Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Booms/Busts for 2009 so far?

List one boom and bust:

Boom: Ryan Moats. He looked much better than I was expecting.
Bust: Connor Barwin. A really promising preseason, he has yet to show up at all in the regular season
Old 10-07-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Booms/Busts for 2009 so far?

WAY too early for this type of thread. We're in week 5, try again in like...week 12 at least....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #3
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
List one boom and bust:

Bust: Connor Barwin. A really promising preseason, he has yet to show up at all in the regular season
Its too hard to say anyone is anything after 4 games.
Moats is doing the same thing he did last year. So I wouldnt call his performance a boom. Barwin was doing well in the preseason against 2nd teamers so this should be no surprise that he is struggling. I wasnt expecting any more than 3 or 4 sacks if he really started getting it. We still have 12 games to go so I will wait to call anyone a bust.

I will say this though I am pleased with Cushing as he seems to fit what this Defense is doing very well. He is the closest thing we have to a boom.
Old 10-07-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
WAY too early for this type of thread. We're in week 5, try again in like...week 12 at least....
LOL oh please. Im sorry I forgot to ask your permission. Maybe you missed the word "so far"?

This is a "for fun" thread on a messageboard on a Wednesday during a pretty slow week. Im sorry if this violates some unspoken rule or has upset you in some way.
Ill never understand posts like this. Why bother saying anything at all? Oh wait, I already know the answer..

ANYway, back on topic:
I think you're right on Cushing. By far the brightest surprise on our team so far.
Same with Duane Brown. He has really improved this year from what Ive been hearing

Last edited by gtexan02; 10-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL oh please. Im sorry I forgot to ask your permission. Maybe you missed the word "so far"?
No I caught it.

So far
Boom Cushing
Bust Chris Brown

Good thing there isn't like 20 more weeks of football before judgements start being real topics.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He's still inconsistent but I am going to give a boom to Jacoby Jones. Two TD receptions in 4 games with a Kickoff Return for a TD. He's made an impact to our team on offense because once we get in the redzone he presents a bit of a matchup problem.

My bust goes to Slaton due to lack of being able to average more yards per carry and not hitting the holes like he used to. Hopefully he is coming out of that.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin has looked real nice, loved his tackling vs the Raiders. Seemed to be close to the plays often.

Slaton... hm.. I hoped/expected more from him the first 3 games, hopefully his play (minus the fumble) in week 4 will set the standard for the rest of the season.
Old 10-07-2009   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Boom: Cushing and Diles.

Bust: Bennett and Okoye.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Boom: Cushing and Diles.

Bust: Bennett and Okoye.
we certainly don't need more than 5 weeks to know that bennet is in the "bust"

This guy went from hero to zero in one offseason. Its pretty disappointing, because he had so much potential foolowing his rookie campaign
Old 10-07-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
List one boom and bust:

I don't see how Moats could be a "Boom" player because he came in one game and had a few nice carries. It's not like he got some huge long run or a few TD's or anything like that. He just came in and showed that he was serviceable and nothing more than that.

Cushing is a "BOOM" player for sure though.

As far as Barwin goes, I'm not exactly sure if he's been on the field enough yet to accurately grade him really.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #11
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see how Moats could be a "Boom" player because he came in one game and had a few nice carries. It's not like he got some huge long run or a few TD's or anything like that. He just came in and showed that he was serviceable and nothing more than that.

Cushing is a "BOOM" player for sure though.

As far as Barwin goes, I'm not exactly sure if he's been on the field enough yet to accurately grade him really.
Sure, Moats had a solid game against the Raiders...but that's not enough to call him a "boom" player IMO. He's been doing what he's always done for the Texans. Come in and be a serviceable backup running back. As far as boom, I don't know if we can even dispute, it's gotta be Cushing. Bust? Mmm...I'll say Slaton.

Hear me out here. As far as busts go, there's usually high expectations, and after Slaton's rookie campaign, we all had super high expectations. I'm not saying he can't pick it up and start doing better, nor am I saying that the game against the Raiders wasn't a decent showing, but thus far, especially in the first three games, Slaton has been the biggest disappointment.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Boom: I don't really think anybody deserves it. If I had to choose, it'd be Diles.

Bad (don't like using the term bust): Slaton, Bennett, Barber, Barwin, Brisiel

Still Bad: Myers, Studdard
Old 10-07-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Sure, Moats had a solid game against the Raiders...but that's not enough to call him a "boom" player IMO. He's been doing what he's always done for the Texans. Come in and be a serviceable backup running back. As far as boom, I don't know if we can even dispute, it's gotta be Cushing. Bust? Mmm...I'll say Slaton.

