Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-07-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Los Angeles Looking at 6 Teams

Quote:
Developers to test Chargers' interest in move to L.A.
By Matthew T. Hall
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
8:13 p.m. October 6, 2009

Background: Developers want to bring professional football back to the Los Angeles area with a privately financed $800 million stadium in Industry.

What's changing: They intend to approach half a dozen National Football League teams, including the San Diego Chargers, in February about relocating.

The future: The Chargers expect to be exploring options countywide come 2010, but after each season can pay a termination fee to leave San Diego.

The developers who want to bring professional football back to the Los Angeles area said Tuesday that they'll approach the San Diego Chargers and five other teams in February about moving as early as next season.

Majestic Realty Co. Vice President John Semcken III revealed his intentions at a breakfast gathering of the Orange County Business Industry Association in Costa Mesa. He made headlines more than a year ago with a pronouncement he had “no doubt” that a National Football League team would be playing in Los Angeles in 2009.

On Tuesday, Semcken hadn't lost any of his optimism.

He said the state Senate will help clear a last hurdle for an $800 million, 600-acre stadium project in the city of Industry by Oct. 15 – either via legislation, already passed by the Assembly, to bypass state environmental laws – or by negotiations Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg arranged last month.

“Come next week, our stadium will be approved,” Semcken said. “Then we'll be able to go out and buy a football team.”
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...olts/?chargers

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #2
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Los Angeles Looking at 6 Teams

Oh god...not the Chargers. I'd rather have the Rams back in L.A. then the Chargers. I'm surprised though, I thought at most there were talks with three teams, definitely wasn't expecting six.

Anyone want to guess who these six teams are?

I think, most likely, they are the:

Chargers(duh)
Rams
Raiders
Vikings
Jaguars
Bills

Although I hope I am wrong about the Bills and Rams...for some strange reason though, I would love the Lions to come to L.A. (and yeah I know their owned by Ford ).
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #3
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see either the Rams come back to LA, or the Jags move. The other teams need to stay where they are.
Old 10-07-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Adrian Peterson, and Brett Favre in L.A. = Big time media hype.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Adrian Peterson, and Brett Favre in L.A. = Big time media hype.
I would assume that they are looking more long term than 2 players on a team.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be interested in seeing Broncos TV base compared to LA. Seems like a positive move to me but don't know about agreement team has with city.
Old 10-07-2009   #8
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 22660 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

take the cowboyz please
Old 10-07-2009   #9
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23831 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Haha Los Angeles Cowboys. That's worse than the Tennessee Oilers or Utah Jazz.
Old 10-07-2009   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

San Francisco cowboys would be the funniest

Utah Jazz is the stupidest name in all of sports
Old 10-07-2009   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This really makes me feel very sad! Screw the fans, from whatever city/state they decide to F over, just go out and BUY themselves a football team simply because it is LA! I understand the small market teams that are struggling, etc, BUT, it's just sad for the fans. BUT, when has the NFL really cared about the fans anyway! SCREW LA!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with ya Sandy.

The only fan base I would not mind being screwed over would be the Titans. I hate the Titans and all of their fans!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #13
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
This really makes me feel very sad! Screw the fans, from whatever city/state they decide to F over, just go out and BUY themselves a football team simply because it is LA! I understand the small market teams that are struggling, etc, BUT, it's just sad for the fans. BUT, when has the NFL really cared about the fans anyway! SCREW LA!!
LA needs a team, its the 2nd largest city in America.
I know many people get angry about this statement but many people also said this about Houston(being the 4th largest).

If these other small market team's fans dont show up to the games(Jags) then it only makes sense to move the team to a place that is wanting a team and has millions of people.
I dont understand why Minny would be on the list(I guess a stadium situation?)
I also hope that the Bills will stay in Buffalo, they have that cities support.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #14
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Utah Jazz is the stupidest name in all of sports
I don't know about that...

I kid of course.
Old 10-07-2009   #15
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67904 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I know many people get angry about this statement but many people also said this about Houston(being the 4th largest).

If these other small market team's fans dont show up to the games(Jags) then it only makes sense to move the team to a place that is wanting a team and has millions of people.
Neither is in one of the country's top 32 markets, but Jacksonville is larger than Buffalo.

