Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-06-2009   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 Runningbacks

Allow me to start off by saying that I like Slaton, and I do think he has potential. However, this season I am not seeing it, and it is causing me some worry. Add that to the fact that he will never be a power back, and it led me to create this list for all of you (and myself).

Tier 1- Elite Prospects

Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer, 5'11" 235
Dwyer burst onto the scene last year with 1395 rushing yards and 21 TD's. This year is not going so well, although he is still the best pro RB out there. He has ideal size/speed ratio, but I worry that he is a product of the Georgia Tech offense. He should be the first RB off the board, probably a top 10 pick.

Stanford's Toby Gerhart, 6'1" 235
Gerhart is a football player, no other way to put it. Great power, great blocking, solid hands, surprising agility and a great work ethic. Yes, I readily admit that I have a man crush. While he wont reach the 2000 yard mark he wanted this year, he should still hit 1500 yards. That might not sound too impressive, but he IS the offense. Gerhart will fall because he does not have the sexy measurables that NFL GM's covet, but I would take him in the first. He will actually be picked in the late second or early third.

Tier 2- Good prospects

Clemson's CJ Spiller, 5'11" 195
Spiller has elite speed, but he just is not big enough to be a feature back. Some team will take him in the first because of his workouts, but he will be a Reggie Bush in the pros.

Cal's Jahvid Best, 5'10" 195
What I wrote about Spiller. Best is an electrifying talent, but I dont think he will ever be a dangerous feature back in the pros. He either has to gain more weight and lose his explosiveness (which is his game), or he stays the same weight and will need to be part of a rotation. A first round pick, probably in the 20's.

Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray, 6' 214
Murray, if we were just going off of physical talent, would be a Tier 1 guy. While not huge, he has decent size and good put on another 5-7 lbs and not lose any of his speed (4.3 or so). He can catch as well as run, blocking is a slight concern. The major knock on him is injuries. He just cant stay healthy. I predict an early second call for Mr. Murray.

LSU's Charles Scott, 5'11" 234
Scott took the SEC by storm last year. He is a power back, no ifs ands or buts about it. His speed is even worse than Gerhart's, and I dont get the same "player" vibe out of him. He probably has the most power of all the backs in the draft. If he can improve on his speed he will be a late 1st guy. If not, mid second.

Tier 3- Solid Prospects

Tennessee's Montario Hardesty, 6' 215
Hardesty is having a career year. He has a good combination of speed and power, but is not outstanding at either. He is the definition of a 3rd rounder, good, but not spectacular.

Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter, 5'8" 198
Hunter is short, but not small. There is a big difference. He has dynamite speed, and (like I alluded to above) surprising power. He does a decent job catching the ball, but is just over matched when it comes to blocking. I would take him in the 3rd.

Mississippi State's Anthony Dixon, 6'1" 235
Another power back (this draft has a few good ones, which bodes well for the Texans), Dixon is a tough one to peg. I know some on this board really like him, but I dont get a great feeling off of him. Sounds weird, I know. He would be a good 4th round pick, but I think he will go higher.

West Virginia's Noel Devine, 5'6" 176
If Devine had more size, he would be much higher. He is a monster, but just too small. I think he can be a great Reggie Bush player in the pros though. 3rd rounder.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Runningbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Allow me to start off by saying that I like Slaton, and I do think he has potential. However, this season I am not seeing it, and it is causing me some worry. Add that to the fact that he will never be a power back, and it led me to create this list for all of you (and myself).

Tier 1- Elite Prospects

Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer, 5'11" 235
Dwyer burst onto the scene last year with 1395 rushing yards and 21 TD's. This year is not going so well, although he is still the best pro RB out there. He has ideal size/speed ratio, but I worry that he is a product of the Georgia Tech offense. He should be the first RB off the board, probably a top 10 pick.

Stanford's Toby Gerhart, 6'1" 235
Gerhart is a football player, no other way to put it. Great power, great blocking, solid hands, surprising agility and a great work ethic. Yes, I readily admit that I have a man crush. While he wont reach the 2000 yard mark he wanted this year, he should still hit 1500 yards. That might not sound too impressive, but he IS the offense. Gerhart will fall because he does not have the sexy measurables that NFL GM's covet, but I would take him in the first. He will actually be picked in the late second or early third.

