Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2009   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offense vs. Raiders

4th QTR

Texans 10th offensive series

1-10
Slaton right tackle for no gain (R.Brown)
Brisiel was weak at the POA.
Leach was met in the backfield, and couldn't clear his man.

2-10
M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to A.Johnson (C.Johnson).
A quick strike that was well defended by the LCB.
Almost an INT (and a possible six points for the Raiders).
Schaub was trying to will that ball in there.
Not the smartest decision.

3-10
M.Schaub scrambles right end for 2 yards (R.Seymour).
Another bad decision by MS.
He stepped up the pocket and could have waited there.
If there's no open receiver, he could have thrown the ball away easily.
It seems like when he starts hearing foostep, he'd get a case of happy feet.
It's third down and ten.
They only rushed 3 for crying out loud!

Texans 11th offensive series

1-10-OAK 20
Slaton left guard for 1 yard.
Winston never latched onto his man (Kelly).
As Slaton cut back up the middle, he ran right into the LDT Kelly.

2-9
Moats right end pushed ob at OAK 14 for 5 yards (C.Johnson).
Leach missed the block inside on #21;
Moats had to cut back outside, where CJ was unblocked.

3-4
Moats left tackle to OAK 15 for -1 yards (R.Seymour, N.Asomugha).
Studdard couldn't hold off Seymour.
Asomugha didn't follow Walter; he came up quickly to play the run.

Kris missed a 33yd FG attempt.
I don't know; it was awfully close.
I thought it was good.
If that one was out; it must have been by a sixteenth of an inch, LOL!
What was the OVER/UNDER? 37-1/2 ? LOL!

Texans 12th offensive series

The Texans kept the ball for 7mins and 10 secs to end the game.
Turk came out to punt twice, but the Raiders' offense refused to take the field, LOL!

Oakland decided to wear out the Texans O with a 12-man on-the-field penalty on the first punt;
then Higgins fumbled the second punt, recovered by Barber.

To make HOU-TEX happy, Myers was pushed back on a 4yd run by Slaton on first and ten.
On 3rd and 3, he was pushed back again; Slaton gained only 2.
That forced the first punt.

On 1-10, Myers was pushed back a little; Moats gained 5.

After the 2 mins warning; Myers got a srong push across the LOS, but then was pushed back all the way.
However, he used his leverage to throw the blocker onto the ground.

There ya' go. Happy?!? LOL, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
First quarter

1st offensive series.

2-10
Slaton ran left end, then cut back up the middle for 11 yards.
Good blocking by all.
I wish I had time to go over this game earlier. As it is, I'm only going through it now.

This second run was a good pickup by our offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Another good play, was the one where Slaton hit the cutback lane, & ran over the safety to get 10 yards & the first down. The OL worked well together, & blew up the Raiders line.
This is the same play. Our second snap of the game. Seeing it from the Stadium, and my first impression after seeing it one time in real speed was that all looked well. But after watching it again, with the DVR, We've got several recurring issues, that we've been guilty of commiting in the past.

But before I get into that.

One thing I noticed right off the bat, is that we're in a 2 WR single back set. Dressen is in the slot, and OD is Lined up tight.

But, you've got KDub outside lined up against a CB. Dresson lined up against a LB, and Greg Ellis (DE) standing up, lined up against OD. The Safety is out of the picture, and Asumga(??) is lined up one on one with AJ wide on the left.

I'm thinking this would be a good situation to change to a pass play. OD against Greg Ellis, I'd take that match up all day long.

But what happened instead, the entire line moves to the left, except Brown, who does the same thing he did on our first play. He does start right, but there isn't anyone to block as the DE crashes in. This time, Studdard is there to take him on, & if Brown doesn't come back and assist, I doubt Studdard would have stopped the DE from getting to Slaton. If Studdard was capable of doing that job, & Brown would have released to the second level, since there was no one to block, SS could've gone around the left end, like it looks like the play was designed, for a big gain. Andre took off, Asamuga turned his back to the OL, and took off after AJ, so there was no one else on that side. Brown could have stopped the LBs from making a play.

But, as it was, Meyers also did a good job hitting the DT in the side, and was pushing him to the left. He was held up by Studdard & Brown. The three of them managed to get good push on the DE & DT, and SS had plenty of time to press the LOS, then cutback after the LBs were too far to the left to stop him. SS actually cuts back, because a LB was already coming around the left corner, since Brown wasn't there to stop him.