Hear me out here. As far as busts go, there's usually high expectations, and after Slaton's rookie campaign, we all had super high expectations. I'm not saying he can't pick it up and start doing better, nor am I saying that the game against the Raiders wasn't a decent showing, but thus far, especially in the first three games, Slaton has been the biggest disappointment.
Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything here man.

With Slaton though, I think this is going to be on Kubes. Kubes is an offensive guy that loves to run the ball. Whatever Kubes might have said or if it was the benching of Slaton for Moats, it got Slaton running hard. Kubes should be riding his ass all week long this week. Notice how Tomlin benched Mendenhall all last week because he wasn't on his stuff at practice, and then Mendenhall comes back the very next week getting the start and goes off for 191 all purpose yards? Whatever Tomlin said to him and how he benched him clearly sent the message to Mendenhall. I hope that Kubes rides Slaton's ass all week long, because Slaton really picked it up against the Raiders for a moment and showed us all what he's capable of again.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I expected Cushing to be very good but he seems to impact those around him & they play better. He has given Ryans and Smith a boost and the entire D is feeding off it. I like that a "feeding defense".

My bust goes to running game and the coaches. ST coach is only one that has his team doing as should be.
Old 10-07-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No Boom, they played about as expected so far.
Zac Diles gets the nod for his consistency (which he lacked last year).
But then again we have not seen a great passing team yet.
I still have question mark about him and Cushing in the passing game.

No Bust either.
But the coaching staff needs to improve.
Antonio Smith needs to be more consistent the way the second highest paid player on the D should be.

Overall, the Texans need to be more consistent to be a play-off contender.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #16
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bust -Slaton -Although he had a solid game against the Raiders, still been slow and the fumbles are too frequent.
bust - Bennett - He looks like Petey Faggins with longer arms
Bust - Frank Bush - enough said.

Boom - Cushing, the boy can play and I don't mind the dirty hits.
Boom - The Cheerleaders - alot of boom boom.
Old 10-07-2009   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Booms:
Cushing
D. Brown
Diles
Pollard(from what i've seen so far)

Busts:
Bennett
Barwin
C. Brown
ZBS
Old 10-07-2009   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Boom : Cushing and Brown.

Bust : Okoye and Barwin.

Know it's still very early on Barwin, but so far...looking like a wasted 2nd round pick. It'd really speak volumes if Jamison got snaps and looks like he belongs in the NFL.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

My bust is Okam, its ridiculous that this guy is a healthy inactive on Sundays in his second year. He's not taking that jump.

Boom... Jacoby Jones, I knew he was a playmaker on returns but his play as a receiver has been WAY over what I thought he was... he looks like he's becoming the guy we drafted in the 3rd round

Calling Okoye a bust is weak, you can't pin the big runs on him and other than that he's been solid and had a great game last week. He's getting pressure and doing a good job.

Barwin has played 4 games!! Lol, and this is only his 2nd year as an end! I think this guy will have 5-6 sacks by seasons end and he'll show promise leading into next year.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
My bust is Okam, its ridiculous that this guy is a healthy inactive on Sundays in his second year. He's not taking that jump.

Boom... Jacoby Jones, I knew he was a playmaker on returns but his play as a receiver has been WAY over what I thought he was... he looks like he's becoming the guy we drafted in the 3rd round

Calling Okoye a bust is weak, you can't pin the big runs on him and other than that he's been solid and had a great game last week. He's getting pressure and doing a good job.

Barwin has played 4 games!! Lol, and this is only his 2nd year as an end! I think this guy will have 5-6 sacks by seasons end and he'll show promise leading into next year.
I'm not pinning the big runs on him but, we knew coming into the season holding the run wasn't his forte, so he was supposed to be able to attack gaps and get to the QB. So far a miss on both sides for the most part. I'd hope you'd expect more from a first round top, top ten draft pick. Milk and cookies for Okoye!

The fact that its his second year at DE and we took him in the second doesn't seem to bother a whole lot of people other then myself it looks like. You see it as some sort of positive somehow.

I sure hope he PERFORMS the rest of the season how you THINK. Awesome so we have to wait til next year to see some real potential from Barwin! Honestly I'm really hoping the Barwin fan boys are right, because right now I'm not seeing it. Once again we're stuck with an early round pick that sure does have a lot of potential, and little production to show. I'm glad you're happy with taking a guy who sees limited snaps as a 3rd or fourth stringer as opposed to .... I dunno picking a guy in the second who could be STARTING?

There's still next year though for both of them right?!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read