Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2009   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who is better? Andre Johnson vs. Larry Fitzgerald

Lots of good stuff on this over at ESPN and is main story on the cover of the NFL section.

NFL Live hashes it out:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4541440

AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky's case for AJ:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...4/bestreceiver

NFC West blogger Mike Sando's case for Fitz:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...treceiversando
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who is better? Andre Johnson vs. Larry Fitzgerald

What is this like the fifth time a thread like this has popped up?

Neither one is better. They are both great players. There is no wrong decision.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

C'mon Andre, do what you do and settle this score once and for all.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

HOWEVER, this is to funnel all the media coverage on the two from ESPN leading up to the game. Geese.
Old 10-08-2009   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I say AJ. I doubt Fitz could make Mr. Mittens look as good or better than Andre did for so many years.
Old 10-08-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad we have at least one of them.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83034 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The only knock against Andre Johnson is the lack of total TDs he's had over the years for a elite WR....

If he could actually put up double digit TDs, this wouldn't even be a debate......seriously though, we need to find a way to get AJ into the endzone more. He's only scored in one game this season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2009   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I give the slight edge to AJ, but just by a hair. AJ never had a complementary receiver like Boldin to draw attention away until Kevin Walter showed up. Yet he was still consistently putting up stellar performances.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Part of this is due to Capers' and Kubiaks' insistence on forcing the run in the end zone. You've rarely seen WR's on this team score from the end zone in this offense. It's always TE's and RB's.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This about sums it up for me too.
Old 10-08-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest knock on AJ in my opinion is that sometimes he just disappears and we've never seen what he's like in big games. Its more of an uknown than a knock I guesss. W'ell just have to wait until we play in the superbowl later this year to make our decision
Old 10-08-2009   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The only knock against Andre Johnson is the lack of total TDs he's had over the years for a elite WR....

If he could actually put up double digit TDs, this wouldn't even be a debate......seriously though, we need to find a way to get AJ into the endzone more. He's only scored in one game this season.
No doubt. The question for me then... is how many times has he truly been targeted in the end zone this year, and overall really. You would think that he would get more lobs in the corner of the end zone. Is that because he is more easy to cover down there than the ther WRs who get more of those balls? I just dont buy that. So then is it the playcalling?
Old 10-08-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
HOWEVER, this is to funnel all the media coverage on the two from ESPN leading up to the game. Geese.
Well if you really want to have the discussion, they're both great at doing similar things. I don't think one is better than the other really at anything. In the end I think that Calvin Johnson will end up being better than both if they can ever get an O line that can protect Stafford and he ends up developing. As far as pure talent goes, he's the best I've ever seen even over Randy Moss. It's just a matter of if the rest of the parts get their stuff together. For years people said "if only AJ was on a team where a QB could get him the ball." Well he is finally on a team like that now and he's been tearing it up the last few seasons. Fitzgerald was tearing it up in the stat book even with the garbage QB's he had before Warner though, and has also had to lose some of his stats to Boldin. Boldin being there has helped him some, but also took away some of his stats, so it's been sort of like a double edged sword. Last season though the two of them finally had a real QB for the first time in both of their careers and that offense went nuts. Again though, there is no right or wrong answer. THey play in different offenses with different factors of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think numbers and stats will ever completely tell the story with AJ, Fitz, or Calvin.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #14
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
No doubt. The question for me then... is how many times has he truly been targeted in the end zone this year, and overall really. You would think that he would get more lobs in the corner of the end zone. Is that because he is more easy to cover down there than the ther WRs who get more of those balls? I just dont buy that. So then is it the playcalling?
As long as were we're getting TDs(which we have been) it doesn't matter to me who's catching them. We saw what happened when Matt forced it to Aj in the endzone.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Love AJ, but I mean...Fitz just ate up teams last year in the playoffs. He pulled the team to the Superbowl, and a drive short of a championship. Again Love AJ but, I haven't seen him do anything like that.

That and if you've seen the intensity and work ethic Fitz has it's...just downright crazy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take the guy with the worlds most boring twitter page every day, and twice on Sundays.

e: Whats up H-town, whats good?
Old 10-08-2009   #17
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Vote for our boy:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank...=416#topOfList
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #18
davemundy
Rookie

Heyheyhey, let's not forget FanHuddle:
http://fanhuddle.com/houstontexans/2...ce-off-sunday/
davemundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

That's exactly how I see it. I think you could even add Reggie Wayne into that group as well. People overlook Wayne because of what Harrison has done, but there probably isn't a better route runner or a set of hands on a receiver than Reggie Wayne.

They are just different players. They have different strengths.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemundy View Post
Heyheyhey, let's not forget FanHuddle:
http://fanhuddle.com/houstontexans/2...ce-off-sunday/
Welcome to the board Dave. Hope you enjoy your stay and that you put up articles that are better written than Richard Justice. So far, 1 for 1 that I've read.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read