Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-06-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Capers Under Fire

Woodson questioning Capers....we've seen this before.

Quote:
Minneapolis — From the start of training camp through the season-opening victory against the Chicago Bears, much praise was heaped on the shoulders of new Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers for his pressure-filled scheme.

And it wasn't just by fans and the media. Capers' own players, such as cornerback Charles Woodson, often talked loudest and most glowingly about what Capers had in store for the regular season.

But after Monday night's 30-23 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, in which the defense failed to register a sack or get much production on third down, Capers' players are wondering where the pressure went.

"Well, I think we've got a lot of tools in our bag that we're not using," Woodson said. "For whatever that reason is, I don't know."

When asked if he would lobby Capers to turn the Packers loose during the bye week, Woodson said he shouldn't have to.

"I think anybody can see that," he said. "We have a lot of things that we have in the package that we can use. We've got to do it."

The Packers did not sack 39-year-old quarterback Brett Favre once although he was dropped nine times in the first three games. And they didn't hit him all that much, which was a point of emphasis this week. On one completion to obscure tight end Jeff Dugan, Favre had 7.33 seconds to complete the 25-yard pass. There was no one around Favre when he threw it, either.

Green Bay has five sacks on the season, just one in the past two games.

"I think they did a good job protecting him and we'll have to take a look at it," Capers said.

And through three quarters, the Vikings had converted seven of nine third-down opportunities (78%). At one point, the Vikings converted seven consecutive third-down opportunities.

"I think our biggest liability tonight was on third down and it was a combination of pressure and coverage," Capers said. "We have to take a look at it and get it fixed."

Several players said the Packers could only execute the defense that was called.

"You hope that guys are always playing the defense they're told to play," Capers said when informed of the players' words. "You go back to the drawing board and go to work and try to correct the errors. On third down we didn't play well enough."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63578972.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Capers Under Fire

Wow, and not one "e" word mentioned from Capers' mouth.
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

My first thought is that changing a base defense causes for some bumps in the road the first season that it happens. (Like when Buddy Ryan changed the Houston defense to the 46 in 1993.) But that doesn't account for giving Favre 7.3 seconds to complete a pass.

It seems like Capers is a shell of the former defensive mastermind since he got hired here.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I posted about how our team wasn't improving defensively but yet Capers had GB playing better in one offseason. I guess I am eating my words.

If Woodson wants to play man coverage all day long please let him know that he can come play here anytime.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I think our biggest liability tonight was on third down and it was a combination of pressure and coverage," Capers said. "We have to take a look at it and get it fixed."
Ya think?!?
Old 10-06-2009   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

classic...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #7
BY1401
14-2*

Rep Power: 13 BY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden cover

How long until Capers decides their new strategy will be to always go for it on fourth down?

-Jim Caldwell 12/23/2009
BY1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2009   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like players pointing fingers somewhere else to get the heat off of them. I think they need to STFU and go make a play.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

what i dont get with that defense is how they're using aaron kampman ... he's not an olb. capers has him squared up in a 2pt stance at the line of scrimmage and often dropping into coverage which just seems like a bad (and familiar) idea. kampman has enough of a burst and talent to still get pressure, often through sheer tenacity, but he's been taken out of a pass rusher role and is instead in a read and react position.
Old 10-06-2009   #10
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

They didn't blitz as much because with Favre Minny now has a total different threat...If you blitz, for some reason this year Favre isn't trying to make the big play on every play as in recent history (yet)...he has been hitting the check downs...also if you blitz and AP gets it past ur blitz its probably going to be lights out. Even at 39, if Favre plays within an offense he's light years ahead of Sage and Tavaris. Back to the Packers defense, when u have a team running a new base formation, the best thing to do is to run a lot of different looks/formations/personnel pkgs on offense to make the defense confused. The usually happens until the team gets the new base defense completely understood, the Bengals exposed the Packers in week 2 by doing that this. And if it weren't for a lucky 50yd TD pass late in the game against the Bears the Pack would have only 1 win (but a win is a win).
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers' gameplan appeared to be taking out AP and force Favre to make plays. Obviously, it backfired, but they did hold one of the best RBs in the league to 55 yards. I'd still take the GB defense over the Frank Bush marshmallow scheme that we seem to have right now.
Old 10-07-2009   #12
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Capers' gameplan appeared to be taking out AP and force Favre to make plays. Obviously, it backfired, but they did hold one of the best RBs in the league to 55 yards. I'd still take the GB defense over the Frank Bush marshmallow scheme that we seem to have right now.
Exactly, it's a double edged sword do you scheme to stop the NFL's best running back, or do you scheme to stop a suspect 39 year old QB without a lot of big name talent?

Woodson/Harris both got smoked in some one on one coverage early on and Favre was just all over them.. it was pretty sick how well Favre was throwing the ball on MNF.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

While we're obviously more than pleased with our first-round LB pick this year from USC, after watching the MNF game I gotta think the Packers aren't as happy with theirs ? OK he got a TD when he stole the ball from AD but he's not a starting player, which is something you'd expect from the top pick of the Packers, who don't have any better personnel than we do IMO ?
I dunno, could this have been DCs equivalent of the Babin pick for the Pack ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
While we're obviously more than pleased with our first-round LB pick this year from USC, after watching the MNF game I gotta think the Packers aren't as happy with theirs ? OK he got a TD when he stole the ball from AD but he's not a starting player, which is something you'd expect from the top pick of the Packers, who don't have any better personnel than we do IMO ?
I dunno, could this have been DCs equivalent of the Babin pick for the Pack ?
watching their pro progression i dont think they're comperable this early. both missed time, but matthews is nursing a lingering injury and in a more foreign and unestablished defensive scheme. cushing (who i admit being wholly wrong about - dude's just plain mean and has much more NFL speed than it looked on tape or in drills) is in a role he relatively knows and was able to get healthy. matthews has shown flashes but i dont think he's in a place to jump right in and be noticed.

the babin comparisson doesnt apply either IMO (unless you mean he's going to get screwed unless he gets traded quickly). clay has a moving target as far as i can tell. babin's closer to being wrongfully used as a DEFENSIVE END the same way that kampman is also being handcuffed (project babin's stats as a starter to kampman and get back to me). matthews is a blitz 3-4 OLB (dallas, baltimore, pittsburgh) or sam in a 4/3 over like with the texans (which is what cushing is familiar with from USC). he'll make plays but i think he's going to be stunted in green bay. i'm sorry, but capers sucks. in many or most situations he's had talent and during his tenure the defense has taken a step forward and then dropped like a rock. the man just does NOT see his players - he'd have mario standing up and reading the runningback.
Old 10-08-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the babin comparisson doesnt apply either IMO (unless you mean he's going to get screwed unless he gets traded quickly). clay has a moving target as far as i can tell. babin's closer to being wrongfully used as a DEFENSIVE END
Babin was a hand on the ground, 4-3 DE drafted by Capers to play OLB in his 3-4 here in Houston because of his primary skill as an effective edge-rusher in college.
I know Matthews played 4-3 OLB at college, but I think he also played some DE in that defense at USC and I dunno but think his skill as an edge-rusher (at DE, not at LB), in college is why the Pack took him in the first round ? Afterall that's the main reason why college guys are drafted to play OLB in the 3-4 and that's why I think the Babin analogy is valid ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #16
Scooter
Funky

edit

Last edited by Scooter; 10-08-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read