Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2009   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: B.C. Before Cushing

Cush has been doing everything else but sacks those will come though.
Old 10-09-2009   #22
davemundy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Posting on another thread about my prediction of a win Sunday, I found myself gushing about Cushing. Soon, I think we will be refering to the Texans as BC (Before Cushing). Most of you know I was not interested in drafting a linebacker in the first. Nothing against Cush or Matthews for that matter. I wanted a DT or Malcom Jenkins. It was great to see Cush play so well especially after the oh oh here we go injury. Yet that is just one side. I am even more interested in the fiery leader that he can become and that we do not have. Sure one can point to only four games but is there any indicator he is going to do anything but get better skill wise?

Dunta? He can lay the wood, sometimes, but really needs to get back into the groove. He also has to win back many fans. I think DR and the others especially Okoye and Diles will benefit from Brian's play and his take no prisoner mentality. He is the type player that motivate the offense. AJ could be the vocal point but it will be interesting to see how he expresses himself during this game. Will he just be a good receiver or will he continue with his recent "I'm going to beat you and there is nothing you can do" attitude we recently marveled at.

I think if Cushing continues and remains healthy, it will be like getting two players with one pick. Now if we could just get Taylor Mays ...
I temnd to agree with you here. I honestly believe that Cushing may have been the steal of this draft. For all that we've grumbled nad griped about Houston's past draft choices, they have two who are proving us all wrong.
davemundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Here's a question... whats the most you'd give up to draft Berry/Mays? If it came down to it would you give up a 2nd (and obviously swapping 1sts to trade up)?
Honestly, I think Berry is going in the top 5 and Mays is going to end up getting picked apart by draftniks and scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We've been pretty poor historically in the 2nd round, so why not

EDIT: About Cushing going to the PB, it's probably not going to happen. OLB's in the 3-4 end up getting selected to those spots because people refuse to put them in as DE's for whatever reason. 4-3 OLB's just do not rack up the stats like those guys, and it's quite a shame. As long as there's guys getting huge sack numbers playing OLB, guys who beat down running games and can cover just get the shaft.

Last edited by b0ng; 10-09-2009 at 07:11 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet he'd be in the mix if he had some sacks to add to his stats.
Old 10-09-2009   #25
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Honestly, I think Berry is going in the top 5 and Mays is going to end up getting picked apart by draftniks and scouts.
Mays has 4.2.-4.3 speed, hits like a train, has above average NFL safety size and could get picked before Berry.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mays has 4.2.-4.3 speed, hits like a train, has above average NFL safety size and could get picked before Berry.
Teams are going to question why Taylor Mays only has 5 interceptions in 4 years (well he has 5 right now). Eric Berry has 13 interceptions in 3 years (well he has 13 right now) and has run 3 of them back for TD's. No TD's for Mays.

Yes Mays can hit and is big as hell for a safety (I question whether he'll run a 4.2 - 4.3 but that's what the combine/pro days are for) but there are inherent flaws in his game. Eric Berry looks like Ed Reed reincarnated right now and he has a lot less help in his defense than Mays has had over his college career.

EDIT: As far as the "hits like a champ" aspect of Berry's game I submit this. Yes I know the music sucks but oh wells.
Old 10-09-2009   #27
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Teams are going to question why Taylor Mays only has 5 interceptions in 4 years (well he has 5 right now). Eric Berry has 13 interceptions in 3 years (well he has 13 right now) and has run 3 of them back for TD's. No TD's for Mays.

Yes Mays can hit and is big as hell for a safety (I question whether he'll run a 4.2 - 4.3 but that's what the combine/pro days are for) but there are inherent flaws in his game. Eric Berry looks like Ed Reed reincarnated right now and he has a lot less help in his defense than Mays has had over his college career.

EDIT: As far as the "hits like a champ" aspect of Berry's game I submit this. Yes I know the music sucks but oh wells.
Mays will blow up the combine and his pro day.. he's a charasmatic kid too and will have great interviews... he's a top 10 lock I think, but I hope you're right and he falls all the way to the Texans.

As for Eric Berry, I'd trade my future first born child AND our 1st rounder for him
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2009   #28
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Mays will blow up the combine and his pro day.. he's a charasmatic kid too and will have great interviews... he's a top 10 lock I think, but I hope you're right and he falls all the way to the Texans.

As for Eric Berry, I'd trade my future first born child AND our 1st rounder for him
Yeah. Honestly the whole safety class for this year could be one of the best ever. I could live with Taylor Mays (Hell I didn't like Cushing that much coming out of college, mostly based around injury history and roid accusations) I suppose but he seems more of a "hitter" and less of a coverage threat than what our poor secondary needs. However if he does run a ridiculous 40 when he works out for the pro's I can see Al Davis rearing his crypt keeper head and drafting him really high.

