Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2009   #41
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Rep Power: 279 JMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: B.C. Before Cushing

Quote:
Mays doesn't run a 4.2........I highly doubt he'll even turn out a 4.3 at the combine.
Somebody missed the pre-draft hype before he decided to stay another year. I say 4.43...who cares? He's a big badass safety better than anybody that we currently have, he just has hands like stonewall jackson.
JMacaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #42
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Rep Power: 279 JMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: B.C. Before Cushing

6'4 guy running a 4.2 would scare me a little, didn't say that he actually did. The rumor was that he did at USC at some point. Not sure the date, time, wind conditions or attendance, but it might not be 100% accurate.
Old 10-11-2009   #43
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Teams are going to question why Taylor Mays only has 5 interceptions in 4 years (well he has 5 right now). Eric Berry has 13 interceptions in 3 years (well he has 13 right now) and has run 3 of them back for TD's. No TD's for Mays.

Yes Mays can hit and is big as hell for a safety (I question whether he'll run a 4.2 - 4.3 but that's what the combine/pro days are for) but there are inherent flaws in his game. Eric Berry looks like Ed Reed reincarnated right now and he has a lot less help in his defense than Mays has had over his college career.

EDIT: As far as the "hits like a champ" aspect of Berry's game I submit this. Yes I know the music sucks but oh wells.
WOW! Hadn't seen any of this guy. Thanks for the video. I heard the guy say he avg.'s 34 yrds. per return. Looks like he hits pretty good too. I doubt we have a shot without trading waaaaaaaaaaay up. Atleast I hope that is what we would have to do to get into the top 5-10. And on the subject I think Cush has a great shot a DROY if he stays healthy.
Old 10-11-2009   #44
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Berry would be an upgrade to any D in the league, especially ours. He's top notch, once in a decade. But "settling" for Mays? Sounds like Atwater...and you know how we like the old Broncos..
Old 10-11-2009   #45
whiskeyrbl

What about Reshad Jones from Georgia? Looks like a top tier Safety also.
Old 10-11-2009   #46
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Talking Re: B.C. Before Cushing

you're right, I just think Mays has that Cushing mentality with that hit he put on that Penn State receiver last year. We're likely to get neither Berry or Mays so we'll see.....but Cushing at LB and Mays hitting like that at safety.....just makes me smile
Old 10-11-2009   #47
DavidC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Have to take issue with that statement. Even taking into account the Casserly years, our second round picks have been pretty good when we've deigned to use them at the draft podium. These are all the second-round picks of the Texans, in order: Jabar Gaffney, Chester Pitts, Bennie Joppru, DeMeco Ryans, Connor Barwin. Pitts and Ryans were excellent picks. Gaffney was an OK one, and Joppru busted because of injuries. Jury is still obviously out on Barwin; heck, we're barely into the trial for him.

It's been when we've tried to get tricky with our second rounders that we ran into serious trouble. Burning one to take Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft. Trading another (and a slew of later picks) to Bud Adams in order to draft Jason Babin. Trading yet another for Philip Buchanon. The only trade we made involving second-rounders that wasn't a complete disaster was the Schaub deal, and we're still debating whether two seconds was too steep a price (my take: we got a steal, but I'm biased).

As for the question about trading up from a theoretical draft slot of 19 to get pick #8, we'd be giving up 1265 points (#19 is 875 and the second rounder is 390) to get a 1400 point pick. Going strictly on the point chart, that's a bit unbalanced. However, top 10 picks are financial albatrosses these days, and teams may be chomping at the bit to trade out of the top ten, so #8 could go for that deal.

I still doubt I'd do that deal, though. I've heard there are as many as four projected first round safeties. If so, then we should get one of them so long as we aren't picking at the very end of draft. And if we do end up with such a late pick, maybe our need at safety isn't so urgent after all.
I agree completely with you about Texans not blowing second round picks, but giving them away too often. The 2nd round is full of great role players for football teams, and usually they get signed for 4-5 years at a very low price.

The Texans have been part of 8 drafts so far, but only have 5 2nd round picks (2 in the inaugural season). Pitts was entrenched on the line since day one, and Ryans has been to the pro-bowl. Gaffney would have been better in Houston, if he had someone better to throw to him, just look at what he did for the Patriots for a couple of years; he was a role player, but with drafting AJ the next year did we need more than that out of him? He is still in the league, playing for a team with a 4-0 record.

My point is that you cannot give away second round picks, and hope to hit later in the draft. I have felt for years that the problem we have had with depth on this team is due to a lack of 2nd round picks. I would rather see the Texans trade down next year, and take someone's 1st and 2nd round pick than see them trade up for a higher 1st. I would rather see us draft 3 players in the top 2 rounds than only 1 that we really like who may turn out to be a bust; at least with three players your odds go down dramatically on bust potential.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read