some TD's for us.. Moats seems faster than slaton at the moment.. and he compliment him better imo
Moats did seem to give some sort of spark, but gauging anything from the Raider's game IMO is tough. I mean lil Davie Carr pump faked his way into the end zone against them.

What I'd rather see is them get creative in the running game. We obviously can't get push up the middle consistently. So use plays that try to get the running backs to the edge of the field. Let Moats and Slaton use their quickness to their advantage for once. Run some stretch plays behind Brown and Daniels. Try some tosses to the outside.

Why do I get the sick feeling that the game has passed Gary up? He seems stuck on the late 90's Denver Broncos.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm stunned that he considers that their best run play.
Old 10-12-2009   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we not have a running back that can leap over the mass of humanity that is our flatened O-Line?
Old 10-12-2009   #17
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Chronicle: Kubiak is giving up on the run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Do we not have a running back that can leap over the mass of humanity that is our flatened O-Line?
Schaub said you don't do that any more in the NFL.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm stunned that he considers that their best run play.
Why, haven't you seen it before?

I have on more than one occasion. And one occasion I had front row seats to the goalline disaster vs. the Jags where he called this exact same play 3 times in a row and failed. To be honest, i've not seen it successfully work yet.

I'm just sayin'...I don't get paid to study them and I know exactly what unfolds out of that lineup in that situation. I'll bet the Cardinals DL did too.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I was thinking the same thing when reading the first post. If that's the best running play - I think there's more issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Schaub said you don't do that any more in the NFL.
True - only QB's are allowed to leave their feet. (either when making a pass or trying to gain that extra yard)
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64027 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

The middle of our line is getting no push way to often, and the epicenter of this crisis is the C. Myers is undersized and under-strenghted for the position in this day and age. Until we get a real C, this is going to be a problem. Maybe if the guards were excellent we could cover for him, but it ain't like they are all that and a bag of chips themselves. We need interior line help bigtime.

This is a finessse line, built on quickness and athletism. So, quit pretending to be a smash mouth team up front. This group couldn't move a deck of cards an inch and I'm telling you Myers is the biggest issue. On the 4th down play he was totally outmanned and outgunned and that penetration ruined the play.

And WTH is the matter with Chris Brown. You either have to jump the pile in that situation, or get yourself low and drive those legs to try and sneak that ball in under the pile. One or the other. Instead he just ran with his normal upright style. That won't get it done unless the line opens a really nice hole.

Last edited by Porky; 10-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read