Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Holy Cr*p... Refs screwed us!

Okay, so I'm not exactly going to blame this loss on the Refs. But, after rewatching the end of the game, I have less of a beef with the playcall... because...

On 3rd and goal, the ball was well inside the one yard line. We needed about 1ft for a TD. When the refs replaced the ball for 4th down the ball was outside the 1 yard line. The respot cost us an entire yard. When you're inches away, that playcall makes more sense. And, there's no way a coach on the sideline, stuck between the 20s, can see the poor spot.

that was a pretty big gaffe by the Refs. Though, I still dislike the call and I really dislike Schaub's errant throw on the play before.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Holy Cr*p... Refs screwed us!

i actually have a couple questions about the rules in this one. how much pushing is allowed from a receiver? i hadnt noticed before, but fitz runs his routes with a series of stiffarms. i'm getting a bit fuzzy but one of his touchdowns was a good example of that pushoff, and he had a couple others in the first half. the other is removing your helmet on the field ... i thought that was illegal, but warner when frustrasted had the helmet off between the hash marks several times.

i'm not really concerned about their game impact, just looking for some clarification.
Old 10-12-2009   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i couldnt figure out why that 4th down play was from the 1. i was going to rewatch it tomorrow. arizona got the ball back on about the 3 inch line, so we made nine inches. if the ball was marked correctly we win. i'm just going to pretend like we won. it will be a nicer week and i wont owe anyone a diet coke.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i couldnt figure out why that 4th down play was from the 1. i was going to rewatch it tomorrow. arizona got the ball back on about the 3 inch line, so we made nine inches. if the ball was marked correctly we win. i'm just going to pretend like we won. it will be a nicer week and i wont owe anyone a diet coke.
If the ball was spotted correctly we would have gone in for the tie. We'd still have to win in OT.
Old 10-12-2009   #5
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
If the ball was spotted correctly we would have gone in for the tie. We'd still have to win in OT.
Not necessarily. After scoring a TD on 4th Down the Texans could have decided to attempt a 2 point conversion, and if succesful they would have won in regulation time.
Old 10-12-2009   #6
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35830 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Not necessarily. After scoring a TD on 4th Down the Texans could have decided to attempt a 2 point conversion, and if succesful they would have won in regulation time.
Except a 2 point conversion is from the 2 or 3 yardline, not the 6 inch line. So how would we go for 2? A pass out the back of the end zone, or 12 running plays?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Except a 2 point conversion is from the 2 or 3 yardline, not the 6 inch line. So how would we go for 2? A pass out the back of the end zone, or 12 running plays?
Yes, I know the spot for a 2 point conversion attempt is not the 6 inch mark. I would guess that the Texans would run a play-action pass to a TE or something like that for the 2 point conversion. My point was it was possible to go for the win there in regulation time, and not play for OT.
Old 10-12-2009   #8
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

We still would have had to stop Arizona from going down the field...
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Another refs thread. (shaking head)
Old 10-12-2009   #10
davemundy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Okay, so I'm not exactly going to blame this loss on the Refs. But, after rewatching the end of the game, I have less of a beef with the playcall... because...

On 3rd and goal, the ball was well inside the one yard line. We needed about 1ft for a TD. When the refs replaced the ball for 4th down the ball was outside the 1 yard line. The respot cost us an entire yard. When you're inches away, that playcall makes more sense. And, there's no way a coach on the sideline, stuck between the 20s, can see the poor spot.

that was a pretty big gaffe by the Refs. Though, I still dislike the call and I really dislike Schaub's errant throw on the play before.
Spots always change like that, and I'm sure if we hear from a ref we'll find out. Nine inches or one yard, though, the point was, Houston didn't get into the end zone, period.
davemundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
We still would have had to stop Arizona from going down the field...
They scored 0 points in the 3rd/4th quarters offesively
Old 10-12-2009   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
They scored 0 points in the 3rd/4th quarters offesively
What does that matter? We still would have had to stop then regardless though right?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemundy View Post
Spots always change like that, and I'm sure if we hear from a ref we'll find out. Nine inches or one yard, though, the point was, Houston didn't get into the end zone, period.
And you also never know where the knee hit before the ball was extended, etc. I've thought spots were wrong before depending on the ball and then I see where the ball was when the knee actually hit and they are pretty close.
Old 10-12-2009   #14
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i actually have a couple questions about the rules in this one. how much pushing is allowed from a receiver? i hadnt noticed before, but fitz runs his routes with a series of stiffarms. i'm getting a bit fuzzy but one of his touchdowns was a good example of that pushoff, and he had a couple others in the first half. the other is removing your helmet on the field ... i thought that was illegal, but warner when frustrasted had the helmet off between the hash marks several times.