Brisiel, who I usually like does a good job releasing to the second level, and getting to a LB. But he slows down, and puts his hands out, waiting for contact. I've seen him go out there and put a helmet on LBs, and Maul them over. why he didn't do this, I don't know. But the LB was allowed to get away from him, and pursue the ball to the Left (pretty much out of the play). Brisiel follows him.... again, I don't know why, there were other people on that side that could've used a good block, like the Safety who finally comes down, and hit SS.

Winston did the absolute worse job of any of our linemen, & I think he's been consistent with that in both the passing & running game. Greg Ellis is all worried about OD, he even stood up, and at the snap, he's waiting for OD to run into the pattern. So Winston is free. He stands up, and moves laterally to the left, looking for someone to block. No one ever comes, so he decides to go into the second level. Greg Ellis has already figured out it's a run play, so he is trying to chase down the play. Winston tries to cut block him, but misses. So he's rolling around on the ground, not doing a Damn thing.

Now, a big part of this run, is that the Raiders DTs were aweful sluggish coming off the snap. Meyers was able to blindside the first DT, which he hadn't been able to do our first three games. & Winston was able to "run around" the second DT, and get off clean. OD was even able to run up under this guy, and stop him from getting to SS in the backfield. I don't think OD is a particularly good run blocker, but he got the job done this time.

Joel Dressen comes in, and since Ellis had already backed up, Dressen thinks (he puts his hands on him) about assisting OD with 93, the big slow DT. But he sees not much needs to be done, so he moves up & thinks about blocking Ellis & runs straight at him. But you can see that he made a conscious decision that Ellis wasn't a major concern of his, as he changed direction, and went after the OLB, who he also got hands on. Joel Gently pushes the LB to the left, as he does, he just happens to be in Michael Huffs way, as Huff tries to run through Dressen to get to the ball. Dressen's head goes back, but he doesn't move, Huff & the LB still have to go around Dressen to get to SS. This is 13 yards from the LOS.

Kevin Walter gets off the line Clean. Looks like he's making a Bee-Line to the OLB that Dressen eventually got. When he got 2 yards past the LOS, he stopped, turned around, and set up to provide the cutback lane SS ran through. From the stands, I could see KDub doing a lot to help the passing game. I usually consider him to be a good run blocking WR. But here, he's waiting for the contact, & if you're playing against a CB who doesn't like contact, that's fine. But if you're playing against Cortland Finegan, Brandon Flowers, Asamuga, or Winfield... they'll run around you, & still make the play.

These are the reasons we're called a finesse team. Walter waiting for contact. Dressen gently pushing the LB, Winston rolling around on the ground, Owen Daniels doing just enough.

When we play a team that wants to win, each of these "good things" will be the reason a play gets blown up. Because the other player was more aggressive than the guys we played last Sunday.

As another example, the big slow DT, #93.. OD just barely got in his way. He made a little contact, then moved on. Instead of #93 going to get Slaton, he went after OD.... WTF??
Old 10-10-2009   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First quarter

1st offensive series.

1-10 Slaton ran off LG for no gain.

2-10

1-10
Slaton 3yd-run to the right.

2-7
Holding on Raiders's Johnson (could have been a TD for AJ).

Nothing against you 76, but this is one of the plays I shook my head at. Sure, the holding penalty got us some yards. But in my mind, this was pathetic.

The bootleg looked great, they bought it, and Matt comes out of the fake, 10 yards behind the LOS, without a soul anywhere near him.

Leach continues with the fake, and puts the hurt on some poor guy. Slaton runs up into the LOS, and had the perfect opportunity to put a body on the DE #92, Richard Seymour who totally bit on the run, but still was eventually able to put pressure on Schaub to throw the ball......

But Schuab comes out of his break, takes a quick look at KDub, then he's looking at Andre, and I'm guessing that he sees he isn't open, because of the holding issue. He stares Andre down from this point on. Then when he finally decides to throw the ball, because Andre got really Wide Open, he throws it short, Andre has to stop & wait for it, and the CB was able to recover & pad his passes defensed stat.

If the ball was thrown over his head, it would have been a monster gain, because both safeties were out of position, #33 at the LOS, and Huff was all the way on the play fake side. Asumogha didn't come into the picture for another 15 yards as he was maned up on Walter.

