Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2009   #1
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Match up no one is talking about

I see the obvious postings of Fitz vs AJ. A possible Warner/Schaub shoot out. Each WR corps against the opponents secondary.

Two guys I've barely seen mentioned are Hightower and Wells. I'm just not convinced that the Raiders game was a get well game for the Texans like some fans have seemed to convince themselves. What scares me more is some fans saying we're playing the same team.

Yes we managed to shut down McFadden and Bush, but we were able to pretty much play the game with 8 in the box because no one is scared of Jamarcus Russell beating them.

This Sunday is a totally different team obviously. We won't be able to get away with putting 8 in the box. If we HAVE to put 8 in the box during the game we're in BIG BIG trouble. Pollard's game in the pat has been predicated on playing more in the box then coverage, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you have a secondary that can pick it up. We don't have that luxury.

What we really have to hope isn't just that the front 4 are able to apply pressure to Warner, but that the front seven can contain the run. If not and we have to drop Pollard down in the box and the front 4 isn't getting pressure on Warner. That's a green light for Fitz and Co., hopefully if that's the case our offense is putting up points as well.

I really want to be confident about this game, but despite what other people might think the matchups in this game make me nervous. The other guy on the Cards that makes me nervous is Dockett getting loose on the interior of the OL. It's a week after a bye as well and they're playing to get back to .500. :/
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #2
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Match up no one is talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I see the obvious postings of Fitz vs AJ. A possible Warner/Schaub shoot out. Each WR corps against the opponents secondary.

Two guys I've barely seen mentioned are Hightower and Wells. I'm just not convinced that the Raiders game was a get well game for the Texans like some fans have seemed to convince themselves. What scares me more is some fans saying we're playing the same team.

Yes we managed to shut down McFadden and Bush, but we were able to pretty much play the game with 8 in the box because no one is scared of Jamarcus Russell beating them.

This Sunday is a totally different team obviously. We won't be able to get away with putting 8 in the box. If we HAVE to put 8 in the box during the game we're in BIG BIG trouble. Pollard's game in the pat has been predicated on playing more in the box then coverage, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you have a secondary that can pick it up. We don't have that luxury.

What we really have to hope isn't just that the front 4 are able to apply pressure to Warner, but that the front seven can contain the run. If not and we have to drop Pollard down in the box and the front 4 isn't getting pressure on Warner. That's a green light for Fitz and Co., hopefully if that's the case our offense is putting up points as well.

I really want to be confident about this game, but despite what other people might think the matchups in this game make me nervous. The other guy on the Cards that makes me nervous is Dockett getting loose on the interior of the OL. It's a week after a bye as well and they're playing to get back to .500. :/
I disagree somewhat, I've mentioned that match-up and think we need to be more worried about getting to Warner then Hightower or Wells who are struggling and fumbling, they have a worst run game than us, and they don't really run much...pass heavy offense of course. If anything he may get some catches in the passing game. I've haven't heard that they are the same as the Raiders from anyone...that's ridiculous... I have heard that they are the same team as us which is true in a lot of ways..
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we do this again. The Cards running game doesn't scare me and I think you put 8 in the box just like you did against the Raiders, keep their running game in check and try to kill Kurt Warner if you can. Accept that they're going to do some damage through the air but make them do everything through the air. Make them one dimensional and hope you can force them to make some mistakes.

And hope that your offense shows up to offset whatever damage they do.
Old 10-09-2009   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think we do this again. The Cards running game doesn't scare me and I think you put 8 in the box just like you did against the Raiders, keep their running game in check and try to kill Kurt Warner if you can. Accept that they're going to do some damage through the air but make them do everything through the air. Make them one dimensional and hope you can force them to make some mistakes.

And hope that your offense shows up to offset whatever damage they do.
Challenge Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Hightower, et al to beat you through the air? That sounds very risky to me; it plays to their strength.

I think it will be a shootout no matter what the defense tries though.
Old 10-09-2009   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Beanie fumbles and hightower is only threatening in the passing game. That's the last thing from the cardinals im worried about is their running game.
Old 10-09-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a matchup no one is talking about... and for good reason LOL

Look at the picture in this Madden simulation of the game sunday

http://espn.go.com/videogames/simula...010?id=4540979
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post

How are we gonna get the two Ints without him pressuring Warner in the middle?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2009   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!
Old 10-09-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That brings us to the point; whether our interior D-linemen can keep up their good work from the last game. I think that will be the key to the game.
Old 10-09-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That brings us to the point; whether our interior D-linemen can keep up their good work from the last game. I think that will be the key to the game.
I think taking advantage of their stiff tackles is just as vital as interior pressure... I'm gonna predict Barwin gets his first sack this weekend.. Mario goes for 2+...
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #11
davemundy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

BOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!
Hehehe, I kind of like that angle. Too bad I'll never play an EA Sports game again after what they did last year (quit making games for PC). I was sooooo hoping they'd give me a new NFL Head Coach, I love the snot out of that game now that I've learned how to adjust the sliders and cut down on the interceptions.
davemundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I look at that picture and there is a gigantic "99 Johnson" in the picture with Warner looking to throw the ball.

fail.

E: Also, same exact score as Jags game.
Old 10-09-2009   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Challenge Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Hightower, et al to beat you through the air? That sounds very risky to me; it plays to their strength.

I think it will be a shootout no matter what the defense tries though.
I agree, but I don't see that we have much of a choice in the matter. I figure we either win this one or get blown out, I really don't expect us to lose a "close" one on the road in AZ. Pin the ears back and let's play Kill Kurt.
Old 10-09-2009   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think taking advantage of their stiff tackles is just as vital as interior pressure... I'm gonna predict Barwin gets his first sack this weekend.. Mario goes for 2+...
That part is a given.
With pressure up the middle, it will be easier for our DEs and LBs to get a sack and to give Warner the run-around!
Old 10-09-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

surging Texans? Beating the Raiders qualifies as a surge? Too bad the Cardinals can't use the Raiders offensive line. That is the only line I've ever seen get dominated by our group. I was watching an earlier Raider game and said to myself that those guys couldn't block email. My opinion didn't change last week either...go figure.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #16
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see this as a win. Houston will take momentum and deliver Arizona a blow that will leave them thinking about draft picks next year.
Old 10-10-2009   #17
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Rep Power: 279 JMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what the defensive stats are at this point, our defense has never played with this much energy except for maybe 2002. They're gradually getting better and look MUCH better than the last few years. It'll come around and I actually look forward to watching the D rather than the O now. Warner and Schaub are two of the best at recognizing the blitz so it should be interesting to see how the D's attack. Our QB is just a little more "Fragile: This Side Up".
JMacaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #18
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, without Travis Johnson, as pictured, we should have a little better chance to win.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read