Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2009   #1
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where Were You 10 Years Ago?

On October 6, 1999 the NFL awarded the Texans to Houston.

Where were you when you heard the news?

I was driving to work that morning when the news became official, listening to 610 with John and Lance just as I was driving into downtown. John Granato broke the news and said something to effect of if your in your car start honking your horn, we have NFL football again. I started honking like crazy. I got alot of looks from the cars around me. Needless to say, I didn't get much done at work that day.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Where Were You 10 Years Ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post

I was driving to work that morning when the news became official, listening to 610 with John and Lance just as I was driving into downtown. John Granato broke the news and said something to effect of if your in your car start honking your horn, we have NFL football again. I started honking like crazy. I got alot of looks from the cars around me. Needless to say, I didn't get much done at work that day.
Was in pittsburgh at the time working, ultimately I never thought I would be back in Houston and was still made that my oilers were in TN. So I was glad that Houston had football again but didn't feel the same.

Now I'm back in Houston, and wish I would have at last bought some PSL's..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Man 10 years sure went by fast didn't it?

Anyways, unfortunetly I was up in Dallas.........but I came back as soon as I could.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #4
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I was getting ready for college and honestly didn't get all that excited when we got the Texans. I followed the stories and the expansion draft. They were my NFL team, if I could be said to have one. But after the Oilers were taken away I really gave up on the NFL. It took me years to really invest myself in any team. I just played fantasy football, watched more baseball (which I always loved anyway --- Minute Maid was a blast to see in person as well) and followed my college team. The Horns are never moving, after all. And I wasn't all that giddy when they charged the city a billion dollars for the privilege of buying tickets and being held ransom again.

It probably took me 4-5 years to really care about the Texans. I was living in Austin during the Capers era and probably watched 4-5 games a year from first snap to last -- basically when they were on TV and I hadn't gone to a sports bar to watch all the games at once. I didn't record the games or watch them with a critical eye. I was very excited about Kubiak, but like just about everyone else wasn't happy at all with the Mario pick. I wasn't going to stop liking him over one draft though. I was willing to give him a chance to build a team. I also am not nearly as disgusted with McNair as I was with Adams. I don't think he's perfect, but he's not a mercenary. He's at least loyal.

Living in Houston again these days, I'm probably more of a Texans fan than Longhorns. I go to one or two games a year and watch em all. I know the Texans team much better than UT's at least.

Basically 10 years ago I still hadn't gotten over it. I was pissed at the NFL and wasn't going to reward them with my money or my emotional investment. I didn't think they were worth it.

Last edited by Dan B.; 10-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I was online in Austin, on the LA Times forum. Giving TJ Simers the what for. Hey TJ...you probably still think the NFL will change their mind and award the expansion franchise to LA. What a moron.
Old 10-06-2009   #6
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Senior year of high school in Seattle.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #7
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

I was 11 years old, and barely knew the game of Football existed. My only contact with the sport, let alone The Texans, was going to Chelsea (soccer) games every other weekend, and teasing a friend, who is a Pats fan, about liking 'Rugby with protective pads'.
Old 10-06-2009   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting ready to go to class...in the 4th grade.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was working downtown in the same building McNair's company was HQ'd in (Pennzoil Place). Very shortly after the announcement, the Texans Store opened in the lobby of the building, and all the Chiefs fans in my family got Texans stuff that Christmas.
Old 10-06-2009   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was 10 & wasn't really rooting for any team in football. Started rooting for the Texans as soon as I heard about them, though. I remember watching the expansion draft. Seems so long ago now.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Was living in Oregon and that day I decided I was going to be a diehard. I didn't even know the organization was going to be as impressive as it is. But the namesake and the clean slate were enough for me.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #12
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Getting ready to go to class...in the 4th grade.
Same. But I was in the 3rd grade.
Old 10-06-2009   #13
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I was envisioning another Oilers and i was awefully glad to finally have a team in Texas to root for.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post

I was here in Houston.
I'm pretty sure I heard about it at work.

I was obsessed all day with what division we'd be in and how the conf/divisional alignment would change.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I was working downtown in the same building McNair's company was HQ'd in (Pennzoil Place). Very shortly after the announcement, the Texans Store opened in the lobby of the building, and all the Chiefs fans in my family got Texans stuff that Christmas.
I didn't think they named the team until the following January...??
Old 10-06-2009   #16
TexanPulse
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanPulse is a quality contributor and well respected

Started drinking for Texas-OU somewhere in Austin...I'm not too sure where...I believe I had some classes in between as well. Possibly an Orgo exam.

It all worked out in the end.

Welcome all.
TexanPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanPulse View Post
Started drinking for Texas-OU somewhere in Austin...I'm not too sure where...I believe I had some classes in between as well. Possibly an Orgo exam.

It all worked out in the end.

Welcome all.
Good Grief dude! That was a Wednesday!
LOL
Old 10-06-2009   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I didn't think they named the team until the following January...??
Actually, they named it in Sept. 2000, so it was the following Christmas I was thinking of.
Old 10-06-2009   #19
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

wow i was 10 years old and i remember my dad telling me and i remember say to him they were gonna be terrible... lol then 2 years later they were my favorite team... and they were terrible hahah
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see, 10 years ago I was 48, not 58, and I was still a dirty old man then just as I am now. The Texans are still inconsistent with no playoffs in sight, so nothing has changed there either.

As to where exactly I was ten years ago, hell, I can't remember where I was last week.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read