Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112269 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Find us a coach that knows how to win close games

I'm so sick of hearing the garbage about Kubiak being this HC that's headed for greatness. All the guy does is lose games when they are in the palm of his hands. Blame it on the players, call them fluke situations, call it bad luck, whatever! But the bottom line is that this HC loses time after time when the Texans are so close and just right there, but something bad always happens. A bad call, a bad fumble, a pick, a Rosencopter play, and etc. You never know what it's going to be, but you just know that it's going to happen. Smart head coaches know how to consistently win these types of games. They may not win all of them, but they win most of them and find ways to win in the end. Gary Kubiak consistently loses in these situations and doesn't know how to close a team or knock them in the dirt and stomp on their face. He knows how to coach a team that slips at the end.

Bring in a coach that can manage games and win them. I'm sick of this 8-8 crap, because that's exactly where this team is heading. This team has shown time and time again, that it's got a ton of potential to become a great team, but they don't have a guy that can get them there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Find us a coach that knows how to win close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm so sick of hearing the garbage about Kubiak being this HC that's headed for greatness. All the guy does is lose games when they are in the palm of his hands. Blame it on the players, call them fluke situations, call it bad luck, whatever! But the bottom line is that this HC loses time after time when the Texans are so close and just right there, but something bad always happens. A bad call, a bad fumble, a pick, a Rosencopter play, and etc. You never know what it's going to be, but you just know that it's going to happen. Smart head coaches know how to consistently win these types of games. They may not win all of them, but they win most of them and find ways to win in the end. Gary Kubiak consistently loses in these situations and doesn't know how to close a team or knock them in the dirt and stomp on their face. He knows how to coach a team that slips at the end.

Bring in a coach that can manage games and win them. I'm sick of this 8-8 crap, because that's exactly where this team is heading. This team has shown time and time again, that it's got a ton of potential to become a great team, but they don't have a guy that can get them there.
So close yet so far. take two get some rest & call me in the morning about 8:00 AM on sports radio 610
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #3
Ckw

Quote:

I don't think you are totally wrong but the loss today is anyone but Kubiak's fault. His second half adjustments were spectacular, although I still hold our 1st half play against him, but the loss was not Kubiak's fault. We had a great play to set up 2nd and goal but Brown couldn't get it in. Then another great play is called on the pass but Schaub blows the play and overthrows his target and then our offensive line sucks so bad that they can't even get enough of a push to get Brown into the end zone.

Kubiak may or may not be a good coach. His second half adjustments have gotten much better, he is better on challenges, and his clock management has been much better. Overall, I would say Kubiak is much better this year than in years past, and he may or may not put it all together.
Old 10-12-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112269 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I don't think you are totally wrong but the loss today is anyone but Kubiak's fault. His second half adjustments were spectacular, although I still hold our 1st half play against him, but the loss was not Kubiak's fault. We had a great play to set up 2nd and goal but Brown couldn't get it in. Then another great play is called on the pass but Schaub blows the play and overthrows his target and then our offensive line sucks so bad that they can't even get enough of a push to get Brown into the end zone.

Kubiak may or may not be a good coach. His second half adjustments have gotten much better, he is better on challenges, and his clock management has been much better. Overall, I would say Kubiak is much better this year than in years past, and he may or may not put it all together.
At the end of the day with him as the HC, this team doesn't KNOW HOW TO WIN. THey only know how to lose. I'm so sick of these "so close and almost there BUT............." games. Kubiak is a guy that doesn't know how to put teams away and come out on the winning side. I don't care about the good things and the bad things anymore. I care about WINS. That's what matters and this guy isn't a winner. He's a average HC and a guy that knows offense to a degree, but he's no guy that I want coaching my team. There are always epic blunders under his watch whether they are his fault or not, they still keep happening. I want a coach that coaches a team where this doesn't happen for several years and where players find ways to win and not fall short or not have epic meltdowns in every tight situation.
Old 10-12-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post

