Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2009   #41
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We need to go 3-3 next 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

This franchise can't afford to take a step back and based on what I have seen, I would take 3-3.
I agreed with your whole post except this line. 3-3 and 2-2 is still 8-8 and even if that isn't technically a step back it sure isn't a step forward. +.500 ball is the next step forward.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #42
midgetonadonkey
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 midgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVP

I think the focus needs to be on the next game.

One game at a time.
midgetonadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #43
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I agreed with your whole post except this line. 3-3 and 2-2 is still 8-8 and even if that isn't technically a step back it sure isn't a step forward. +.500 ball is the next step forward.
I hear you - What I was trying to say is if that we are at 5-5, we have a good shot of being a 9 win team with 6 games remaining. At 5-5, we just have to win 4 of 6 to end with the best record in franchise history.

I agree that 8-8 is not a step forward. I also think that Kubes will need 10 wins to keep his job.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #44
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Arizona- L great offenses, average/bad d
Cincy- W i think we are overall a better team than they are
San Fran- L defense is too much to handle, much less the offense...
Buffalo- W great team, but depends which texans shows up
Indy- W I think we'll get our revenge from last year here...
Tenn- W need i say anything?
Old 10-06-2009   #45
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Step right up and get your tasty, tasty koolaide right here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The Jets and Baltimore are better ball clubs right now until proven otherwise. They play great defense and can run the hell out of the ball......that's what you need to win consistently, especially on the road.
yep. We are nowhere near the level of where the Jets and Ravens are playing right now. It is delusional for Texans fans to think that some kind of magic is going to morph our team into the caliber of these teams. Our secondary stinks and our entire D has 3 sacks in four games.

Obviously, things can change, but I do not see what others are seeing in our first four games to think that we are just around the corner of wildcard or division champ greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
We will be 1-4 over our next 5. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I hate to say it, but this is pretty much what I'm expecting, as well. I think we will be competitive and plays some close games against certain teams, but a road team we are not (6-18 the past three seasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
Really man 6 games? I will guarantee we win more than 6 games on our schedule...Those all are games we could win..Maybe ur underestimating us. I know this may sound dumb, but if you minus just 4 plays(big plays) from this season our D's ranking is considerably better. I think that's more of where are defense will be as the season goes on as we make adjustments and not give up those big rushing TDs...I believe our offense will do even better and maybe even surprise u... Cincy, Buffalo, and Arizona I think will all miss the postseason, I'd love for us to help them..
How do you minus big plays? I've checked the NFL.com site, and it doesn't mention anything on there about removing specific plays from previous games. The last I checked, those plays are indicative of our defense as a whole.

I think we have some great potential in certain players, but as an entire unit, they suck. Oakland changes nothing, simply because they suck, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unfortunately I canít bring myself to believe the Texans have truly turned the corner into a playoff team yet. I wish that werenít the case. Right now I see 3-3 over the next six games as the best possible outcome for them, because I can also see them going 2-4 over that time. The Texans need to put it together for a whole season, not just a few games, to get some of us to truly believe they are a playoff team. Right now, they arenít doing it.

Still love Ďem though, canít help myself in that regard.
I feel the same way. I guess I gotta' disclaimer my Texans fandom by saying Texans fan for life here, but I don't wear blinders or drink koolaide. I somehow see the same games that everyone else sees, but I'm not getting all warm and fuzzy about our defense magically transforming into being good overnight. In the course of history, these things usually take some time to develop.
Old 10-06-2009   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
How do you minus big plays? I've checked the NFL.com site, and it doesn't mention anything on there about removing specific plays from previous games. The last I checked, those plays are indicative of our defense as a whole.
come on DB, take away the height and the Transco tower isn't any taller than your house.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #47
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Cincy- W i think we are overall a better team than they are
How so???

offenses are even, but they have a better RB

QBs are about a wash

and

They have a MUCH better defense. They're also 3-1 (only loss coming on a fluke play) with quality wins against the Steelers and Packers.....we're 2-2, with victories over a 0-4 Titans team and a 1-3 horrible Raiders team.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2009   #48
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Step right up and get your tasty, tasty koolaide right here!

yep. We are nowhere near the level of where the Jets and Ravens are playing right now. It is delusional for Texans fans to think that some kind of magic is going to morph our team into the caliber of these teams. Our secondary stinks and our entire D has 3 sacks in four games.

Obviously, things can change, but I do not see what others are seeing in our first four games to think that we are just around the corner of wildcard or division champ greatness.

I hate to say it, but this is pretty much what I'm expecting, as well. I think we will be competitive and plays some close games against certain teams, but a road team we are not (6-18 the past three seasons).