i'm not really concerned about their game impact, just looking for some clarification.
I was thinking the same thing during the game and will rewatch it again tonight or tomorrow. I could have sworn the Fitz stiffarmed Dunta in the face and pushed off on the TD and on an earlier play that the did a replay on and couldn't believe it wasn't called back. I was at a bar so couldn't hear the sound so not sure if they talked about it or not, but it was an obvious push off to me....(oh...it was on a comback route that Dunta was pushed off on and where he slipped leaving the WR wide open) and looking like Dunta blew the coverage.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I was thinking the same thing during the game and will rewatch it again tonight or tomorrow. I could have sworn the Fitz stiffarmed Dunta in the face and pushed off on the TD and on an earlier play that the did a replay on and couldn't believe it wasn't called back. I was at a bar so couldn't hear the sound so not sure if they talked about it or not, but it was an obvious push off to me....(oh...it was on a comback route that Dunta was pushed off on and where he slipped leaving the WR wide open) and looking like Dunta blew the coverage.
They didn't talk about it about it all, but Fitz pushed off of Dunta bigtime, then crossed the back of the endzone with Dunta trailing and trying to catch back up. There was a good few seconds from the push off until the pass, he covered a lot of ground so I guess the refs missed it somehow, it looked obvious to me, he extended his arm and that is what the refs are supposed to look for, that easily should have came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

I haven't rewatched it yet, and don't know if I will this week, but didn't we get pushed back about a 1/2 yard on 3rd down, and that's why we had further to go on 4th down.

That's how I remember it just watching it once.
Old 10-12-2009   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
And you also never know where the knee hit before the ball was extended, etc. I've thought spots were wrong before depending on the ball and then I see where the ball was when the knee actually hit and they are pretty close.
I thought the spots were conservative to put it kindly all day by this particular reffing crew. Will not say it affected the game although obviously things like that can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

If you are referring to Fitz' 2nd TD what it looked like to me was Dunta pushed himself backwards off Fitz in the endzone.

You are right on the helmet rule but they are going to let vets get away with that most of the time if they do not do it to yell at someone else.
Old 10-12-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I thought the spots were conservative to put it kindly all day by this particular reffing crew. Will not say it affected the game although obviously things like that can.

If you are referring to Fitz' 2nd TD what it looked like to me was Dunta pushed himself backwards off Fitz in the endzone.

You are right on the helmet rule but they are going to let vets get away with that most of the time if they do not do it to yell at someone else.
Could have been. I didn't see the replay of that particular play. I just see the guys run in sometimes and I'm incredulous until I see it in slo-mo.
Old 10-12-2009   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
What does that matter? We still would have had to stop then regardless though right?
You're correct, but given the way our defense played in the second half, and the fact that there would have been about 40 seconds left in regulation when we kicked off, I would have kind of liked our chances of sending it into overtime.
Old 10-12-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Could have been. I didn't see the replay of that particular play. I just see the guys run in sometimes and I'm incredulous until I see it in slo-mo.
I wasn't really referring to the goal line plays. Throughout the game I was seeing balls placed at the knees or hips instead of where the ball had advanced to when the knee touched. I saw it for both teams although it felt like it was more to the Texans, but that may be because OD, SS, Walter and AJ are all good at trying to extend for the last possible yard.
Old 10-12-2009   #20
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
They didn't talk about it about it all, but Fitz pushed off of Dunta bigtime, then crossed the back of the endzone with Dunta trailing and trying to catch back up. There was a good few seconds from the push off until the pass, he covered a lot of ground so I guess the refs missed it somehow, it looked obvious to me, he extended his arm and that is what the refs are supposed to look for, that easily should have came back.

I haven't rewatched it yet, and don't know if I will this week, but didn't we get pushed back about a 1/2 yard on 3rd down, and that's why we had further to go on 4th down.

That's how I remember it just watching it once.
3rd down was a incomplete pass. i havent watched it again yet. i just remember thinking it was weird then i saw this post.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read