Tier 2- Good prospects

Clemson's CJ Spiller, 5'11" 195
Spiller has elite speed, but he just is not big enough to be a feature back. Some team will take him in the first because of his workouts, but he will be a Reggie Bush in the pros.

Cal's Jahvid Best, 5'10" 195
What I wrote about Spiller. Best is an electrifying talent, but I dont think he will ever be a dangerous feature back in the pros. He either has to gain more weight and lose his explosiveness (which is his game), or he stays the same weight and will need to be part of a rotation. A first round pick, probably in the 20's.

Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray, 6' 214
Murray, if we were just going off of physical talent, would be a Tier 1 guy. While not huge, he has decent size and good put on another 5-7 lbs and not lose any of his speed (4.3 or so). He can catch as well as run, blocking is a slight concern. The major knock on him is injuries. He just cant stay healthy. I predict an early second call for Mr. Murray.

LSU's Charles Scott, 5'11" 234
Scott took the SEC by storm last year. He is a power back, no ifs ands or buts about it. His speed is even worse than Gerhart's, and I dont get the same "player" vibe out of him. He probably has the most power of all the backs in the draft. If he can improve on his speed he will be a late 1st guy. If not, mid second.

Tier 3- Solid Prospects

Tennessee's Montario Hardesty, 6' 215
Hardesty is having a career year. He has a good combination of speed and power, but is not outstanding at either. He is the definition of a 3rd rounder, good, but not spectacular.

Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter, 5'8" 198
Hunter is short, but not small. There is a big difference. He has dynamite speed, and (like I alluded to above) surprising power. He does a decent job catching the ball, but is just over matched when it comes to blocking. I would take him in the 3rd.

Mississippi State's Anthony Dixon, 6'1" 235
Another power back (this draft has a few good ones, which bodes well for the Texans), Dixon is a tough one to peg. I know some on this board really like him, but I dont get a great feeling off of him. Sounds weird, I know. He would be a good 4th round pick, but I think he will go higher.

West Virginia's Noel Devine, 5'6" 176
If Devine had more size, he would be much higher. He is a monster, but just too small. I think he can be a great Reggie Bush player in the pros though. 3rd rounder.
give me Rolle in 2nd I'll give you Gerhart in 3rd
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Due to place of Texans, I have started my picks much earlier. At first I thought Gerhart would slide to round 3 but no way. I think we will be selecting at about #14 and I have him in round #2 now. He has size and good speed + he should have some blocking skills as he played as a FB some. I hope to actually see this Stanford player on the field so if anyone can give me a heads up, I'd appreciate it. My concern is if he does well he may move up to round one. It is time for us to splurge with a higher round pick for a quality power back. I see this draft as weak over all especially for RB and run stopping DTs.
Old 10-07-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Due to place of Texans, I have started my picks much earlier. At first I thought Gerhart would slide to round 3 but no way. I think we will be selecting at about #14 and I have him in round #2 now. He has size and good speed + he should have some blocking skills as he played as a FB some. I hope to actually see this Stanford player on the field so if anyone can give me a heads up, I'd appreciate it. My concern is if he does well he may move up to round one. It is time for us to splurge with a higher round pick for a quality power back. I see this draft as weak over all especially for RB and run stopping DTs.
RB position is & will probably continue to be a numbers game. They'll keep bringing in bodies, plugging them in & see if they fit. look @ N.O. they spent the #2 overall pick on a RB in 06 but the best back on the team is Thomas Pierre, undraftred in 07. It will be interesting to see how Chris Henry performs he came out of that same draft & was a 2nd rounder.
Old 10-07-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
RB position is & will probably continue to be a numbers game. They'll keep bringing in bodies, plugging them in & see if they fit. look @ N.O. they spent the #2 overall pick on a RB in 06 but the best back on the team is Thomas Pierre, undraftred in 07. It will be interesting to see how Chris Henry performs he came out of that same draft & was a 2nd rounder.
Not just Reggie Bush. Look at Darren Mcfadden. Mcfadden has bust written all over him. He's been worse than Reggie Bush has, but no one really talks about what a failure he's been as a #3 draft pick.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Not just Reggie Bush. Look at Darren Mcfadden. Mcfadden has bust written all over him. He's been worse than Reggie Bush has, but no one really talks about what a failure he's been as a #3 draft pick.
Raiders have bust written all over them look @ JaMarcus Russel #1 pick overall. not limited to just RB.