I think we have some great potential in certain players, but as an entire unit, they suck. Oakland changes nothing, simply because they suck, too.

I feel the same way. I guess I gotta' disclaimer my Texans fandom by saying Texans fan for life here, but I don't wear blinders or drink koolaide. I somehow see the same games that everyone else sees, but I'm not getting all warm and fuzzy about our defense magically transforming into being good overnight. In the course of history, these things usually take some time to develop.
Agree! Like I said earlier, some are riding too high after a win against a really bad team. We havent shown anything that would make me think we have a legitamate shot at the playoffs. Untill we show we can consistantly play against good teams, im sticking to my prediction of 6 wins. 8 and 8 looks like the ceiling for this team to me.

If we do go 8 & 8 or worse I hope Fisher gets fired up in possum holler and we bring him home and while we at it hire Floyd Reese back as GM as well.
Old 10-06-2009   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Let's all be real here the secondary is going to be taken to school against any team with any type of passing game whatsoever. The Raiders do not ever know what that means so right away we're all getting excited. 65 yards for Steve is not a big deal. Just wait untill he goes up against a run stuffing team he'll be lucky to run back to the LOS for no gain unless he turns things around in a hurry and gets back to running like he ran last season. His TD's on Sunday were great but don't get me wrong but they were in large part due to wonderful OL blocking that lead the way. Way to go Ryan Moats. I live by one game at a time and anything might happen on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY OUT THERE.
Old 10-09-2009   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Let's all be real here the secondary is going to be taken to school against any team with any type of passing game whatsoever. The Raiders do not ever know what that means so right away we're all getting excited. 65 yards for Steve is not a big deal. Just wait untill he goes up against a run stuffing team he'll be lucky to run back to the LOS for no gain unless he turns things around in a hurry and gets back to running like he ran last season. His TD's on Sunday were great but don't get me wrong but they were in large part due to wonderful OL blocking that lead the way. Way to go Ryan Moats. I live by one game at a time and anything might happen on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY OUT THERE.
Gary, do not worry. If Slaton is slowed, we have a steady power back to give the ball to. His name is..uh, I guess we don't have one. But never mind, I am sure we can sign an undrafted free agent next year that will do just fine.
Old 10-09-2009   #51
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
We would have an outside chance of making playoffs if we finish house afire.
We need to go 3-3? Why so we can have another season of 8-8? What the hell would that accomplish??
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #52
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking at 11-5. We're healthy and things are coming together. I expect to win 3 of the next 4. We aren't outclassed in any of these games. If the team plays the way it has since the 2nd quarter of the Tennessee game, we are going to do very well. I know we struggled vs. the Jags but simple lineup changes and the return of guys like Reeves and Eugene Wilson will take care of those...cough.... (Fred Bennett)... problems.

I just genuinely think this team is getting really good. If Okoye plays like he has the past two weeks, our DL rotation with Cody and Robinson is adequate. Our DEs are quite good and our LB corp is playing great. Dunta is losing his rust. Quin looks pretty good. Reeves is back. Eugene Wilson is back. Pollard can hit and tackle... Heck, even Dominique Barber seemed to have a clue last week. And, offensively, Slaton is looking better and Schaub is on his way to a career year and a probable probowl. And, the team is healthy.

This team could lose or win any game that remains. But, I think only the game @Indy and possibly the game vs. NE are uphill battles for this team. In addition, I think Cincinnati, Buffalo, SF, Seattle, St. Louis are all teams that don't match up to us talent-wise... Of course we could lose to them but we can also win with less than our best performance. So, finishing the season 9-3 seems likely to me even though I here a voice in my head that says God doesn't like me enough to allow that to happen.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #53
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think we can be 6-4 heading into the home indy game in which case i never really know what's going to happen there. Let's say we lose that game and are sitting at 6-5.

@Jax: W- we're gonna steal this one from them like they stole one from us.
Seattle:W-we usually always have it pretty well put together at home during these months of the season, can't see how we lose.
@St Louis: W-they're the Rams.
@Miami: L- a winnable game, but it gets away from us.
New England: W-we're hoping by this point they have nothing to play for and we squeak out a win against their scrubs.

Leaves us at 10-6. Everyone is happy in Houston.
Old 10-11-2009   #54
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 166 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

Just noticed how many responses I got to this original post. I am not seeking mediocrity, I believe we are a mediocre team with mediocre coaching at best. My theory was that 3-3 would be about as good as we could do and maybe by that time we could get some confidence in spite of it all and go on a run and slip into the playoffs. We have been a team just going through the motions for years.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read