I think that is the perfect phrase for him. may or may not be a good coach. It sounds just like the .500 ball his team plays.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If they lose to Cincinnati or San Fran, I think I may concede. I think this team is on the cusp of playing really good football in all phases. I'm thrilled with the growth of the defense. But, if they can't go get a tough game at Cincy (but very winnable) and follow it up with a good performance against an undermanned SF team, then I will be forced to agree that Kubiak probably isn't the kind of leader this team needs. I fully expect to be 5-3 and trying to figure out how we can steal a game at INDY.. Anything less than 5-3 given the talent on this team (relative to: Cincy, SF, Buffalo) and it's good health, will be a failure on the part of the coaching staff.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If they lose to Cincinnati or San Fran, I think I may concede. I think this team is on the cusp of playing really good football in all phases. I'm thrilled with the growth of the defense. But, if they can't go get a tough game at Cincy (but very winnable) and follow it up with a good performance against an undermanned SF team, then I will be forced to agree that Kubiak probably isn't the kind of leader this team needs. I fully expect to be 5-3 and trying to figure out how we can steal a game at INDY.. Anything less than 5-3 given the talent on this team (relative to: Cincy, SF, Buffalo) and it's good health, will be a failure on the part of the coaching staff.
It's already been there, it's just that many of you "want" to believe that he just needs a little more time, but more time is just going to bring more failures and in reality there have been far enough failures already in such ridiculous situations now to see the writing on the wall.

You know what I've seen in this team? I've finally seen a team that can be a really good team and possibly a great team with just a few tweaks and twists and with a real voice in that locker room that can get these guys to believe that they're a great team and that they should win every game. Kubiak doesn't have any idea how to do that. He knows how to get an offense going and certain things that work, but he doesn't know how to make a team believe that they be like the Colts where they are supposed to win.

This team has shown me now that I can become a believer that they're ready to become a great team. They just need a HC that can win games and get them there.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2009   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think that is the perfect phrase for him. may or may not be a good coach. It sounds just like the .500 ball his team plays.
LMAO.......man, ain't that the truth
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #9
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't understand this kind of argument.

We 'knew' how to win, when beating the Titans, who we shouldn't have, in the situation we dug ourselves into. Did we forget again today?

No, we simply lost the game. Its not about mentality, its not about being a 'winning' team or a 'losing' team, its about just being edged out in the end.

Do we only employ a coach/assistant that has won 'x' number of Superbowls? Romeo Crennel Do we employ the flavor of the month college coach of the moment, like, say Saban?

We lost a close game of football. Another day we would have won it (and we did against the Titans). Thats about all there is to it. You can mull over the mistakes/great plays of the game, but its not about 'winningness' or anything like that.
Old 10-12-2009   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
I just don't understand this kind of argument.

We 'knew' how to win, when beating the Titans, who we shouldn't have, in the situation we dug ourselves into. Did we forget again today?

No, we simply lost the game. Its not about mentality, its not about being a 'winning' team or a 'losing' team, its about just being edged out in the end.

Do we only employ a coach/assistant that has won 'x' number of Superbowls? Romeo Crennel Do we employ the flavor of the month college coach of the moment, like, say Saban?