Maybe Schaub saw the holding issue, and just wanted to get the flag. I would much rather he think about the TD we could have had, if we'd decided to decline the freak'n penalty.
Old 10-10-2009   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
First quarter

1st offensive series.

2-10

1-10

2-7

1-10
Schaub pass was a tad too high and/or long for OD.
He had plenty of time. Come on Schaub!

2-10
Slaton up the middle for -1
Brisiel a little weak.
Otherwise, Slaton could have cut outside.
Offensive line did a very good job here. Not great, but very good. I can see what you're saying about Brisiel, and maybe Vonta was seeing the same thing as it looks like he thought about helping but decided to go one step forward, and blow up on the OLB. That's the way I think all our guys should approach their run blocking. Don't just get in the way, blow somebody up.

But he ran right past #52, who got into the backfield, and tackled Slaton.

Meyers does a great job on the bigger NT, one on one.
Old 10-10-2009   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
First quarter

1st offensive series.

2-10

1-10

2-7

1-10
Schaub pass was a tad too high and/or long for OD.

2-10
Slaton up the middle for -1

3-11
Schaub sacked.
Winston started to lose ground; it's hard to blame MS for stepping up in the pocket,
but perhaps he should trust that Winston would regain his position?!?
Raiders had the RDE stunting inside the RDT, right to where MS stepped up.
Schaub could have stayed back in the pocket and throw quickly to Anderson.
Winston was bad from the get go. Bad feet, bad hands, playing with his shoulders too far over his feet. The DE got him off balance, & he wasn't going to recover. Winston was just bad, and has been bad. I don't understand why he doesn't get the ire that Brisiel & Meyers get.

What's really painful to watch on this play however, is Studdard & Brown botching the stunt you're talking about. Even watching it in slow-mo, I can't figure out what should happen. Hopefully Alex Gibbs can. But the DT beats Studdard so bad one on one, that Studdard wouldn't have been able to pass him off to Brown. Schaub steps up, because Studdard is actually holding the DT, and it looks like the DT is going to get through.

The best thing that could have happened on that play, I think. would have been for Winston to try to push the DE further along his arc, instead of trying to play over his feet & get in the DE's way. Matt would have stepped up regardless, because of what was happening on his left, but Winston would have been in position to stop the DE from getting to Schaub & sacking him on a 4 man rush.

We started this drive on our 37 yard line. We got 14 yards rushing, and 5 on a penalty, lost 4 to the sack. On the punt, we snapped the ball from the Raiders 49 yard line. This is at home, against a middle of the road defense. I don't understand how people can not be worried about our offense.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-10-2009 at 09:20 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Texans

3rd offensive series

1-10 Encroachment Raiders

1-5 Slaton right tackle for no gain.
Both Brisiel and Studdard were pushed into the running lane.
The way I understand the ZBS, the running lanes are where ever the offensive linemen are not. Meaning the RB is supposed to read the offensive line, then decide which gap he's going to take.

Studdard definitely pushed into the backfield. I'm not a Studdard fan, but I think he recovered fine, by throwing the DT to the ground, & pancaking him. Slaton did have to tip-toe around him, but I like saying that one of our guys threw one of their guys to the ground.

Brisiel, however, is the one doing the pushing. I think he's doing a fine job pushing his man towards the sideline. There is still a gap between Briesel & Winston. Leach gets up into that one, and is met by a LB.... hole closed.

Steve is right in the middle of a little pocket formed by Brisiel, Leach, and Winston. In my mind, he needs to do a stutter step here, see if anything develops, then decide on what he needs to do. Again, to me..... this is where a little more patience by Slaton on this play could have gone a long way.

Winston is in the backfield. If I were going to chastise any of the linemen for being in the running lane, it would be Studdard & Winston.

Duane Brown does a good job getting off the LOS. He gets in front of LB, then chases that LB around a block made by Meyers, then throws a good block on the LB.

Myers gets off the line clean. then throws a weak block at a LB. He's aiming at the thighs, but the LB extends his arms, and is only slightly impeded by the block. Greg Ellis, who was ignored at the line, and this LB that Meyers barely blocked would have tackled Slaton if Brisiels man didn't tackle him.

Again, I think Brisiel did what he was supposed to do.

Winston, really got a good, initial block on the DE. He got his shoulder into him, and was pushing him very well towards the sideline. for some reason..... he extended his arms. I think he should have kept his shoulder into his man, and continued to drive him to the sideline, until the whistle blows.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read