Put McFadden in wildcat w/Miami & look out. Raiders are clueless fitting pieces to the puzzle
Old 10-07-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not being sarcastic but players are drafted in rounds based on what teams will think player will do. Every year I am told that some 7th rounder is starting (Diles) and some #1 busted. I couldn't care less. odds are the higher the round the great chance player will work out. Right now FS, RB, CB and DT are my greatest concerns. I have no RB for our system rated in first round. I am going with Mays to resolve FS as he could be a franchise type player if such a thing could be said of a safety. I agree with your comment on Henry but do not expect him on field unless Slaton then Moats gets hurt. The latter has minimal game time but does well when he is on field. I am disappointed in Foster because I thought by now he would replace Brown and alternate with Steve. Man I hope we beat Arizona.
Old 10-07-2009   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
give me Rolle in 2nd I'll give you Gerhart in 3rd
Switch 'em. Gerhart in second, Rolle in the third. Deal?

Here is some Gerhart goodness:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#
Old 10-07-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not being sarcastic but players are drafted in rounds based on what teams will think player will do. Every year I am told that some 7th rounder is starting (Diles) and some #1 busted. I couldn't care less. odds are the higher the round the great chance player will work out. Right now FS, RB, CB and DT are my greatest concerns. I have no RB for our system rated in first round. I am going with Mays to resolve FS as he could be a franchise type player if such a thing could be said of a safety. I agree with your comment on Henry but do not expect him on field unless Slaton then Moats gets hurt. The latter has minimal game time but does well when he is on field. I am disappointed in Foster because I thought by now he would replace Brown and alternate with Steve. Man I hope we beat Arizona.
Moats has turf toe I believe & like you said Foster has not taken advantage during his window of opportunity. Chris Brown has ball security issues in heavy traffic that cost the Texans while Henry is getting a change of scenery to back-up Slaton. They are just running the numbers until someone sticks
Old 10-07-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Switch 'em. Gerhart in second, Rolle in the third. Deal?

Here is some Gerhart goodness:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#
no
Old 10-07-2009   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
no
2 more articles on him. Change your mind?

http://cbs5.com/sports/Stanford.Gerh...2.1233927.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SP591A22E3.DTL
Old 10-07-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
IF he outshines Quiz this Saturday then we'll talk
Old 10-07-2009   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
IF he outshines Quiz this Saturday then we'll talk
Old 10-09-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Mark Ingram, RB from Alabama if available. He will be a good 3rd rounder.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'll take Mark Ingram, RB from Alabama if available. He will be a good 3rd rounder.
He's a sophomore. Pretty sure he is a true sophomore.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He is.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

the Texans liked Coffee last year (Kubiak mentioned would have taken him rd. 3 if 9'ers had not scooped him up three picks before Texans). after watching him take over the starting role he looks lean & long adding length (6010 209) better than expected speed, fluid in transition run after catch w/good ball security similar skill set to Joseph Addai. Gets another start this weekend against the Falcons, worth a watch.

What about Evan Royster, RB Penn State in 3rd?
Old 10-09-2009   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Doesn't hurt to look further ahead

If Jordan Scott, RB from Colgate is still available, I just want everyone to know that I haven't given up hope.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the Texans liked Coffee last year (Kubiak mentioned would have taken him rd. 3 if 9'ers had not scooped him up three picks before Texans). after watching him take over the starting role he looks lean & long adding length (6010 209) better than expected speed, fluid in transition run after catch w/good ball security similar skill set to Joseph Addai. Gets another start this weekend against the Falcons, worth a watch.

I like Royster. I think he will end up as a 2nd round guy.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Royster is a good player. Do we need another half back? His per carry or per catch avg is good but not much total yardage.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read