We lost a close game of football. Another day we would have won it (and we did against the Titans). Thats about all there is to it. You can mull over the mistakes/great plays of the game, but its not about 'winningness' or anything like that.
So why even have head coaches in the NFL? Sorry, but a good coach can do more with less. We came out flat as hell and stayed flat throughout the first half...that helped cost us the ball game. We weren't ready to play. You're right though, this wasn't ALL on Kubiak, but he is also responsible for the loss........just wait, he'll tell you himself tomorrow . (tap, tap, tap, tap......goes the fingers)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #11
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not sure how winnable that cincy game is. that and the indy game may be our 2 toughest road games all year.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
not sure how winnable that cincy game is. that and the indy game may be our 2 toughest road games all year.
Arizona and Indy are the two toughest rode games of the year. I'm not suggesting that Arizona is better than Cincy. But, they are a much tougher matchup for us and an excellent home team. If we play well, we beat Cincy.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #13
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So why even have head coaches in the NFL? Sorry, but a good coach can do more with less. We came out flat as hell and stayed flat throughout the first half...that helped cost us the ball game. We weren't ready to play. You're right though, this wasn't ALL on Kubiak, but he is also responsible for the loss........just wait, he'll tell you himself tomorrow . (tap, tap, tap, tap......goes the fingers)
A head coach will always have responsibility for a loss, alongside a multitude of others. As a matter of fact, I put a good sized portion of blame for this loss on Kubiak, I think the play-calling was very suspect at times, I would like to know what adjustments were made for the 2nd half (as I saw it, there weren't many to the offense, which leads me to suspect that there was at most a motivation issue there, at least, just 'one of those days' where things aren't clicking).

But, that is picking holes out of what I genuinely believe was a pretty decent performance, which we got edged out in. The way I see it is, without Kubes and his team doing a sterling job with the offense, that I am fairly confident wouldn't have been done under another coach. Schaub's QB play has come on leaps and bounds from when he first joined us, we have manage to acquire a very nice group of WRs and TEs that haven't cost very much (i.e. we don't need to pay R.Williams money for a decent number 2). The only thing that still needs going over is the Oline, and that is still very much work in progress.

Defensively, I can sure as hell see how much it has improved over last years defense. Heck, we even saw Reeves come in, make plays and attack the ball (I can't remember singing his praises a whole ton last year...). Our linebackers are solid, our Dline is looking pretty nice. We're moving forward, in a way which can produce long term stability, and a solid team for a good 5/6 years to come, and not produce the superficial Browns/Dolphins success which is great in the short term, but soon falls flat on its face.
Old 10-12-2009   #14
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree.. any change at the HC position would set us years back. Say goodbye to AJ, Demeco and OD. The Texans are better than they were last year at this time and continue to make progress. They say this is a game of inches and yesterday was an example of how close this team is to be a winning team. No need to set them back by miles.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I disagree.. any change at the HC position would set us years back.
Signed,

Sean Payton
Tony Sparano
and Mike Smith
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arizona and Indy are the two toughest rode games of the year. I'm not suggesting that Arizona is better than Cincy. But, they are a much tougher matchup for us and an excellent home team. If we play well, we beat Cincy.
I dont know Dalemurphy, they look pretty good against the Ravens. They made several mistakes in that game but were able to overcome them. They seem to be coming together as a team. I think we are catching them at the worst possible time.
Old 10-12-2009   #17
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I disagree.. any change at the HC position would set us years back. Say goodbye to AJ, Demeco and OD. The Texans are better than they were last year at this time and continue to make progress. They say this is a game of inches and yesterday was an example of how close this team is to be a winning team. No need to set them back by miles.

I don't know if this is right or wrong. I have been thinking about this all morning. There is an argument that if we bring someone new in, we are starting all over again. I guess that depends on the guy.

I do think that you find a coach that recognizes that we have 95% of the pieces in place and can figure out how to fill that void, without tearing everything apart. Sometimes, you just need a new voice to get you over the hump.

I think this team is on the cusp. The truth is, this team hasn't come out and played 4 quarters of football in a game. I know, I know...no team plays well every quarter all year, but it shouldn't be the exception to the rule. Heck, if we play 3 quarters of good football on offense and defense, we are probably 3-2, maybe 4-1 right now.

Kubes has 11 games to show what he can do. These close losses aren't doing anything for him. I think we have to win 10 games for him to save his job.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Signed,

Sean Payton
Tony Sparano
and Mike Smith
You left off Rex Ryan
Old 10-12-2009   #19
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak didn't throw that Interception that put the Cardinals back in the lead, nor did he over throw a receiver in the endzone at any point in the game.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #20
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You left off Rex Ryan
....and Josh McDaniels.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read