Quote:
42 1,203 Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
45 1,159 Buffalo-Niagra Falls, NY
Oddly, Buffalo has a larger TV market and Jacksonville a larger Radio (I guess more cars in Jacksonville?). One other major point is that Jacksonville is growing faster than Buffalo. I think Buffalo is actually shrinking. I do think that the Buffalo Bills' 50 year history has to be taken into account, and it will be sad when the Bills move. But I use the word "when" for a reason. I am pretty much certain the Bills will move. Buffalo is simply not large enough. There isn't enough corporate support, and the city is not able to afford to subsidize a new facility. I feel for the fans, though. I truly do.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The only team I'm interested in seeing in L.A. is the Rams. The Rams belong in Los Angelas just like the Cardinals should be in St. Louis and a host of other teams belong in their former digs.

That's just an opinion and I know it's not practical for most of the carpet bagging teams but the Rams have a legitimate shot at going back to L.A. and getting it right this time. I think that should happen. St. Louis should then get the Jaguars like they were supposed to back when the team was originally awarded.

Jacksonville goes back to watching the Dolphins, Buc's, or Falcons.

The Raiders stay right where they are and Al Davis dies alone in a dim room plotting an imaginary revenge against the NFL for taking "his" city from him.
Old 10-07-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem with your position is it assumes the people of LA want a team and for the most part they do not. Something is going to have to be done about Jacksonville and maybe the solution is giving LA one last shot.

McClain actually had an astute statement this morning which was folks can keep talking about an LA team all they want but until there is a viable plan for a stadium on the boards it isn't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The only team I'm interested in seeing in L.A. is the Rams. The Rams belong in Los Angelas just like the Cardinals should be in St. Louis and a host of other teams belong in their former digs.

That's just an opinion and I know it's not practical for most of the carpet bagging teams but the Rams have a legitimate shot at going back to L.A. and getting it right this time. I think that should happen. St. Louis should then get the Jaguars like they were supposed to back when the team was originally awarded.

Jacksonville goes back to watching the Dolphins, Buc's, or Falcons.

The Raiders stay right where they are and Al Davis dies alone in a dim room plotting an imaginary revenge against the NFL for taking "his" city from him.
Sounds like a plan. I have family in LA and you know they just aren't a football town, or aren't a loyal to their own town football fans. Back when the Rams were there they lost tons of fans to the Cowboys because they used to hold training camp out there every year. I don't think people appreciate how awkward traffic can be out there as well. Some of the places they are talking about putting a stadium are technically suburbs of LA but it might as well be like putting Texans' stadium in Austin.

FWIW - McClain says there is a condition on the St. Louis sales negotiations that the team has to stay there.

Last edited by infantrycak; 10-07-2009 at 03:15 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #18
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
At the bottom of it all, everyone is out to make money. I don't blame LA for wanting a team, or the NFL for wanting one there...its too big of a market to pass up. When thinking about it, I doubt the Rams will move back. If Limbaugh and the St. Lois Blue's owner are able to buy the team...I am almost certain they would stay there. Bills have been "linked" to moving to Canada a few times, but I doubt they would move as well. And your correct imatexan, Vikes want a new stadium from what I hear, but they have a large fanbase in Minny, and I would hate to see them move.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #19
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67904 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The problem with your position is it assumes the people of LA want a team and for the most part they do not. Something is going to have to be done about Jacksonville and maybe the solution is giving LA one last shot.

McClain actually had an astute statement this morning which was folks can keep talking about an LA team all they want but until there is a viable plan for a stadium on the boards it isn't happening.
I swear I know it sounds conspiracy theorist but I think that the NFL will have a problem with this because the stadium in the original link is privately financed. I honestly believe that many of the owners will be leery of setting this precedent and that the vote could be very close for that reason.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think my biggest problem with having a team in LA is based on the past they really haven't shown that they care about having a pro football team. How many teams have moved from LA? Raiders. Rams. Technically the Chargers were in LA for a year as well.

It's a Laker/USC town. They don't care about pro football.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read