I'm hoping that Berry comes out and says he smokes weed every day and only likes to hang out in Amsterdam and California. Even then he'd probably still go entirely too high for us. Time to start practicing my child sacrifice rituals!
Old 10-10-2009   #29
JMacaroni
On the bubble

Rep Power: 279 JMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respectedJMacaroni is a quality contributor and well respected

You're spot on b0ng. Berry is a smaller Ed Reed while Mays is more of an Atwater type. At FS I want a ballhawk, not someone that will knock down a pass instead of intercepting one to win a game. And if Mays runs a 4.2.....well he won't so it doesn't matter. Of course a big hitter back there will make the corners better as well, I'd rather have range with ball skills. It's nice to think of Cushing with Mays though since they both have that headhunter mentality.
JMacaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #30
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I bet he'd be in the mix if he had some sacks to add to his stats.
I agree that if Cushing starts to produce some sacks he could potentially earn a spot on the Pro Bowl or at least as an alternate. Maybe he'll see more chances to rush the QB as the season progresses.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I agree that if Cushing starts to produce some sacks he could potentially earn a spot on the Pro Bowl or at least as an alternate. Maybe he'll see more chances to rush the QB as the season progresses.
Right, I love talking football with you Gary some rep headed your way.
Old 10-10-2009   #32
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

the Cush was in JaRussell's facemask like 4 or 5 times last week. I'll side with the "the sacks will come" people.

I'd trade everything it took to get both of 'em.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacaroni View Post
You're spot on b0ng. Berry is a smaller Ed Reed while Mays is more of an Atwater type. At FS I want a ballhawk, not someone that will knock down a pass instead of intercepting one to win a game. And if Mays runs a 4.2.....well he won't so it doesn't matter. Of course a big hitter back there will make the corners better as well, I'd rather have range with ball skills. It's nice to think of Cushing with Mays though since they both have that headhunter mentality.
Mays doesn't run a 4.2........I highly doubt he'll even turn out a 4.3 at the combine.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Mays doesn't run a 4.2........I highly doubt he'll even turn out a 4.3 at the combine.
I think there's a chance he doesn't run the 40 at the combine and elects to wait till USC's pro-day to run on their track due to the lower times. Mays was a sprinting champion in HS so there's always the possibility, but watching him play he's fast but I don't think he's Chris Johnson or DHB fast.
Old 10-10-2009   #35
Statis22
Top Billin

Cush is a beast.

Eric Berry will almost be a top 5 pick, we'd have to give up a significant part to get within that range. Mays is top 15. Maybe a 2nd rounder would do it.
Statis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #36
Statis22
Top Billin

More of a comparison of Mays would be a Adrian Wilson. He beat a speed guy to the corner last week going for a 1st down on a gimpy knee.

I don't know about the 4.2 speed but the speed whatever it is, is legit.
Statis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #37
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's it, I'm sold.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #38
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I think that if Cushing reads these threads his head might actually become as big as his neck, but certainly he deserves all the compliments he is receiving.

The sacks will come.

As far as Taylor Mays v. Eric Berry goes, I don't even think it is close. Berry is very talented but Mays is just a freak. I remember a commentator in a late season USC game last year, saying that:

USC has not given up a single deep ball (over 30 yards or something) to this point.

Mays has range that Berry could only dream of, he has size, speed and the instincts to play FS and excel at the NFL level. He is that rangy centerfielder, think a bigger more physical and better Reggie Nelson
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #39
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statis22 View Post
Cush is a beast.

Eric Berry will almost be a top 5 pick, we'd have to give up a significant part to get within that range. Mays is top 15. Maybe a 2nd rounder would do it.
After all is said and done Taylor Mays will be a top 8 pick and Berry will go right about 15 to 20 range.
Old 10-10-2009   #40
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Next year's draft I would be pretty happy with this:

1) Eric Berry - I suspect we will pick in the low 20s, might want to move up to 15ish using a third round pick and snag Eric Berry, though I would prefer Taylor Mays but he won't be available.

2) Jordan Shipley - KW 2.0 or Wes Welker you choice either way I think he could play the number 2 or kick inside and play the slot. Kid has skills and versatility.

4) Kyle Wilson - Man cover corner added versatility in the PR game.

Later rounds, my sleeper is Clint McPeek WLB who played the same position as Urlacher for the past three seasons. 6'1 230 but this kid can flat out fly, I would suspect 4.4ish.

Most impressive is his top end speed he regularly chases down fast WRs and punt returners with a 10 yard head start, the only other LB I have seen with this kind of makeup speed is Patrick Willis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read